mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "How do you sync the MOXF and my DAW…"

Posted on: January 03, 2014 @ 09:47 AM
jerrydpi
Total Posts:  973
Joined  11-03-2012

I have three questions:

In the past, using a Performance (that has several ARPs in it) as the basis of an original song, the way I would record it to my DAW (Logic Pro X) was by assigning the Drum Voice and its ARP to usb 1 & 2 and the Bass Voice to usb 3.

I would then hit Record on LPX, waiting until the start of the second measure (the first measure being my way of having a 1-2-3-4 count in) and try my best to start playing the MOXF at just the right point.

How do I sync my DAW and MOXF so that when I start playing the Performance on the the MOXF, it will be in perfect sync with LPX?

Next, let’s say I’m using the same Performance as above, but this time I’m going to go out the two analog outs into an external interface.

Because the MOXF has only two analog outs, I will record the Drums first to Track 1 (a stereo track on LPX).

After Track 1 is recorded, I next want to record the Bass Guitar and its ARP, going out the left/mono out of the MOXF and record it to Track 2 (a mono track).

How do I sync my DAW and MOXF so that when I’m recording each Track and start playing the Performance on the the MOXF, both of them will be in perfect sync with each other (as well as the Bass ARP being in perfect sync with the Drum ARP)?

Lastly, if I have a completed Sequenced Song, and I use either the usb or analog outs, how do I sync the DAW and MOXF so that when I hit Play on the MOXF, it will be in perfect sync with LPX as it is recording?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 03, 2014 @ 12:08 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

I would then hit Record on LPX, waiting until the start of the second measure (the first measure being my way of having a 1-2-3-4 count in) and try my best to start playing the MOXF at just the right point.

How do I sync my DAW and MOXF so that when I start playing the Performance on the the MOXF, it will be in perfect sync with LPX?

Computer DAWs are designed so that you start playing, as best you can, after the count-in. They all pretty much work like that. It is your responsibility to start on time. Thus is Music!

As I told many moons ago in who knows how many threads ago… The MOXF is designed for the most part, to record its own arpeggio patterns, and does a decent job of simultaneously recording multiple Parts to multiple tracks simultaneously. This feature is an in ovation introduced on the Motif XS is called Direct Performance Record.

Simple route (and it still remains the smartest/easiest way to accomplish what you have been doing)
_ Use Direct Performance Record to record your MOXF PERFORMANCE to the MOXF sequencer.
_ do a simple MIDI transfer to move the data into you DAW

Why this is easier and smarter… The MOXF is designed to record its arps, (particularly when it comes to the KEY ON START command which automatically starts recording when you touch the keyboard)… And the transfer of the data to your DAW can be done either in real time (by sync the clocks and playing back the data) or you can export the data from the MOXF as a Standard MIDI File, and simply load it into your DAW.
With the former you can render either audio to audio tracks or MIDI data to MIDI tracks, your choice.

The nice thing about it, is its easy to get your idea down in the hardware… Then when it comes to transferring data as audio to your software, you can relax and concentrate on getting the sound right. Your way you are playing the music and worrying about recording the audio… I must say, you’re good. I do this all the time and find separating the two processes makes for better recording… Simply because you take all the pressure of… Coming in on time, is the audio printing, am I playing with the right feel, am I watching record levels and playing at the same time… Why, play under pressure.

Record the music easily to the MOXF own easy to use sequencer.
Then in a separate operation, as engineer, get your levels set right and render the audio at your leisure.

Your choice

Sound familiar? Kind of knew you would be back here eventually.

Lastly, if I have a completed Sequenced Song, and I use either the usb or analog outs, how do I sync the DAW and MOXF so that when I hit Play on the MOXF, it will be in perfect sync with LPX as it is recording?

On the MOXF:
Press [UTILITY]
Press [F6] MIDI
Press [SF3] SYNC
Set the MIDI SYNC = AUTO
This will allow the MOXF to follow the tempo as set in your DAW. You must set your DAW to send standard MIDI Clock to the MOXF on USB port 1.
Set the SEQUENCER CONTROL = IN
This allows the MOXF to receive and follow Start/Stop commands from the DAW.

As to how to set your DAW to send MIDI clock and how to set TEMPO in your DAW - please see the documentation of your particular DAW.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 03, 2014 @ 06:30 PM
jerrydpi
Joined  11-03-2012

Phil,

Thanks for your thorough answers!

Please forgive me these questions :-)

1) You say to set my DAW to send standard MIDI Clock to the MOXF on USB port 1.
Do you mean the USB port 1 of my MacBook Pro?
2) How do I do a MIDI transfer of the data to my DAW?
3) How do I transfer the data to my DAW in real time by syncing the clocks and playing back the data?
4) How do I export the data from the MOXF as a Standard MIDI File and load it into my DAW?

Thank you so much!

