mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "How to load voices from usb, and card?"

Posted on: January 05, 2014 @ 09:36 AM
rikismyname
Total Posts:  58
Joined  08-18-2011

Here’s my problem.

I have some samples of thunder and lightning saved on my keyboards ram that I sampled, I have to load these by going file-load-load voice from my card.

Then I go load song - press yes on intro song, all fine.

But here’s my problem now that I have bought a 2gb usb stick to work with my motif(anything over 2gb doesn’t work), I have the disc that I purchased from yamaha which is the disk that comes with the original motif voices us some more.

So I loaded players.w7 (I thinks that’s right), by going file-config-usb-then selecting the players.w7 file in voices and excellent I now have lots of new pianos, I especially like the s700 bright.
But now my thunder samples are gone?
So if I load them again, my pianos are gone?

How do I sort this out?

Also, I really want to buy the complete Orchestra bank by keyfax off motifator.com now that I have a USB that works, how do I load these voices into the ram(and the players voices for that matter) so it loads automatically so I don’t need to load from usb every time?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 05, 2014 @ 10:04 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

How do I sort this out?

Learn to selectively load just the data that you want to load. If you select Load TYPE = ALL, the data you load will replace, literally, all of the data that is in memory. “All” literally means all.

If, however, you select to load “Voice”, you can load just a single Voice from within an ALL data file, to a single internal location, without overwriting any other data.
If you select to load “Song”, you can load just a single Song from within an ALL data file, without overwriting any other.
Etc., etc., etc.

This is how you assemble data from various file into your Motif ES. Then, very important: once you have all this data assembled in the Motif ES at the same time, then make yourself a new ALL data file that backs up all this work.

Make sense?

I have some samples of thunder and lightning saved on my keyboards ram that I sampled, I have to load these by going file-load-load voice from my card.

Sorry but I really don’t understand what you are describing here. It doesn’t make sense. Why don’t the thunder sound effect samples load when you load the ALL data file that contains your song. Did you ever SAVE a file after loading your samples? You should create a file that includes your custom samples already loaded.

Then it becomes easier to load individual data from within those ALL data files.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 07, 2014 @ 07:32 AM
rikismyname
Joined  08-18-2011
Bad_Mister - 05 January 2014 10:04 AM

How do I sort this out?

Learn to selectively load just the data that you want to load. If you select Load TYPE = ALL, the data you load will replace, literally, all of the data that is in memory. “All” literally means all.

If, however, you select to load “Voice”, you can load just a single Voice from within an ALL data file, to a single internal location, without overwriting any other data.
If you select to load “Song”, you can load just a single Song from within an ALL data file, without overwriting any other.
Etc., etc., etc.

This is how you assemble data from various file into your Motif ES. Then, very important: once you have all this data assembled in the Motif ES at the same time, then make yourself a new ALL data file that backs up all this work.

Make sense?

Sorry but I really don’t understand what you are describing here. It doesn’t make sense. Why don’t the thunder sound effect samples load when you load the ALL data file that contains your song. Did you ever SAVE a file after loading your samples? You should create a file that includes your custom samples already loaded.

Then it becomes easier to load individual data from within those ALL data files.

Excellent thank you, I forgot to reply the other day.

It works fine now to just load 2 pianos and save them to usr 01-01,user 01-02.

So me question now is
1.how do I have these load automatically when I turn on my keyboard?

2.Are they saving to the keyboard or the expanded dimm ram I have ever installed?

3. If I download the motifator.com keyfax orchestral and one or two others how do I make these load automatically?
What I mean is say I create a performance with splits with the new orchestral sounds that I have loaded, how do I have these load upon power up so I don’t have to load from usb everytime?

4.Is there a way to transfer all the voices permanently to the expanded ram I have instead of them being on a USB stick?

Thanks in advance for any help.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 07, 2014 @ 10:13 AM
rikismyname
Joined  08-18-2011

Also, need help with this.
So I go file-config-usb-then load-voice-players.w7-enter-select power grand for example-it then asks you to select usr 1 or usr 2- then a number, top right it shows you which instrument you are replacing with the new sample!
So to have new sounds I have to terminate old one?

If I but the complete Orchestra with over 200 new voices how would these then load and be extra rather than taking all my existing voices off?
I don’t understand at all.

