mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Does Moxf put out any kind of sync??"

Posted on: December 30, 2013 @ 01:20 AM
xmortenx
Total Posts:  20
Joined  06-06-2009

Is it possible to have the Moxf to put out any kind of sync so that you can slave other devices to its sequenser?

The reason for this is that since you can not record any audio (demo vocals) to the Moxf I would like to slave an Ipad or something like that to it, so that I can lay down basic ideas on top of the arrangements in the Moxf sequenser.

Coming from DAW land I am aware of slaving the Moxf to for instance Cubase will solve all thoose problems, but the biggest draw for me abot the Moxf ( believe it or not) was actually it’s limited mouse and CPU free sequenser and most of all its tiny screen.

Can the Moxf sequenser be a master?

All the best
Morten :)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 30, 2013 @ 03:57 AM
jshep0102
Total Posts:  290
Joined  11-16-2012

From Page 148 of the reference manual -

[SF3] SYNC (Synchronization)
From this display you can set various parameters related to MIDI clock and synchronization.
MIDI Sync
Determines whether Song/Pattern/Arpeggio playback will be synchronized to the instrument’s internal clock or an
external MIDI clock.
Settings: internal, external, auto, MTC

internal..............................Synchronization to internal clock. You can use this setting when this tone generator is to be used
alone or as the master clock source for other equipment.
external.............................Synchronization to a MIDI clock received from an external MIDI instrument via MIDI. Use this setting
when the external sequencer is to be used as master.
auto...................................When MIDI clock is transmitted continuously from an external MIDI device or computer, the internal
clock of the MOXF6/MOXF8 is automatically disabled and the MOXF6/MOXF8 is synchronized with the external clock. When MIDI clock is not transmitted from the external MIDI device or computer, the internal clock of the MOXF6/MOXF8 continues to run in sync with the latest received tempo of the external MIDI device or computer (DAW software). This setting is useful when you wish to alternate between external clock and internal clock.
MTC (MIDI Time Code) ....Synchronization to an MTC signal received via MIDI. MMC signals are transmitted via MIDI. Use this
setting when this synthesizer is to be used as a MIDI slave, such as when synchronized to an MTCcapable MTR. The MTC Sync function is available only in the Song mode.
NOTE When MIDI Sync is set to “MTC,” Songs and Arpeggios cannot play back in the Song mode but Patterns and Arpeggios can
play back in the Pattern mode.
NOTE MTC (MIDI Time Code) allows simultaneous synchronization of multiple audio devices via standard MIDI cables. It includes data
corresponding to hours, minutes, seconds, and frames. The MOXF6/MOXF8 does not transmit MTC.
NOTE MMC (MIDI Machine Control) allows remote control of multi Track recorders, MIDI sequencers, etc. A MMC-compatible multi
Track recorder, for example, will automatically respond to start, stop, fast forward, and fast reverse operations performed on the controlling sequencer, thus keeping playback of the sequencer and multi Track recorder aligned.
VOICE PERF SONG PATTERN MIX MASTER REMOTE UTILITY QUICK SET FILE
MOXF6/MOXF8 Reference Manual
Utility Mode
[F1] GENERAL
[F2] VOICE
[F2] SEQ
[F3] VCE A/D
[F4] CTL ASN
[F5] USB I/O
[F6] MIDI
Utility Job
NOTE When setting the MOXF6/MOXF8 so that Arpeggio playback is synchronized to an external MIDI clock, make sure to set the
devices so that the MIDI clock from the DAW software/ external MIDI device is properly transmitted to the MOXF6/MOXF8 from
the DAW software/ external MIDI devices.
ClockOut
Determines whether MIDI clock (F8) messages will be transmitted via the MIDI OUT/USB terminal.
Settings: off, on
SeqCtrl (Sequencer Control)
Determines whether Sequencer Control signals — start, continue, stop, and song position pointer — will be received
and/or transmitted via MIDI.
Settings: off, in, out, in/out
off....................... Not transmitted/recognized.
in........................ Recognized, but not transmitted.
out...................... Transmitted, but not recognized.
in/out.................. Transmitted/recognized.
MTC StartOffset
Determines the specific time code point from which sequence playback starts, when MTC is received. This feature can
be used to accurately align playback of this synthesizer with an external MTC-compatible device.
Settings: Hour: Minute: Second: Frame
Hour: 00 – 23
Minute: 00 – 59
Second: 00 – 59
Frame: 00 – 29

