mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Bad_MIster question"

Posted on: December 30, 2013 @ 08:53 AM
jerrydpi
Total Posts:  973
Joined  11-03-2012

Bad_Mister,

Please forgive me if you’ve answered this question before :-)

I know you can accomplish your goals several ways, but in general, when you’re composing a Song, do you most often use the Pattern or Song Mode (and why)?

Jerry

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 30, 2013 @ 10:58 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Excellent question. It depends (not so excellent answer) :-)

The PATTERN mode as a construction device falls right into my way of working out tunes. When I had a full time band it is how we worked out ideas… basically working on SECTIONS, then on the transitions between the SECTIONS, and finally the entire linear composition.

So the “PATTERN > PATTERN CHAIN > SONG” as defined in the MOXF Owner’s Manual actually works for me. Particularly when working on popular music forms. However, I don’t limit my way of working to just this method because challenging yourself with a different method often breaks you from getting into habits. By learning to workout a SONG in a linear fashion is also freeing.

I also am a jazz musician, so there are times when PATTERN mode does not serve what I’m thinking about doing. For example, I had a tune in my head that has multiple time signature changes in the verse. In SONG mode I can create a Time Signature and Tempo “map” - that is, I can create the structure for the song before I even begin to record - by placing the Time Signature Changes at the appropriate measures and tempo changes, if necessary, then the CLICK (metronome) will faithfully conduct the count for me.

If you only work in PATTERN mode you wind up not ever thinking about Time Signature Changes, or music that begins on the “and of 4” - Pattern mode as powerful as it is - causes you to work between certain lines. So every now and then I switch and begin a composition in SONG mode - it frees your thinking.

Knowing you can move between the modes is the key. Each mode has its strengths. Knowing how to take advantage of them is liberating. If you are in a linear song you can take a region of measures and port it into a blank PATTERN - workout your edits - then put it back.

I had never used the PERFORMANCE type function to write music prior to maybe the Motif XS. At first, I thought it was a bit limiting and the kind of thing was “fun” but initially it seemed to box you in. But because I had to find a way to deal with it, when I got the prototype - I spent some time with it, and I found where it could be very useful for me. In fact, my first impression was completely turned on its ear.

In the original Motif and ES, the concept of ‘writer’s block’ came up in the discussion of improving the Motif-series as a writing tool. We would observe in stores across the country people standing in front of the Motif for hours - playing the keyboard along to a drum groove.

It’s more inspiring than playing to just a click or without time at all. So it was a decided to add the additional arpeggiators to fill in the rhythm section (not a full on accompaniment, like an arranger) but just enough to outline the rhythm section… Arpeggios being so much more flexible in real tie than fixed patterns.

Being able to record direct from PERFORMANCE mode was great - and the fact that you could keep or discard and redo any or all of the parts that were generated, was brilliant. If you like the Drums but not the Bass, or you like the Guitar but want to redo the Drums and the Bass, you can!!! You could doodle endlessly in to a linear SONG - until you came up with an idea… then cut an paste that idea to a PATTERN and add to it. Or you can target a PATTERN if you know specifically what you want to do. As a writer’s tool, it quickly became invaluable.

So the Direct Performance Record feature actually help me to “jump start” my sequencing. I had gotten into a rut with PATTERN mode… Record a drum groove, then record a bass, then record a keyboard support part.... come up with a melody sound… etc,

Now I can lay something down that has structure all in one pass, then decide what I want to keep and what I need to redo or remix.

So I discovered a way to make the PERFORMANCE > PATTERN > PATTERN CHAIN > SONG routine absolutely work.

But again, it is not for every tune… It depends...!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 30, 2013 @ 11:03 AM
jerrydpi
Joined  11-03-2012

Thank you Phil!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 30, 2013 @ 11:27 AM
jerrydpi
Joined  11-03-2012

Bad_Mister,

I’m have decided to compose my original Song tonight in the Pattern Mode if the following is possible in the Pattern Mode:

My original song is about 3 minutes long.

If I Sequence my song in the Pattern Mode, can I record a Performance into Section A of the Song (Intro), go back to the same Performance, make some changes to the third Voice (which is a Guitar with an ARP), disable the ARP, play what I want to play and then Record/turn that Performance into Section B?