Surely I can load them as a separate, new sound bank and not wipe any?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 09, 2014 @ 12:28 PM
rikismyname
Joined  08-18-2011

Still need help on this anyone?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 09, 2014 @ 02:04 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

1.how do I have these load automatically when I turn on my keyboard?

Create an AUTO LOAD File

From a previous post ...........................................................

Load all the data that you want to have the unit automatically load on power up.
Save an ALL data file (.W7A) and name it literally “AUTOLOAD.W7A”
You can save to a SmartMedia Card or a USB drive, your choice!

Then you must “teach” the Motif ES where to look:

Press [FILE]
Press [F1] CONFIG
Press [SF1] CURRENT
Select the Drive: CARD or USB containing your auto load files.
Press [F3] LOAD
Set the Load File Type = ALL
Find your AUTOLOAD.W7A file (but do not load it)
Immediately press [UTILITY]
Press [F1] GENERAL
Press [SF4] OTHER
Turn AutoLoad = ON
Press [SF5] GET
The unit will now register that you targeted the root directory of the specified drive for the autoload files. (CARD: root) or (USB: root)
And now the step that most forget:
Press [STORE] to lock in your UTILITY mode settings. This writes the data to Flash ROM and makes it permanent so that when you power up next time it remembers to go and look for the files.

Now when you next power up you will have the unit load all of your Autoload files.

2.Are they saving to the keyboard or the expanded dimm ram I have ever installed?

Sorry, question is not clear. If you are talking about the File - it is saved to a USB drive or SmartMedia card connected to the Motif ES. The reason you save them to the USB drive is because DIMMs does not store anything after the power is shut off. The word SAVE means long term storage.. The data is saved to the USB drive.

3. If I download the motifator.com keyfax orchestral and one or two others how do I make these load automatically?
What I mean is say I create a performance with splits with the new orchestral sounds that I have loaded, how do I have these load upon power up so I don’t have to load from usb everytime?

Asked and Answered… Create an ALL data file.

4.Is there a way to transfer all the voices permanently to the expanded ram I have instead of them being on a USB stick?

No. On the USB stick they are backup data, samples must be loaded to the Motif ES expanded with DIMMs in order to use them in Voices.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 12, 2014 @ 05:25 AM
rikismyname
Joined  08-18-2011

Right I’m on my motif es now. Thanks for the help.

These new piano samples are not saving it o the dimm ram..
I’m going file-voice-select players. W7v-select naturals700-enter-yhrn where do I want to load it? It starts on usr1:001(A01) which is my concert grand, if I press enter it will rub over the concert piano and replace.
Or I can select a different Voice to replace.

What I’m saying is I want 6 pianos out of this file on my keyboard but not replacing others.
So when/if I buy the orchestra sounds how is it going to be easier than this?

So confusing.
The sounds are on my USB, I just want the actual sounds on my motif, and then use usb to store save data. Either me, my friend and my dad are extremely stupid or there is a fault of some sort?

So how do I load these voices on without deleting or rubbing over other sounds?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 12, 2014 @ 06:51 AM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

Either me, my friend and my dad are extremely stupid or there is a fault of some sort?

No, I wouldn’t say that I’d just say that none of you KNOW how this works. You are all probably capable of understanding it, but it is not surprising that your friend and your dad (or you, for that matter) don’t just know how this works. Sampling, sample playback synthesizers and their memory architecture is deep). Why would you think it is just something a casual bystander would know.

You don’t respect that it just might be something you’d have to actually spend time to learn. To fully understand the MEMORY STRUCTURE of your ES, please study page 186 of your ES manual. This one diagram when fully digested will answer all your questions. Seriously when the concepts on this diagram start to become clear, you are on your way to “getting this”. Take note of “Internal Memory” versus what gets saved to external storage devices in the various file types.

Here are some misconceptions most people new to this have… And your crew is no different.

The different type of memory have different roles and are not interchangeable… At all.

When you “sounds” are on the USB drive they are in files. They cannot be “played” from there. They are data in a file. They are Saved Files from your ES.

When your “sounds” are loaded into the Motif ES, the ES places the Voice data to the ES’s internal ROM memory and it places the Waveforms and Sampled data on the DIMMs (dual inline memory modules) which allows you to access the audio by sending a Note-on command that can be interpreted and instantly played back.

This second type of memory (DIMMs) is real time accessible. Think about how much faster this type of memory has to be compared to when the “sounds” were on your USB stick. You send a command to load to the USB stick and several seconds or minutes later you can hear something. USB stick is not real time accessible. Make sense?

