mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Multi synth setup question"

Posted on: January 14, 2014 @ 04:28 PM
jonnybignote
Total Posts:  51
Joined  09-28-2011

Hello all.  I’m having another stab at trying to figure this out - both from a general MIDI perspective, and in regards to my Motif.  I’m trying to figure out first if it’s possible at all, and then how best to do it.  I’ve tried to get an answer before but I don’t think I explained the situation well.

Apologies if I now provide more detail than necessary.

For a number of reasons but chiefly more configuration possibilities and weight issues, I’ve gone from an XF8 with light 61 note controller, to XF6 with light 88 note stage piano.

For live work, on my previous rig, I’ve been playing a number of shows using master mode, with keyboard layers or splits in performance, and with song mixes so I could send different sounds on midi channel 2 (receiving channel for the controller) for more keyboard real estate on the more complex songs)

Now I’ve switched it up and the XF6 is on top.  It is still the sound production tool I’m using in this case, everything triggered either locally from the XF6, or via midi from the stage piano (PX-5S).  Right now the stage piano is only used as a controller.

Performance patches are mirrored fine to the stage piano - channel 1, or omni.  If I only need one keyboard, then I’ll be controlling from the bigger machine.

However, I can’t make any headway with any of my song mixes.  These are for live use only - no sequencing.  My most complex involves a piano sound over much of the keyboard, split with top two octaves on some layered synth lead sounds - this is all to be triggered by the stage piano.  The XF6 is to play a split of layered brass below, and strings on top. 

I was previously able to do this before, in reverse, and don’t know why I can’t now.  I’ve had some success exiting from master mode and running from song mixing mode but I feel that’s not necessarily by design...?  I’d rather not do that if it can be avoided.

I don’t have time or opportunity while playing this material to unmute parts or anything while playing.  The PX-5S has some controller capability but the patch buttons seem to produce random selections on the Motif.

So anyway, as you can tell, I’m very lost in all this, and help would be much appreciated.  The Motif is an amazing machine, and I assume all is possible but I just don’t know how.

Many thanks

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ programming as a controller
Next Topic:

Are there real risks in firmware updating? ››