Thanks,

Jerry

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 30, 2013 @ 11:34 AM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

If I Sequence my song in the Pattern Mode, can I record a Performance into Section A of the Song (Intro), go back to the same Performance, make some changes to the third Voice (which is a Guitar with an ARP), disable the ARP, play what I want to play and then Record/turn that Performance into Section B?

I think you should try it… It’s probably easier to figure out if you attempt to do it, certainly easier than trying to explain what you want to do.

We have no idea what you mean when you say “make some changes” ... We can only say you can’t hurt anything by trying.

Worse case target tracks 1-4 for Section A, and tracks 5-8 for Section B.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 30, 2013 @ 01:36 PM
jerrydpi
Joined  11-03-2012

The “make some changes” I refer to is taking the existing Performance that has an ARP on Voice One (drums) and an ARP on Voice Three (guitar), and then using the same Performance, with the same Voices (the same drums with its ARP), but this time I don’t want an ARP playing on the third Voice (the guitar).

I will play the guitar part the way I want it to play.

UNLESS,

You can suggest a easier way to do so :-)

Thanks,

Jerry

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 30, 2013 @ 02:49 PM
djudson
Total Posts:  46
Joined  02-01-2013

Hello Bad_Mister:

Would you mind elaborating on this point:

“For example, I had a tune in my head that has multiple time signature changes in the verse. In SONG mode I can create a Time Signature and Tempo “map” - that is, I can create the structure for the song before I even begin to record - by placing the Time Signature Changes at the appropriate measures and tempo changes[/size], if necessary, then the CLICK (metronome) will faithfully conduct the count for me.”

I have a SONG that has several 4/4 measures and then a 2/4 section, followed by a 4/4 section, etc.  I’m really struggling in putting something together for this in PATTERN mode, but how would you do in it SONG mode?  I know how to change the time signature obviously but it is linking things together that is the issue for me.  Are you suggesting doing each section in a separate SONG and then somehow linking them?  What I’m doing now is hacking something together in the PATTERN CHAIN edit (with all measures originally recorded in 4/4), but it isn’t very satisfactory.

Thanks

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 31, 2013 @ 03:35 AM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

The “make some changes” I refer to is taking the existing Performance that has an ARP on Voice One (drums) and an ARP on Voice Three (guitar), and then using the same Performance, with the same Voices (the same drums with its ARP), but this time I don’t want an ARP playing on the third Voice (the guitar).

I will play the guitar part the way I want it to play.

UNLESS,

You can suggest a easier way to do so :-)

Yes. Simply spend time with your Performance, focus in on getting it together before you hit the record button. Here’s what I mean:
Call up your Performance
Recall [SF1] ARP1
Make sure it is doing what you need for Section A
Recall [SF2] ARP2
Make sure it is doing what you need, if you don’t want to assign a guitar phrase here, don’t.
[STORE] your Performance

Now approach the sequencer via Direct Performance Record
Once you have recorded both Sections to the sequencer you can select the B Section and overdub your guitar.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 31, 2013 @ 04:25 AM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

@djudson

What I was referring to is you can, in Song mode, “teach” the sequencer your time signature changes so that it properly counts and properly draws the measure lines… and doing so before you record. As you’ve discovered in a Pattern mode a Section can only support a single time signature. This does not prevent you working it out, but it is a hassle, when multiple time signature changes occur. Recording a single 2/4 measure is not intuitive, to say the least.

In Song mode you are given a basic default frame work that is made up of all 4/4 measures. But in MIDI each measure is defined as it begins to play. For example, say you have a structure with sixteen measures of 4/4, followed by a measure of 2/4, before returning to 4/4… Etc.

Press [JOB]
Press [F4] MEASURE
Select CREATE MEASURE - this job let’s insert measures.
Simply create one 2/4 measure at measure 17

Much like you would chart out a song on score paper, you can create the measure outline, ahead of time. You may want to use a score so you can envision the measure numbers. You can insert any number of measures, of the selected time signature, at the appropriate point.

Press [STORE]
This will write the time signature changes ... Now you can begin to record your tracks into this frame work. The metronome click respects the time signature changes.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 31, 2013 @ 01:50 PM
djudson
Total Posts:  46
Joined  02-01-2013

Phil - thanks very much.  This makes complete sense, and of course I’m kicking myself for not thinking about the Create Measure job.  I use it all the time to add measures at the front.  Thanks again for the great help.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Does Moxf put out any kind of sync??
Next Topic:

Need Help with MOXF6 Audio in new iMac ! ››