The time it takes to retrieve audio, at different pitches across the keyboard from the DIMMs is measured in tiny fractions if seconds… So fast you can’t out speed it playing a musical composition.

So first thing to appreciate is where the data goes ... What type of memory is long term storage and the type of memory that is real time access. Part of the reason USB drives are far less expensive than the same amount of memory in DIMMs. Make sense?

You need to appreciate what parameters are stored internally in the ES’s own Flash ROM.
Then the relationship with the Voice parameters and the sampled data that is the oscillator’s sound source.

Take your time. Yes it is complex. Yes it can be confusing. No you are not stupid. But you have grossly underestimated the complexity of what is going on. Please show your friend and your dad the diagram on page 186… Learn the terminology and try to understand what this diagram is trying to show you.

Computers look oh so simple… Until you start to look behind the friendly icon that works when you click on it. Behind that icon are hundreds of little hamsters turning the gears!!!
The relationship between the synth Voice and its Waveform and sample data is very complex actually. But it is knowable… Please respect it…

If you have specific questions please take your time and try and use the proper terminology. This helps in getting to a point where it starts to make sense. Calling an item by its right name is simple but very important when learning.

If you refer to the foot controls in an automobile as “the pedals” without specific designations, your lack of correct terminology could cause a terminal accident.
:-)

Let us know your progress.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 12, 2014 @ 11:52 AM
rikismyname
Joined  08-18-2011

Thanks for that. I will study the diagrams on 186.

But I still can’t see how to load a voice (sample of s700 piano in the players. W7)without rubbing over an existing one?

How do I select a free/empty space in my motif to put this sound into?

Also I really do want to buy this Orchestra library this week.
But all I want is to have the orchestra in its own bank, and the new piano in the piano bank, and then turn it on load it up with all voices and performances for the gig.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 16, 2014 @ 12:12 AM
rikismyname
Joined  08-18-2011

Still holding my finger over the buy button for the complete Orchestral pack.
Need help regarding how to load samples without having to select another sound to replace in File.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 16, 2014 @ 06:01 AM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

Then relax your finger, you’ll never buy. :-)

The USER Banks are called User (that’s you, by the way) because you are supposed to overwrite the data there. Please understand the basic thing: when you turn on the ES and setup to play the Full Grand or any Voice… That data must occupy a Voice location. This Voice location is either a PRESET (one permanently installed at the Yamaha factory) or a USER Voice (one that you selected to be apart of your USER BANK LIBRARY.

1024 Normal Preset Voices, 64 Preset Drum Kits
384 Normal User Voices, 32 User Drum Kits

Did you know that 256 (USER 2 and USER 3) are filled with repeat “placeholder” Voices?

I’ve met folks who have owned the Motif ES for ten years and never realized that all those Voices are repeats… So for ten years they never overwrote them - thinking they didn’t want to lose something! Yikes!

What a waste! They never realized how the U in USER is really for YOU the user to decide what sounds currently occupy the user Bank. In spite of complaints that you cannot have enough user bank locations… It is really to hold 384 of your custom Selected sounds… And since you load what goes there it is up to U.

The idea is you backup the User data to FILES. See the diagram, internal User ROM gets backed up to various File formats… This means having a backup of your User data, you can reload it later. You can reload it later… When ever you want that data back… You can reload it later!!!

New Voices OVERWRITE Voices in the User memory. That’s a fact… If as you say you don’t want to overwrite data then do nothing, never buy any new sounds, never program any custom data… Never make use of your Motif ES as a programmable instrument. (What a shame!)

If you make backup files you can always load what you need, when you need it. Notice you can load ALL data, ALL VOICES, even a bank of 128 or a single Voice. With the EDITOR you can bulk Voices in as you desire. They go to rewrite able USER locations!!!

Imagine using a computer with everything, every file you have, open on your desktop at the same time… How many files can you have open at once… It is some finite number… You close them and put them away and recall them when you need them.
learn to trust your backup file system. Fail to use it and understand it, fail to get most out of your instrument.

And look through User 2 and User 3 ... Every Voice in those banks is a repeat of a Preset, it’s simply holding a place for your custom data.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Motif ES, mLAN and plg cards working on windows 8 64 bit
Next Topic:

Arp question....... ››