PS

I’ll tell you the same thing I tell all my closest friends and family.

I have no problem writing a complete song (all the music and the lyrics).

It’s the “getting them to tape” that’s so hard and what is driving me CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I’m hearing multiple original songs at the same time in my stupid head (while at work or as I’m trying to go to sleep).

The best way to describe it is that I feel my brain is the large part of a funnel and the ideas are overflowing the funnel faster than the spout can drain them out!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 04, 2014 @ 01:35 AM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

All the more reason to record your music to the MOXF sequencer, first.... concentrating on getting the basic music tracks done.... With your musician hat on.

Then in a separate operation start rendering the audio to your DAW… But this time with your recording engineer/technician hat on.

You were attempting to do both simultaneously - brave as a newbie. (I can, and I don’t do both). But suit or shoot yourself, as they say.
:-)

1) You say to set my DAW to send standard MIDI Clock to the MOXF on USB port 1.
Do you mean the USB port 1 of my MacBook Pro?

? No. USB port 1 on the MOXF. You’ve been consistently hiding from MIDI. MIDI via USB is a multi-Port connection - this means in that single connection there are 5 ports, each Port represents 2 MIDI cables: one coming (IN) and one going (OUT).

With a MOXF the USB cable = 10 standard MIDI cables, and 6 standard 1/4” instrument cables between the MOXF and your computer. Until you understand that you will not see the big picture. It makes connecting to a computer with as little connectivity as a MacBookPro to be used as a music recording device. Seriously.

Music and timing data travel on USB-MIDI Port 1. You will need to learn to use your chosen DAW. It can generate MIDI CLOCK, you can route MIDI clock to various connected devices. Look it up in your Logic documentation… Sending MIDI clock.

2) How do I do a MIDI transfer of the data to my DAW?

Either export the data as Standard MIDI File or sync the DAW and the MOXF and transfer the data in real time.

3) How do I transfer the data to my DAW in real time by syncing the clocks and playing back the data?

See, you know what to do. Learn to use your DAW. On the MOXF side set the MOXF to slave to MIDI clock and follow the click… Again:
[UTILITY]
[F6] MIDI
[SF3] SYNC
Set MIDI SYNC = auto
Set SEQ CTRL = in

Sound familiar… Doesn’t change. Just told you this in the last post.

4) How do I export the data from the MOXF as a Standard MIDI File and load it into my DAW?

Press [FILE]
Press [F2] SAVE
Set TYPE = SMF
Move the cursor down between the brackets and give the File a name
Select the Song by number
Press [SF1] EXEC

Look, if your were using Cubase I could help you, but you really are going to have to get some help with Logic… The company that makes your computer supports that DAW… contact them if the items you need to set are not immediately apparent. Or ask other Logic users in the Logic Forum here on Motifator.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 04, 2014 @ 07:28 PM
jerrydpi
Joined  11-03-2012

Phil,

1) Thank you!
2) Your 100% right when you say I’ve been consistently hiding from MIDI :-)
3) I have been going to the various Logic/Apple Forums, but when I do, they can only help so much because they don’t know anything about the MOXF (or the XF) or how to interface with it.

There is a Logic Forum on Motifator?

Thanks again!

Jerry

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 05, 2014 @ 02:23 AM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

I have been going to the various Logic/Apple Forums, but when I do, they can only help so much because they don’t know anything about the MOXF (or the XF) or how to interface with it.

Well, don’t go to the Logic/Apple forum and ask questions about the MOXF… that’s silly. Ask your Logic question. Come on really - here’s what you need to know:

How do I set Logic Pro X to send MIDI CLOCK OUT? The MIDI device does not matter - all you need to know is where you go to set the MIDI CLOCK OUT, I already told you and you already know where you want to send that MIDI clock: To PORT 1 of your MOXF. What you don’t know is WHERE you go in your Logic Pro X to find MIDI CLOCK OUT settings. THey don’t need to know how to set it in the MOXF. You know that you have that information here in about 10-15 different threads of yours.

How do I set Logic Pro X to respond to MIDI REMOTE CONTROL SURFACE commands? The Remote Control Surface device does not matter - all you need to know is where you go to set the CONTROL SURFACE command.

How do I create an AUDIO INPUT into LOGIC PRO X? You need to find out how to create an INPUT _ the incoming device they do not have to know - you want to route an input to a Logic Pro X Track. WHat the device is is not necessary for anyone who knows Logic - they can just tell you where to make the connection.

I imagine you prefaced your question with ‘Does any one know how to setup a MOXF’? Which is what you should ask here on the MOXF site. You want to know from the LOGIC/APPLE site is: “Does anyone know how to setup Logic?”

Knowing what to ask is more than half the battle.

There is a Logic Forum on Motifator?

Yes. D’Oh!
Click FORUM - read the headings!

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ New Performance Q
Next Topic:

One Week In / Random Questions :) ››