mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "motif2text App For Windows Released"

Page 2 of 4
Posted on: February 10, 2014 @ 08:08 PM
VikasSharma
Total Posts:  1523
Joined  10-05-2010
5pinDIN - 10 February 2014 01:48 PM

In case anyone wants to put a shortcut to motif2text on their desktop, I created an icon for it, attached in a zip file.

Nice (and relevant) icon, 5pinDIN!

I’m already using it, however, I’d appreciate if you could produce a high-resolution version of the icon.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 10, 2014 @ 08:29 PM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011
VikasSharma - 10 February 2014 08:08 PM

...I’m already using it, however, I’d appreciate if you could produce a high-resolution version of the icon.

VikasSharma, you are being quite demanding with this request!

Sorry for my desperate attempt at facetious humor!

Your contributions to this Forum are the most considered and even-tempered across-the-board as any other contributor, hands down!  You are a true gentleman.

Unfortunately, as 5pinDIN has observed, your posts of recent vintage have been...sadly...scarce!

Very nice to ‘see’ you!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 10, 2014 @ 08:40 PM
stoneb3
Total Posts:  851
Joined  06-05-2011

Yes cmayhle I’ve noticed a sort of mystical calming effect when Vikas appears. Not to mention he hasn’t aged a day. Hopefully 5pin will hook him up with an icon for the ages.

Stone

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 10, 2014 @ 08:48 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

I’m already using it, however, I’d appreciate if you could produce a high-resolution version of the icon.

I’ll likely do that, when I get a chance. The first release was a bit rushed, and I was being stingy with the bits.  :-)

Have you tried the program on a wide range of files yet? That is, not just XF “All” files (X3A), but others such as X3V, X3S, X0A, X0V, etc? I’m getting some error screens, but I’m wondering if its just happening with my Win XP installation.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 10, 2014 @ 08:48 PM
Michael Trigoboff
Total Posts:  647
Joined  09-05-2011
stoneb3 - 10 February 2014 08:40 PM

Yes cmayhle I’ve noticed a sort of mystical calming effect when Vikas appears. Not to mention he hasn’t aged a day. Hopefully 5pin will hook him up with an icon for the ages.

Stone

:-)

Maybe music keeps him young.

According to my picture, I haven’t aged a day either. But it looks better on Vikas…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 10, 2014 @ 09:21 PM
VikasSharma
Joined  10-05-2010
cmayhle - 10 February 2014 08:29 PM

...you are being quite demanding with this request!

When it comes to 5pinDIN, my expectations are always “high”! ;-)

Sorry for my desperate attempt at facetious humor!

Thanks for starting my day with a smile! :-)

Your contributions to this Forum are the most considered and even-tempered across-the-board as any other contributor, hands down!  You are a true gentleman.

Ah, far more than what I ‘actually’ deserve, but thanks very much for those kind words. I’ve received a lot more from this forum than what I’ve been able to contribute.

Unfortunately, as 5pinDIN has observed, your posts of recent vintage have been...sadly...scarce!

Very nice to ‘see’ you!

I’ve been trying to ’focus more on learning and practicing music‘ (the excuse) and my wife is particularly annoyed when she sees Motifator on my browser screen (the real reason).

Thank you once again! :-)

Michael Trigoboff - 10 February 2014 08:48 PM
stoneb3 - 10 February 2014 08:40 PM

Stone

:-)

Maybe music keeps him young.

According to my picture, I haven’t aged a day either. But it looks better on Vikas…

Thank you, stoneb3 and Michael Trigoboff!

Well, music does help but I guess it’s more an effect of the joy that people like you bring to my life!

I’m currently 34 and my kid who wasn’t born when I got the XF6 in Oct’10 has turned 3 yesterday! He loves his Motif and spends a good deal of time on it!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 10, 2014 @ 11:21 PM
Michael Trigoboff
Joined  09-05-2011
5pinDIN - 10 February 2014 08:48 PM

Have you tried the program on a wide range of files yet? That is, not just XF “All” files (X3A), but others such as X3V, X3S, X0A, X0V, etc? I’m getting some error screens, but I’m wondering if its just happening with my Win XP installation.

Screen shots of the error screens could be very useful in tracking down the bugs you’re running into.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 11, 2014 @ 12:16 AM
VikasSharma
Joined  10-05-2010
Michael Trigoboff - 10 February 2014 11:21 PM

Screen shots of the error screens could be very useful in tracking down the bugs you’re running into.

Here are some.

I’m not getting the errors every time. Mostly, it works the 1st time I select a file and gives an error if select a different type of file subsequently without closing the program.

But sometimes, it gives an error even on the 1st instance.

Hope that helps.

Image Attachments
Error.n3.X3P.pngError.n3.X3S.pngError.n3.X3V.png
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 11, 2014 @ 12:24 AM
Michael Trigoboff
Joined  09-05-2011
VikasSharma - 11 February 2014 12:16 AM
Michael Trigoboff - 10 February 2014 11:21 PM

Here are some.

I’m not getting the errors every time. Mostly, it works the 1st time I select a file and gives an error if select a different type of file subsequently without closing the program.

But sometimes, it gives an error even on the 1st instance.

Hope that helps.

Very helpful. If you could upload the files that caused these errors (or attach to a private msg), and say which file caused which error screen, that would be great. Do particular files always cause these errors?

Do you ever see this problem with “all” files?

