mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Inspiration in a flash"

Page 1 of 2
Posted on: January 02, 2014 @ 12:00 AM
Reynolds230
Total Posts:  36
Joined  01-14-2013

Hi Mr Motif or anyone else there,

I purchased the XF premium pack from the shop to load on my new MOXF6. I can load all the data provided except the inspiration in a flash X6A file. Each time I get message illegal file.  I reformatted the flash board and tried several times but it seems to load only the first 60 waveforms and none of the voices.  Can you help? Thanks.
Happy New Year to all Forum members.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 02, 2014 @ 01:02 AM
Dromeus
Total Posts:  64
Joined  02-09-2012

Sounds as if the file is corrupted. You may try to download the file from Yamaha (it’s free):

Inspiration In A Flash X6A

and try again.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 02, 2014 @ 02:49 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

The Motif XF Premium Collection has certain content that was designed to load into, not surprisingly, a Motif XF. Although files with the X3A extension can be used with the MOXF (some to a limited degree), special care in loading might be required. The link that Dromeus provided is to a version of IiaF that’s specifically for the MOXF.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 02, 2014 @ 05:15 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

I can load all the data provided except the inspiration in a flash X6A file.

The .X6A file will only load into your MOXF, not into your Motif XF or MOX

While the MOXF can load .X6A files and some data from a .X3A file, the Motif XF cannot read a .X6A file at all. The MOX can read neither of the formats, it has its own .X4A

It is not clear which of your keyboards you are attempting to load the .X6A file… It will only load into a MOXF. You seem to be saying it doesn’t.

In that case the data may indeed be corrupted.
See if you can “open” the file using

File TYPE = “1 Bank Voice” or “Voice”
Press [ENTER]
This should “open” the .X6A file and show you what is inside that file. Either folders contain full banks of Voices, or individual lists of user voices.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 02, 2014 @ 06:28 AM
Reynolds230
Joined  01-14-2013

Thanks all of you. I am loading the file on my MOXF. I have tried the 1 bank voice but still get the illegal file message. I shall try to download a the file from the site indicated by Dromeus then try again.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 02, 2014 @ 06:54 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

As per the MOXF Owner’s Manual, page 63:
Illegal file - The file specified for loading is unusable by this instrument or cannot be loaded in the current mode.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 02, 2014 @ 07:16 AM
Reynolds230
Joined  01-14-2013
5pinDIN - 02 January 2014 06:54 AM

Illegal file - The file specified for loading is unusable by this instrument or cannot be loaded in the current mode.

I understand that but as I bought the pack from the shop and specified for MOXF, I did not expect to have problems. I am downloading a new file from the Yamaha site.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 02, 2014 @ 07:49 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
Reynolds230 - 02 January 2014 07:16 AM
5pinDIN - 02 January 2014 06:54 AM

I understand that but as I bought the pack from the shop and specified for MOXF, I did not expect to have problems. I am downloading a new file from the Yamaha site.

Sorry, but I posted that in case you or anyone else reading this thread didn’t know exactly what “illegal file” might mean in MOXF context.

As far as I know, there’s not a version of the Premium Collection with content specifically for the MOXF.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 06, 2014 @ 12:49 PM
dacuck
Total Posts:  19
Joined  12-21-2003

I also have a MOXF ... and the Premium Collection ...

seems the ALL files are meant for the Motif XF ... 

but I rarely load ALL files , as I don’t want to overwrite my previously tweaked user patches ...

so I load a single Voice w/waveform ...  I can then load that voice to the exact user bank/slot that I want ..

then I can check what Samples loaded with that Voice , and keep tabs on the space used on the 512 Flash board .. !

might take some trial/error ... but you can get the Voices you want , the Samples you want ... and slowly/carefully fill up you Flash board ..

I also recently go the Vintage Keys/DCP for the Motif XF ... because it HAD the extra samples I could use ... I moved some of my user voices around as to free up a bank ... then loaded the whole - 1 Bank of Voices w/waveforms ..  !  it is a great sound bank for some vintage synths ...  I wanted those sampled waveforms included ,so I could use them to simply replace a few of the waveforms in some basic factory patches ... which does seem to give the sound a new “ color “ ...

