mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Karma questions"

Posted on: February 09, 2014 @ 04:27 PM
richie1027
Total Posts:  686
Joined  10-14-2008

I reviewed a few threads about the karma motif program, got a helpful reply from Steven Kay about some questions, and read 27 different responses about experience with Karma (from motifator and other forums) and slightly over 50% were positive.  I write this pt preface I still have some critical questions in my understanding if this algorithmic generator (?). 

1.  Is it as restrictive as it sounds?  One has to use the preset z64 songs to begin the process?  I understand that other performances can be used down the road but some instructions stated it was suggested you learn on the karma setup.  MY CONCERN is that I may not even like the style of music if it isn’t R&R;..I don’t do dance, funk, chill, house and other stuff. 

2.  Nuclear whether the generated arpeggios can be used with performances and patterns/songs outside of Karma.  Again, my understanding is that once karma is loaded, you’ve essentially filled all26 song slots and he performances available are the ones formatted for Karma

I may be using the incorrect phraseology for this, but it’s the best I can tdo to describe what I’m reading and seeing in the YouTube Karma promo.

Steven even questioned if the karma could do what I was hoping for....l
Talk about honesty in business.  I applaud him for that.  Yet I’m looking for any reason to get this program cuz it LOOKS very cool.

Any detailed on WHAT YOU USE IT FOR, EASY OF USE, ETC.. GREATLY APPRECIATED.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 09, 2014 @ 04:51 PM
Cloud9tn
Total Posts:  30
Joined  01-25-2014

Everyones opinions are different, but take it from a guy who bought a Korg Karma (just because of the Karma), I thought it was over-rated.

You could do some neat stuff with it but how much is ‘neat’ stuff worth?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 09, 2014 @ 06:36 PM
Stephen Kay
Total Posts:  169
Joined  01-13-2011
Cloud9tn - 09 February 2014 04:51 PM

Everyones opinions are different, but take it from a guy who bought a Korg Karma (just because of the Karma), I thought it was over-rated.

I’d like to point out that the Korg Karma Workstation you are referring to was released in 2001, and had KARMA Version 1 in it. That was 13 years ago; KARMA (in the KARMA Motif software) is now at Version 3 (third-generation) and has been greatly expanded and improved from its initial incarnation. It does a lot more now - as long as one likes that sort of thing (arpeggios, drum grooves, backing track generation etc.)

You could do some neat stuff with it but how much is ‘neat’ stuff worth?

Maybe not enough to justify buying an entire workstation, but as a software program that isn’t very expensive (compared to some) it might be worth it. ;-)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 09, 2014 @ 07:00 PM
Stephen Kay
Total Posts:  169
Joined  01-13-2011
richie1027 - 09 February 2014 04:27 PM

Steven even questioned if the karma could do what I was hoping for....
Talk about honesty in business.  I applaud him for that.

Thanks. I never want to steer a customer wrong and sell him/her a program that isn’t what they want, just to make money. That just leads to headaches that are better being avoided. :-)

1.  Is it as restrictive as it sounds?  One has to use the preset z64 songs to begin the process?  I understand that other performances can be used down the road but some instructions stated it was suggested you learn on the karma setup.  MY CONCERN is that I may not even like the style of music if it isn’t R&R;..I don’t do dance, funk, chill, house and other stuff.

I remember you contacting me recently. Based on what you’ve said, I’m not sure you’ll be happy with the program - as I told you via email. I would say that the focus of the program (initially) is on playing with the preset material that we supply - and modifying it to your taste. And at the moment, there’s not a lot of “rock n’ roll” in there. There’s a fairly wide variety of stuff, but it’s fair to say it’s skewed more towards the dance, trance, electronica, hip-hop and so forth styles. The Performance Notes lists the included KARMA Performances, styles, and other information - and each Performance has extensive notes about it (click on the individual titles).

2.  Nuclear (sic) “Unclear” whether the generated arpeggios can be used with performances and patterns/songs outside of Karma.  Again, my understanding is that once karma is loaded, you’ve essentially filled all26 song slots and he performances available are the ones formatted for Karma

Yes, it’s true that the way it works is to fill all 64 Songs in the Song Mode with “KARMA Performances” - these are up to 16 track multi-channel setups that play the various KARMA phrases and allow you to play keyboard parts on top of them - from there it’s an easy step to record the results of your performance into the internal sequencer (or an external sequencing program).  Each one of them goes with a KARMA Performance in the software; when you select that KARMA Performance, it calls up the appropriate Song that goes with it. However, that’s not to say that you cannot “clear” one or more of those Song slots at anytime in order to create something new.

The software also works in any of the Motif’s modes - so you *could* create something that goes with a specific Voice, or Yamaha Performance - but this needs to be programmed by yourself and requires some understanding of the whole MIDI routing and setup of a KARMA Performance.

I’m not sure if any of that helps, but thanks for your interest!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 09, 2014 @ 07:41 PM
richie1027
Total Posts:  686
Joined  10-14-2008

Stephen Stephen Stephen....you keep talking me out of buying your product!  Seriously though, your integrity is refreshing.  Guess I was looking for a loophole or some facet that would appeal to me (more).

Who knows..  I still may purchase....

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 09, 2014 @ 07:45 PM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011
richie1027 - 09 February 2014 07:41 PM

Stephen Stephen Stephen....you keep talking me out of buying your product!  Seriously though, your integrity is refreshing.  Guess I was looking for a loophole or some facet that would appeal to me (more).

Who knows..  I still may purchase....

I too find Stephen Kay’s sincerity extremely commendable!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 10, 2014 @ 06:29 PM
jazz.preest
Total Posts:  263
Joined  06-06-2013
Stephen Kay - 09 February 2014 07:00 PM

..I would say that the focus of the program (initially) is on playing with the preset material that we supply - and modifying it to your taste…

...The software also works in any of the Motif’s modes - so you *could* create something that goes with a specific Voice, or Yamaha Performance - but this needs to be programmed by yourself and requires some understanding of the whole MIDI routing and setup of a KARMA Performance.

I appreciate Stephen’s candor as well; will be looking at future releases of Karma Motif software (and, hopefully, supporting “Step-by-Step” performance creation guides) that enable a Karma Motif customer to not only perform with and ‘tweak’ Factory Performances, but to develop - from scratch - Karma Performance sets within genres of choice.

As a side note, I’ve the same “wish it were available” desire for a Yamaha software application that enables the creation of harmonically-integrated user arpeggios for the Motif / MOX line or styles for the Tyros/PSR line.

[ Ignore ]