Did you ever see this kind of crash using the previous command line python script?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 11, 2014 @ 01:50 AM
VikasSharma
Joined  10-05-2010
Michael Trigoboff - 11 February 2014 12:24 AM

If you could upload the files that caused these errors (or attach to a private msg), and say which file caused which error screen, that would be great.

See the files in the attached zip file ‘XFFactory.zip’.

Do particular files always cause these errors?

Follow this sequence and see for yourself:
1. Run the program.
2. Press ‘Select File’.
3. Choose ‘XF-Factory-IIAF.n3.X3A’.
4. Press ‘All’.
5. Press ‘Create Text’.

It creates a text file with the desired outcome and opens it in your default text editor.

6. Now (without closing the program) press ‘Select File’ again.
7. Choose ‘FactorySongs.n3.X3S’ or ‘FactoryPatterns.n3.X3P’.
8. Press ‘All’.
9. Press ‘Create Text’.

Do you get any error message?

Do you ever see this problem with “all” files?

None so far.

Did you ever see this kind of crash using the previous command line python script?

Again, none so far.

Perhaps that’s because one has to run the program afresh for each new Motif file. It looks like you’re not clearing certain program variables on each press of the ‘Select File’ button (wild guess).

File Attachments
XFFactory.zip  (File Size: 823KB - Downloads: 315)
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 11, 2014 @ 07:28 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
5pinDIN - 10 February 2014 08:48 PM

I’ll likely do that, when I get a chance. The first release was a bit rushed, and I was being stingy with the bits.  :-)

It seems that I was actually too generous with the bits originally!

Apparently the bitmap image (BMP) I created and converted to an icon was slightly too high in resolution, and didn’t convert to 32x32 pixels smoothly. I redid the BMP in 32x32, and the converted icon looks a lot better, at least on my monitors.

The new version is attached.

Please let me know if it’s up to expected standards.  ;-)

File Attachments
MOTIF2TEXT_32icon.zip  (File Size: 1KB - Downloads: 309)
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 11, 2014 @ 10:07 AM
VikasSharma
Joined  10-05-2010
5pinDIN - 11 February 2014 07:28 AM

The new version is attached.

Please let me know if it’s up to expected standards.  ;-)

This new version looks really cool. Thanks for your work!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 11, 2014 @ 10:07 AM
Michael Trigoboff
Joined  09-05-2011
VikasSharma - 11 February 2014 01:50 AM

Perhaps that’s because one has to run the program afresh for each new Motif file. It looks like you’re not clearing certain program variables on each press of the ‘Select File’ button (wild guess).

Excellent “wild guess.” I would say you have great potential as a programmer, should that career ever appeal to you.

The same thing had occurred to me.

I have fixed that particular problem now, and here is version 1.01. I haven’t had time to check the files you uploaded, but I will do that later today.

Thanks to everyone who took time to test this app and report bugs (and create icons).

Let me know if you run into any problems with this new version.

Download new version from first message in thread.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 11, 2014 @ 10:34 AM
VikasSharma
Joined  10-05-2010
Michael Trigoboff - 11 February 2014 10:07 AM

Excellent “wild guess.” I would say you have great potential as a programmer, should that career ever appeal to you.

Well, to be honest, the guess was not all that ‘wild’ after all. After having done B.Tech. in Computer Sc. & Engg. from one of the National Institutes of Technology in India, it was more of an educated guess. C and C++ used to be my favorite languages during my study days and, in the past 12 years or so of my work life, I’ve had the chance to work on a plethora of various technologies including ASP, HTML, JavaScript, ColdFusion, Oracle DB, D2K, Java, SAP ABAP, etc.

My role has changed now but a few things still remain. ;-) (Sorry for the long lecture!)

I have fixed that particular problem now, and here is version 1.01.
Let me know if you run into any problems with this new version.

In my cursory test, all is well.

Thanks once again!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 11, 2014 @ 01:37 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

[...]Let me know if you run into any problems with this new version.

I haven’t had a chance to do in-depth testing yet, but so far it’s much better.

However, I’m still experiencing problems with XS “All” files (X0A). I’ve attached a zip with an X0A and resulting files that illustrate the problems. If “All” is selected in the program (every box checked), it crashes when “Create Text” is clicked (see screen capture in the attached zip). If every box except “Masters” is checked, it doesn’t crash but the text has errors - names of Songs, Patterns, Chains, and Mixings are all missing the first letter.
From the file that I renamed to “Factory Content.X0A._NoMasters.txt”:
Songs
01: ain after the Game (missing “R”)
02: emory of the King (missing “M”)
03: cellent Session (missing “X”)

The file I renamed “Factory Content.X0A_All.txt” illustrates what happens when every box is checked - it gets up to the start of the Masters, and fails at that point.

To be clear on the above - these problems do not occur with XF “All” (X3A) files.

There are a couple of other issues…

1) Would it be possible to incorporate a means of deleting the created text file if a permanent copy wasn’t wanted? Most of the time I would want to see the content of a Motif file on screen, but not need a record of it to remain on the drive.

2) It appears that the program opens a file on the drive for the text output without checking that the selected input file is valid. If “Create Text” is clicked in that circumstance, not only does that result in a crash and the error screen display, but an empty text file is written to the drive. Probably it would be good to verify that the selected file at least has a valid extension.

Thanks very much for making your program available to us - it’s a valuable aid, and I know how much time and effort it takes to create something like this.

File Attachments
Motif2text Errors.zip  (File Size: 335KB - Downloads: 289)
  [ Ignore ]  

Page 2 of 4

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Karma questions
Next Topic:

Gig Bag ››