mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Can’t master Master Mode"

Posted on: January 28, 2014 @ 05:58 PM
pianoman58
Total Posts:  36
Joined  03-03-2013

I need help please with the Master Mode, I know this is probably midi 101 but I am just not understanding how to set this up. I have read almost every post on this forum and “understanding s90ES master mode” (not sure if that directly relates to my s90XS) .

What I want to accomplish:
I have had great success creating Performances and using them live.  Now I would like to send different program change message to Roland sh o1 each time I select a new performance on the s90xs. I have concluded from this forum that this is done in master mode and cannot be done in performance mode. Correct?

I have successfully saved a couple of performances to a master to work on. I do not want the
S90 to play the notes of the Roland, just send program change. I have tried setting the high note limit to low and the low note limit to high but that keeps the s90 from sounding as well as the Roland.

I am using zone 1. I have not been able to execute the program change either. In Common I have the Zone and knob/slider switches set to ON.  In Transmit I have the internal and external bank and pc set to ON. In Preset I have midi send switch ON.  I really don’t understand what to put for Most significant byte and least significant byte. The Roland MIDI implementation chart does not list msb/lsb only program change as 0-63 . (8 banks of 8 presets).
After saving the Master and then selecting it again the Roland reverts to what sounds like a basic initialized sound.

I know it is possible to do and is a common set up.  In spite of my research I am obviously missing something. (Or maybe a lot) All help greatly appreciated ! Best regards.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 28, 2014 @ 06:55 PM
pianoman58
Joined  03-03-2013

I found another Roland Midi Implementation Chart that has much more information than the one in the owners manual.  It lists msb as 087 and lsb as 000. So I have my master mode sending program change. Still need some help with settings and not wanting to hear the sound of Roland being played from s90 keyboard.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 28, 2014 @ 07:07 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Please see the following PDF article… If you still have questions post back here.

Yamaha S90XS/S70XS Master Mode

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 28, 2014 @ 07:49 PM
pianoman58
Joined  03-03-2013

Thank you sir for directing me to correct power user guide. I will study it and work with it and get back to you.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 01, 2014 @ 07:36 PM
pianoman58
Joined  03-03-2013

I have studied the “MASTER MODE"guide you referred me to. I have backed up ALL to a USB.  I am able to create a master program associated to a PERFORMANCE.  I have transmitted program change to my Roland sh 01.  I am using zone 1. 

Need help with:
I do not want to “play” the Roland from the s90. I just want to transmit program change.
I tried setting the note limit to create a no fly zone as I read in another post but that turned off the sound of the s90xs as well as the Roland. I obviously do not have something set correctly.

Help please !

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 01, 2014 @ 08:57 PM
S70xs_user
Total Posts:  60
Joined  09-02-2012

You are making good progress.

What you need is to use 2 separate zones (they can still both be channel 1) . Setup one of these for the S90, with internal switch on and external switch off. The other for the Roland, internal switch off, external switch on and a no fly zone.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 02, 2014 @ 02:51 PM
pianoman58
Joined  03-03-2013

Hey thanks a lot !! Set up zone 1 like you said.  set zone 2 like you said and turned Transmit Ext. Bank select on, Ext PC On, put the preset msb/lsb and PC for the Roland in zone 2 with no fly zone.  Does all this sound correct ?? Seems to be working ok.

Question, in the past I have used a different performance for each song and now I’m creating a master associated with each performance. I like to use the “MIXING” window to view the order of the voices in the PERFORMANCE (I turn the PARTS on and off during the song).  However it doesn’t appear to be active in MASTER MODE. Is there any way to view the PARTS of the PERFORMANCE in MASTER MODE ?

Many thanks for your help !

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 03, 2014 @ 01:01 AM
S70xs_user
Total Posts:  60
Joined  09-02-2012

Glad I could help with your initial question.

Now with your new question, I can’t access my own keyboard right now to try this out, but I THINK that if you just want to turn performance parts on/off whilst in Master Mode, you can do that using the panel buttons.

See p8 of ‘Understanding Master Mode’ and let us know if this solves your problem.

NOTE - this is using the Master in performance mode, not multi mode.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 03, 2014 @ 09:30 PM
pianoman58
Joined  03-03-2013

Yes you are correct it is possible to turn the parts on and off.  I would like to be able to “VIEW” the parts of the PERFORMANCE on the screen by pressing the MIXING button as can be done when not in MASTER MODE, but it doesn’t seem to be possible in MASTER MODE.  just wondering if there was a way.  Sorry for so many questions but I think I am starting to understand this thanks to you and Bad Mister’s “Understanding Master Mode”.

In my band we use two vocal harmonizers. I transmit midi note data from s90xs to these. I will try using ZONE 3 to send midi note data using a DIFFERENT midi channel to the harmonizers. Of course I realize I will have to change these to receive midi on same channel.

[ Ignore ]