mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "How can I create a crossfade on the keyboard in Performance mode?"

Posted on: January 13, 2014 @ 01:52 PM
partyband
Total Posts:  39
Joined  01-02-2014

Hallo everybody, I am sure this is possible because I could it even 20 years ago on my keyboards:

When I am in Performance mode with different sounds, I can limit them to a part of the keyboard, this is clear.

But I wish sometime to crossfade them, in order not to have an abrupt break between sounds. I mean, when I play along the keyboard one sound should fade out while the other should fade in.

Basically they should mix smoothly into one another within a range of one octave.

This is useful for example with different strings sections or poly together with mono sounds.

Thank you

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 15, 2014 @ 07:14 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

“How can I create a crossfade on the keyboard in Performance mode?”

You can’t; that level of programming is available in VOICE mode, at the Element Level.

The “amplitude scaling” is a parameter that you can control on each oscillator (we are sure this is overkill for what you want to do, but it is the type of editing that is best done at the individual oscillator level of programming). Edit your VOICES then combine the VOICES in a PERFORMANCE.

Call up any VOICE
Press [EDIT]
Press a numbered button [1]-[8] to select the ELEMENT (you can use the screens and the MUTE / SOLO function to isolate and learn about the contribution of each Element to the Voice).
Press [F4] AMP
Press [SF4] SCALING

here you will see four BREAK POINTS that you can set across the keyboard - and you have the ability to raise or lower the (amplitude) output of this Element across the keys… thus creating your fade.

Call up a VOICE like “Piano & Strings” PRESET 1: 014(A14)
where the Elements 1-4 make up the piano and Elements 5-8 make up the Strings. You can crossfade the Piano and Strings to specific regions of the keyboard as you require… with any amount of overlap in the middle.

Of course you could do this with any single Instrument Voice - simply fade it out where you require. Make the other half of the combination in its own VOICE location - then combine the two in a PERFORMANCE.

The architecture of the current day MOXF is such that - each of the 8 oscillators have their own Amplitude Envelope Generator, their own Pitch Envelope Generator, their own Filter Envelope Generator - unlike many synthesizers you may remember from the past (where often you had one of these for the entire sound)… the fact that each Element is a complete synth engine and can support a complete set of multi-samples means the possibilities are truly amazing.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 15, 2014 @ 08:06 AM
partyband
Joined  01-02-2014

OK ... Very clear answer, thank you.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 16, 2014 @ 10:22 PM
tonechef
Total Posts:  51
Joined  07-22-2010

Above should be [SF5] SCALE (Amplitude scaling) not [SF4]

Also you may need to adjust the LevelSens (Level Key Follow Sensitivity) parameter in [SF4] KEY FLW (Key Follow)

See page 45 of the reference manual.

One set up to do this is with a two part performance.
I think you would partially or completely overlap two parts and
adjust the above voice element parameters to do the crossfading.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 16, 2014 @ 10:32 PM
tonechef
Joined  07-22-2010

Are there any factory performances set up to do crossfading?
If there are this would be easier to accomplish.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 17, 2014 @ 03:42 AM
partyband
Joined  01-02-2014
tonechef - 16 January 2014 10:32 PM

If there are this would be easier to accomplish.

Yes this would be a good idea!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 17, 2014 @ 06:42 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

No, it’s the kind of thing that may be useful for you in a particular composition but not the kind of thing that would make it into a Factory Set. Reason: it takes a lot of programming to do, and changing the crossover would take even more. So, no, you are not likely to find a Voice that fades out as you go up the keyboard and another doing the opposite. But nothing prevents you from creating custom Voices for your Performances. (Factory data is always more universally useful).

Please remember all 384 Normal Voice locations and 32 Drum Kit Voice locations are repeats of data in the Presets… So please feel free to overwrite USER locations… They are for U the User!
:-)

I say this because it is a common “newbie fear” that they might overwrite something important.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 17, 2014 @ 08:08 PM
tonechef
Joined  07-22-2010

In addition to the reference manual see
pages 29, 30, 33 and 34 of the parameter manual
for info on setting up a crossfade.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Mox Dvd
Next Topic: