mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "New MOXF8 has noise keys, advice?"

Posted on: January 09, 2014 @ 09:10 PM
Micksa
Total Posts:  2
Joined  01-06-2014

I have a new MOXF8.  It’s working fine except that some of the keys make a strange squeaking noise if I hit them a certain way.  It’s just about 10 of the white keys, and it seems to be more prominent if I hit the key on the front edge.  A few more keys seem to be doing it now since I first noticed it.

I called up the shop that I ordered it from and the guy said it just needs to be “worn in” and to give it a couple of weeks.  Is this true?  Or should I call bull**** and insist that it be repaired/replaced?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 09, 2014 @ 09:24 PM
miden
Total Posts:  618
Joined  09-22-2005

afaik, the GHS keybed was noisy on the MOX, and as BM has confirmed the MOXf has EXACTLY the same keybed, then it is just something you will need to get used to.

Apparently it gets noisier with age.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 10, 2014 @ 03:46 PM
Micksa
Total Posts:  2
Joined  01-06-2014

No, this isn’t normal.  It’s gotten worse since.  More keys are doing it and they’re doing it louder.

I’ve made a short video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVub3vhOf5s

Nobody would pay anywhere near $2000 for a keyboard that makes noises like this.  I have to get it looked at.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 10, 2014 @ 05:14 PM
DavePolich
Total Posts:  6820
Joined  07-27-2002

Take it in to an authorized Yamaha service center. If it is defective, and
it is under warranty, they can replace the keybed.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 10, 2014 @ 05:15 PM
miden
Joined  09-22-2005

TBH - that sounds pretty normal to me, sorry to say.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 12, 2014 @ 09:12 PM
mm6
Total Posts:  182
Joined  11-16-2008

Sounds a little louder than normal.  GHS keys are not extremely quiet, compared to GH. GH3 and BH.  So there will be noises.  But they are not that loud.

BM has confirmed MOXF keys are exactly the same as MOX - GHS keys.  But I still feel a difference, in terms of the loudness of keys, quieter being better, of course.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 12, 2014 @ 10:01 PM
miden
Joined  09-22-2005

MM6 it did look like he was giving it a fair whack! And probs the audio was turned way up on the recording device. I don’t want to seem uncaring, but it really sounds pretty normal to me...I can get similar sounds when really attacking the keys on mine as well.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 12, 2014 @ 10:39 PM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011
Micksa - 09 January 2014 09:10 PM

I have a new MOXF8.  It’s working fine except that some of the keys make a strange squeaking noise if I hit them a certain way.  It’s just about 10 of the white keys, and it seems to be more prominent if I hit the key on the front edge.  A few more keys seem to be doing it now since I first noticed it.

I called up the shop that I ordered it from and the guy said it just needs to be “worn in” and to give it a couple of weeks.  Is this true?  Or should I call bull**** and insist that it be repaired/replaced?

Well, this is highly unusual noise from a new machine.  If it were an old machine, I would direct you to the posts I offered in This Thread.

Is this truly a NEW machine?  If it is, take it to an authorized service provider.

Or is it just new to you, as in used or demo?  If so, the noise could certainly be produced by the problem I outlined in the referenced thread.  As I discussed there, a worn/compressed Motif 8 Stopper strip can cause LOTS of noise in the mechanical action, but is a $30 part that anybody can replace with a proper service manual for reference...and with dramatic results, honest!

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Premium Collection installation help?
Next Topic:

Controlling MOX Board with MOXF Board ››