mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Next level Pattern Sequence question"

Posted on: January 16, 2014 @ 09:49 AM
jerrydpi
Total Posts:  973
Joined  11-03-2012

I’m over last nights fiasco, but as is said,

Many a tear has to fall but it’s all in the game.

Tonight I’m going to attempt to record just one Section from a Performance.

Here’s what I want to do:

I want to record the Performance, but I want to substitute Addictive Drums for the Yamaha Drums Voice.

Please note that the Yamaha Drums have an ARP associated with it.

In addition:

I want to substitute Trilian Bass for the Yamaha Bass Guitar Voice (no ARP on the Electric Bass).

I know how to set up Logic Pro X, but how do I set up the MOXF to do the above substitutions correctly when I’m recording the Performance?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 16, 2014 @ 09:52 AM
miden
Total Posts:  618
Joined  09-22-2005

I repeat what I have said to you a few times now - record this stuff to your DAW and then ALL of these things you are trying to do will be soooo much easier.

This 1001 questions stuff is simply going to waste more of your creative time…

Get the data into a DAW sequencer as MIDI and then start producing your songs there!!!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 16, 2014 @ 10:04 AM
jerrydpi
Joined  11-03-2012
miden - 16 January 2014 09:52 AM

I repeat what I have said to you a few times now - record this stuff to your DAW and then ALL of these things you are trying to do will be soooo much easier.

This 1001 questions stuff is simply going to waste more of your creative time…

Get the data into a DAW sequencer as MIDI and then start producing your songs there!!!

That you have my man!!

MIDI is my weak point, so would you please walk me through every step/settings to get the MIDI data into my DAW

Thanks again!

Jerry

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 17, 2014 @ 10:05 AM
miden
Joined  09-22-2005

Sorry Jerry, was away -

Simply set the MIDI out for the Performance to on, start record on the DAW sequencer start playing the perf :-)

Or the full answer ;-) : In Perf Mode with the desired perf selected, press Arp Edit (F5) and turn Output switch to ON, and set a channel for the part. Rinse and repeat for all required parts of the performance. You select each part (1-4) using the Part Select buttons.

So you set this for each arp in each part...or whatever arps you want to record.

As a suggestion, do a separate pass for each of the Arp variations set up on a new set of tracks in the DAW, you don’t really have to do this, but it does make it a bit easier to “cut and paste” later, when you have different variations on different sets of tracks.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 17, 2014 @ 07:00 PM
jerrydpi
Joined  11-03-2012

miden,

No need to apologize, we all have lives outside of music:-)

This sounds interesting!

What I don’t understand is:
1) This means I can record all four Parts of the Performance at one time (great if so!)?
2) If I’m recording MIDI, how does my DAW have the MOXF Voices recorded on the tracks?

Thanks!

Jerry

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 17, 2014 @ 07:38 PM
miden
Joined  09-22-2005

Jerry,

1. Yes you can, provided you set each PART and then after that each of the arps (1 through 5, or 6 if you have it set) to transmit.

2.It doesn’t transmit the patch data, however using a .ins file (for Sonar - I can give you one of you use Sonar) or a script file (for Cubase) you then assign the appropriate patches to the tracks in the DAW.

Which then allows you to freely mix and match different voices really easily, after recording, with the data getting sent back to the MOX

Hence the advice to setup individual tracks (one per part) in the DAW...that way the midi data is not getting all written to one huge non-intelligible MIDI file as Performances all use channel 1.
However the setting I wrote about above over-rides this for MIDI out if a different channel is selected.

Dennis

PS: BTW the Midi channel is by default selected - under the Arp edit (F5) - as 1,2,3,4 Just ensure each Arp (1-5) has the same channel assigned. It should as this is the default. I only mentioned it in case you wanted different channels outside of default. Be aware the all arps in a part can ONLY go out that specified channel. For example you cannot send Arp 5 out channel 8 and arp 3 out channel, arp 1 on channel etc etc, whatever is set for arp one carries to all the others.

However the PARTS can be assigned to a different channel.

Oh one other little hint - if you look at the screen buttons that say Arp1, Arp 2, Arp 3 etc, you will notice a little quaver note - this means there IS actually arp data. No note symbol, no data.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 17, 2014 @ 07:48 PM
jerrydpi
Joined  11-03-2012

Dennis,

I’m using Logic Pro X, so then what do I do?

Please look at my recent Post about Cubase AI compatibility with other brand DAW’s.

If my question in that Post is answered, then hopefully I can use your script file for Cubase.

Thanks,

Jerry

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 17, 2014 @ 07:51 PM
miden
Joined  09-22-2005
jerrydpi - 17 January 2014 07:48 PM

Dennis,

I’m using Logic Pro X, so then what do I do?

Please look at my recent Post about Cubase AI compatibility with other brand DAW’s.

If my question in that Post is answered, then maybe I can use your script file for Cubase.

Thanks,

Jerry

Sorry you misunderstood, I only have the INS file for Sonar only. I was only advising if you used Cubase you would need the script :-)

Logic Pro??? No idea sorry...however there must be users who have a Motif XF - just use the one for the Motif XF and add a pre bank 9, which is the XF User 1 I think.

Dennis

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 17, 2014 @ 07:52 PM
miden
Joined  09-22-2005

Of course failing that, simply manually enter the data Logic Pro needs to transmit a patch change from the MOX voice page for the performance.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Another wasted night!!!
Next Topic:

L a t e n c y ››