I’m sure I have my own ‘ improper ‘ way of getting sounds into my MOXF ... but it does/can work ...  please save a “ ALL “ file of your correct patches if you’ve been Editing them .. !
at least then you can easily get back to where you started , before you start experimenting .. !  loading samples into the Flash is a bit time consuming ...  keep the ones you like .. !

just my 2 cents worth ...  ( I currently have the Chick EP’s , the S700 for XS , and the Vintage Key samples on my Flash board .. w/ maybe 30mb left over for whatever )

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 06, 2014 @ 02:07 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
dacuck - 06 January 2014 12:49 PM

[...] I also recently go the Vintage Keys/DCP for the Motif XF ... because it HAD the extra samples I could use ... I moved some of my user voices around as to free up a bank ... then loaded the whole - 1 Bank of Voices w/waveforms ..  !  it is a great sound bank for some vintage synths ...  I wanted those sampled waveforms included ,so I could use them to simply replace a few of the waveforms in some basic factory patches ... which does seem to give the sound a new “ color “ ...

Unless Dave Polich changed things recently, Vintage Keys doesn’t include any new samples - as far as I know, all the Voices are based on internal ROM samples. It goes to show what difference good programming of Voices can make.

There are nearly 4,000 Waveforms in the MOXF’s ROM. Even with the large number of Preset Voices, there are plenty of Waveforms that you might not have heard yet and can try in existing Voices or new ones of your own creation.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 07, 2014 @ 12:20 AM
popsel2
Total Posts:  76
Joined  11-23-2013

Hi,

if you try to load a X3A or X3V file into the MOXF you should know that X3A and X3V is not the same as X3A and X3V ?!

Yes, this sounds strange. If you cteate a X3V file using AWAVE Studio 10.6 and try to load it in the MOXF exact this happen:
Illegal File Format.
The MOXF does not accept every X3A or X3V file for import. A Yamaha MOTIF XF is able to load such files :-)
The only workaround is to open the the X3A or X3V file using John Melas Wave Form Editor and save the file again with the Wave Editor.
While saving there is often a message like:
Removing undefined data (or so).
This process cleans the data the MOXF does not like.
After this treatment the MOXF accepts the data in most cases.

Or you may buy a MOTIF XF, load the file and resave it.
Yamaha would like to sell a MOTIF XF with each MOXF ;-)

Why not Yamaha offers such a cleaning / conversion tool for for MOXF users or offers a more tolerant firmware for the MOXF ?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 07, 2014 @ 07:25 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Why not Yamaha offers such a cleaning / conversion tool for for MOXF users or offers a more tolerant firmware for the MOXF ?

Sorry if Awave(?) who is that by the way, does not make a MOXF compatible file. That is not a Yamaha program.
So we are unaware of any incompatibilities with that program. Perhaps they will correct their program. Is it something you have to purchase?
If so, ask them to correct the program if they are claiming it creates files compatible with the MOXF.
Are they making this claim, or is just you in this thread?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 07, 2014 @ 08:56 AM
popsel2
Joined  11-23-2013
Bad_Mister - 07 January 2014 07:25 AM

Sorry if Awave(?) who is that by the way, does not make a MOXF compatible file. That is not a Yamaha program.
So we are unaware of any incompatibilities with that program. Perhaps they will correct their program. Is it something you have to purchase?
If so, ask them to correct the program if they are claiming it creates files compatible with the MOXF.
Are they making this claim, or is just you in this thread?

Hi,

I did not claim Awave is a Yamaha program ;-)
My aim is to show there are programs to create X3A / X3V files and then it appers the MOXF can’t load it (illegal file format) but a MOTIF XF can load it.

So Awave claims to create:
16985028aj.jpg

AWAVE STUDIO Link

Chicken Systems Translator claims it can create X3A files too:
Chicken Systems Traslator

Will the MOXF be able to load Translator X3A files ?
Is there a user who can check it and give us feedback ?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 07, 2014 @ 09:28 AM
popsel2
Joined  11-23-2013

Here is the message by John Melas Wave Editor shown while saving:

16985580wh.jpg

Yes, I know this not a Yamaha program, too ;-)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 07, 2014 @ 09:54 AM
jshep0102
Total Posts:  290
Joined  11-16-2012

I’ve seen that when a voice points to a wav that’s no longer loaded to point to, and a voice that’s no longer loaded to point to.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 07, 2014 @ 10:06 AM
jshep0102
Total Posts:  290
Joined  11-16-2012

I’ve seen that when a voice points to a wav that’s no longer loaded to point to, and a voice that’s no longer loaded to point to. that’s what I believe it refers to. Notice my pics have them at both the waveform and voice pages…

Image Attachments
Waveform Indexes 1.jpg
  [ Ignore ]  

Page 1 of 2