mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Output starts to make electronic frying sound on 1 perf preset and only one."

Page 1 of 2
Posted on: January 01, 2014 @ 06:58 PM
RKeefe1032
Total Posts:  13
Joined  12-31-2013

The much feared electronic frying sound appeared while playing the performance preset USR 1 (no mods just checking presets)"Southern Rap Cat” out of nowhere. It is the only preset “frying” at the moment. Reboot doesn’t help.  (Did all the isolation tests of cords, etc.. It’s coming from the MOXF8)

Is this the beginning of bigger problems and should I look into a possible return under a 30 day policy?  Is this an electronic problem or can software cause this sound? It’s that well known “bad cord, bad connection, failing part sound but on just one preset? Crazy. The thought of boxing up the Moxf8 is a nightmare. Anyone have this type of problem.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 01, 2014 @ 07:34 PM
jerrydpi
Total Posts:  973
Joined  11-03-2012

Is it possible that the Performance is supposed to sound like that?

Jerry

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 01, 2014 @ 07:38 PM
RKeefe1032
Joined  12-31-2013

It was playing normally and instantly started sounding like a bad cord, etc.. Checked other presets and it wasn’t present, went back and it was still there. It’s clearly a problem sound we’ve all heard, the volume lowers and the crackling starts. Would make sense if on the whole unit but one preset?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 01, 2014 @ 08:05 PM
jerrydpi
Total Posts:  973
Joined  11-03-2012

1) Have you listened through headphones only?
2) Did you try restoring the Factory Default Sounds?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 01, 2014 @ 08:19 PM
RKeefe1032
Joined  12-31-2013

Just listen through headphones.  Will try restoring Sounds but still wonder if there’s something that could get triggered again?  Since no one else seems to have had this problem, it must be the unit.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 01, 2014 @ 08:25 PM
miden
Total Posts:  618
Joined  09-22-2005

there are a few performances that have a “scratchy vinyl record” effect in them. Sounds pretty much like this ;-)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 01, 2014 @ 08:39 PM
RKeefe1032
Joined  12-31-2013

It was playing normally and all of sudden the volume lowered, scratches, pings, noisy electronic failure sounds.  I’ve heard it a tons of times and immediately started checking cords, etc., and then realized it was only one preset.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 01, 2014 @ 08:53 PM
miden
Total Posts:  618
Joined  09-22-2005

Were you listening via an audio interface with your PC, or directly connected to the MOXf headphones out?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 01, 2014 @ 09:38 PM
RKeefe1032
Joined  12-31-2013

Direct from the headphone jack on MOXF. Been playing for an hour and it’s the only place with a problem. It’s definitely not a patch, had too many years in recording studios and experienced this sound when somethings broke.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 01, 2014 @ 10:01 PM
stoneb3
Total Posts:  851
Joined  06-05-2011

Overwrite the performance with another and see if the problem persists. If you had an output problem it would likely show elsewhere. Can you provide a specific program number for the performance?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 02, 2014 @ 12:57 AM
popsel2
Total Posts:  76
Joined  11-23-2013

Hi,

I can not see a performance called ”Southern Rap Cat”.
Even the MOXF Data List does not list a performance with that name.

After making a Backup try a factory reset.
This will restore all performances to the original settings.

Regards
Popsel2

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 02, 2014 @ 02:32 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
RKeefe1032 - 01 January 2014 06:58 PM

The much feared electronic frying sound appeared while playing the performance preset USR 1 (no mods just checking presets)"Southern Rap Cat” out of nowhere. It is the only preset “frying” at the moment. Reboot doesn’t help.  (Did all the isolation tests of cords, etc.. It’s coming from the MOXF8)

Is this the beginning of bigger problems and should I look into a possible return under a 30 day policy?  Is this an electronic problem or can software cause this sound? It’s that well known “bad cord, bad connection, failing part sound but on just one preset? Crazy. The thought of boxing up the Moxf8 is a nightmare. Anyone have this type of problem.

Everyone who owns a recent Motif has this “problem” - except it isn’t a problem, so please relax.

The Southern Rap Cat Performance (USR2:068/E04 if the MOXF has original factory Performances loaded, USR1:084/F04 if a factory XF Bank was loaded) is supposed to sound as described. Part 3 uses the Vinyl Beatnik (PRE8:005/A05) Voice. That Voice has as Insertion B the “Digital Turntable” effect.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 02, 2014 @ 03:36 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

I guess if you’re not old enough to remember vinyl records, an Insert Effect that references the word “turntable” is just lost on the user. Now that’ll make you feel old!
:-)

Check out this effect, you can control the amount and intensity of the clicks and pops, and you can even control how much dust is on the needle! It is a truly programmable turntable effect, not to be taken lightly!

“Don’t adjust your television sets… We control the horizontal, we control… “

Oh, never mind....

:-)

http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/457519/

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 02, 2014 @ 08:42 AM
popsel2
Total Posts:  76
Joined  11-23-2013

Yamaha Vinyl Effect

Yes, this preset must be defective ;-)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 02, 2014 @ 09:02 AM
Dromeus
Total Posts:  64
Joined  02-09-2012

For those old farts like me, who hated these scratching sounds when listening to their brand-new ECM Jazz vinyl records, this effect should be renamed “Yamaha Vinyl Defect”.

LOL

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 02, 2014 @ 11:20 AM
RKeefe1032
Joined  12-31-2013

Thanks for your assistance, your answers make sense.

I felt very old when I first started using the MOXF8. As a retired “senior citizen”, I started putting my studio back together after being away for a decade.  The first day was daunting but I love the keyboard and I’m investing the time to learn everything I can about it’s functions. The best day as a recording engineer is when you finally learn how everything works. It’s coming with all your help. Thanks.

[ Ignore ]  

Page 1 of 2

Previous Topic:

‹‹ A Pattern Based Sequence Question.
Next Topic:

Inspiration in a flash ››