mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "One Week In / Random Questions :)"

Posted on: January 03, 2014 @ 01:31 PM
xmortenx
Total Posts:  20
Joined  06-06-2009

WAU, I LOVE THAT MOXF :)

PATTERN/SONG MODE:
Recording Arps: Is there a way to sync the start of the arp. At the moment its up to me to press really tight on a key on the beat otherwise the arp will be a little late or early??
Is there a way to record more tracks at once??

VOICEMODE:
Is there a way to jump straight into recording mode like you do in performance mode. At my current Moxf level the VoiceMode is a trap. I need to either save the edited voice and then start a song and via category search pick it up again in song/pattern mode or fake it in to performance mode with a second muted layer and still still having to save the voice before I do all that??

DRUMEDITS:
When In song/pattern mode. Do I need to save the song/pattern and upen up a Drumkit in Voicemode to edit it, save it and the pick it up in the song/pattern mode again or is there a better way to edit kits in a song/pattern ??

PERFORMANCE MODE:
Is there a way to transpose the individual elements so that they fit better to the zone on the keybed you have assigned them to ??

UNDO:
Is there a way to undo a button press. In performance mode and also voice mode it is really easy to accidently call up another performance via the 16 buttons on the pattern section if you forget to press the pattern section first (the theese buttons take you straight in to another performance and then you loose all your edits to the perforamance you were working on ??

All the best
Morten :)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 03, 2014 @ 04:40 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Is there a way to sync the start of the arp. At the moment its up to me to press really tight on a key on the beat otherwise the arp will be a little late or early??
Is there a way to record more tracks at once??

When recording ARPS to the SEQUENCER there is a KEY ON START parameter available in the following situations:
1) When using Direct Performance Record to record to a SONG
or
2) When using Direct Performance Record to record to a PATTERN

Direct Performance Record was developed to help musicians use arpeggio data together with direct played data and to record multiple tracks to the sequencer at once. One of the features that goes with it is the KEY ON START command.

Arpeggios are always started by touching a key to within the ARP NOTE LIMIT region to initiate the phrase. There is no START button, it is the pressing of the key that initiates the arpeggio phrase. The KEY ON START parameter when set ON will coordinate the start of the sequencer transport (RECORD) with a Note-on event.

PERFORMANCES can contain one, two, three, or four PARTS - so you can use a PERFORMANCE location anytime you want use the KEY ON START command to begin recording.

In the MOXF:
Place the VOICE or VOICES in the PARTS of a PERFORMANCE with the ARPEGGIO Types assigned as you require.
Press [RECORD]
There are 3 setup screens for this Direct PERFORMANCE Record: [F1], [F2] and [F3]
[F1] SETUP - here you can target either SONG mode or a PATTERN mode Section.
[F2] REC TRACK - here you can set the target to Tracks 1-, 5-8, 9-12, or 13-16
[F3] OTHER - here you can set the KEY ON START, the COPY PERFORMANCE function, and you can opt to go to the target mode when recording is complete.

The MOXF will take the data that you perform and if an arp is assigned to a PART will record the OUTPUT of the ARPEGGIATOR to a corresponding Track of the sequencer. If no arp is assigned then what ever you play directly on the keyboard is routed to a corresponding Track of the sequencer. Each PART plays and each PART is routed to a corresponding Track - then the parameters of the PERFORMANCE are copied to the MIXING setup of the target SONG or PATTERN. And finally, the MOXF switches to that mode so you can play it back and verify your work.

Now that said: The Direct PERFORMANCE Record can be used for arpeggio Types that utilize the SORT and THRU “Key Modes”. This is the majority of the note generating Arpeggio Types.

There are some ARP Types that require a bit more programming to capture faithfully.

Is there a way to jump straight into recording mode like you do in performance mode.

No. To record to the Sequencer a VOICE must be placed in a PART. This means you must place the VOICE in either a PERFORMANCE or a SONG MIXING or PATTERN MIXING setup. The PART can be understood as allowing the instrument flexibility. Without it your synth experience would not be as nice.

Imagine you like the “Full Concert Grand” piano. VOICE mode is where basically, you audition the sound. Now you decide there are four different ways you will use this piano sound:
1) Straight like it is
2) Split with an acoustic bass below B2
3) Split with a String Pad sound below B2
4) Layered with a Synth Pad sound in the right hand and split with a synth bass in the left

Without PART parameters, you would need to store 3 additional versions of the Full Concert Grand… one to represent the Note Limits, and volume, effects, EQ, and other setting you make in the combination of the Voices.

PART parameters are a set of OFFSETs that lets you use the same VOICE in scores of setups without having to write a new version of the original Voice data. OFFSETs, so that when you split the Full Concert Grand with the Acoustic Bass, you don’t have to have a Full Concert Grand that is stored only C3 and above. Instead he PART parameters recall the original Full Concert Grand and let you address it only above C3. These PART parameter OFFSETs are totally necessary to start recording and saving Mixes with the Sequencer.

Do I need to save the song/pattern and upen up a Drumkit in Voice mode to edit it, save it and the pick it up in the song/pattern mode again or is there a better way to edit kits in a song/pattern ??

Yes, you do. Drum Kit Voices are different from Normal Voices (as the joke goes: Drummers are different from normal musicians)… A Normal Voice can have 8 Elements (oscillators) per Voice. A Drum Kit Voice can have 73 Elements (oscillators) per Voice. So it is simply a matter of available memory for the Drum kit editing.

What you can do to work around this in the MOXF is use the MOXF6/MOXF8 Editor Standalone/VST. This will allow you to Edit the Drum Kit Voice while you remain in SONG or PATTERN mode. That is the official workaround.

PERFORMANCE MODE:
Is there a way to transpose the individual elements so that they fit better to the zone on the keybed you have assigned them to ??

Terminology alert. “Elements” are the component of the VOICE not the PERFORMANCE. A PERFORMANCE has four PARTS - Each PART contains a VOICE. A PART parameter again will let you NOTE SHIFT (OFFSET) the Voice within a PART up/down +24 semitones
Press [EDIT]
Press a PART [1]-[4] to view its parameters
Press [F4] TONE
Press [SF1] TUNE
NOTE SHIFT = +0 is normal tuning (-/+24)

If you require a larger shift, it will be necessary to create a custom VOICE. Again say you want to raise the piano +36 (3 octaves) because you cannot OFFSET the PART that far, you will need to build a new version of the Voice, and COARSE TUNE the individual ELEMENTS of that VOICE an octave higher (+12) - so that you can NOTE SHIFT the PART +24 and reach your goal.

UNDO:

Yes, if you leave by mistake, your last edit is always in the EDIT RECALL Buffer.
Press [JOB]
Press [F2] RECALL
The lost edit returns!!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 04, 2014 @ 12:43 AM
xmortenx
Joined  06-06-2009

Thaaaanks :) I cannot remember having had so much fun with a DAW !  Now I just need to glue a Nordlead Rack to the Moxf and get a simple HD recorder to follow the sequenser of the Moxf for vocals and Im done with staring at waveforms on a big screen :)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 04, 2014 @ 01:52 AM
xmortenx
Joined  06-06-2009

Oh! one last thing : If I have to work in performance mode to sync the arps: Is it possible to edit a voice in performance mode (especially the insert effects).  I can edit a voice in Voice and pattern mode but it does not seem possible in performance mode???

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ How do you sync the MOXF and my DAW...
Next Topic:

Delete or init user arp? ››