Indespensable manuals are searchable!!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 30, 2013 @ 04:44 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Is it possible to have the Moxf to put out any kind of sync so that you can slave other devices to its sequenser?

Yes. The MOXF can both send and receive MIDI CLOCK. It can also slave to MIDI Time Code in SONG mode (only).

The reason for this is that since you can not record any audio (demo vocals) to the Moxf I would like to slave an Ipad or something like that to it, so that I can lay down basic ideas on top of the arrangements in the Moxf sequenser.

Better than an iPad is the Copy of Cubase AI 7 that comes as a FREE download to all MOXF Owners. The MOXF is an audio and MIDI interface… Giving you a 4-in/2-out audio interface. Plug your microphone into the MOXF’s A/D Input, set for microphone level and you can record your vocals directly to your computer on one one track, while simultaneously (if you wish) record your playing to another Track.

Apparently you didn’t know everything you need to record Audio (except a microphone and talent) came with the MOXF!!! Simply go to http://download.yamaha.com and download the driver for your computer, connect with the USB cable (I believe Yamaha even gives you one in the box) and you have the start of a complete studio.

Coming from DAW land I am aware of slaving the Moxf to for instance Cubase will solve all thoose problems, but the biggest draw for me abot the Moxf ( believe it or not) was actually it’s limited mouse and CPU free sequenser and most of all its tiny screen.

I don’t think I understand what you’ve written here. What “limited mouse” - the MOXF does use a mouse at all, period.

If you come from DAW-land, and you know all this, what’s with the question ... Then you know you can use either sequencer to record. Record your MIDI tracks in the MOXF, record your audio tracks in the DAW while they are synchronized together. Cubase as master MIDI Clock and MOXF set to MIDI SYNC = Auto

Can the Moxf sequenser be a master?

Be the Master what? Controller? Yes. Master clock? Yes. But if you are referring to using it with a DAW, the DAW is typically the Master clock. Cubase does not slave to MIDI clock. Audio recording kind of dictates that it should be the master clock… Coming from DAW Land, you know this already.

Install your copy of Cubase AI 7
Find that USB cable and get started!!!
And stop thinking you can’t record audio...many MOXF owners are already doing it!!!

Hope that helps… Perhaps this tutorial series will help you get started with the fundamentals. PART 1 will introduce you to simply basic audio recording between the MOXF and your computer. PART 2 will introduce you to setting up a microphone and recording while performing on the keys, etc. Then it introduces a bit of MIDI and synchronization, etc, and finally, Basic MIDI recording on Cubase with the MOXF:

(BASIC AUDIO RECORDING (in 3 Parts)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 30, 2013 @ 05:56 AM
xmortenx
Joined  06-06-2009

Thanks, I must have mispelled :) What I meant was that I already have a full fledged DAW studio up and running and Im trying to escape from that setup…

In bought the Moxf for songwriting and to get as far away from a computer as possible in that process.... So even though is cool that you can slave the Moxf to a DAW I just want to slave a simple HD recorder or Ipad program that can record audio (demo vocals) to the sequenser of the Moxf - is that possible?

Right now I will write an arrangement in the Moxf and then bounce a stereo track of that to an Hd recorder and then work on the vocals, but It would be cool if i could slave the HD recorder to the Moxf so that i could bring in vocals earlier in the process.

To do that I need the Moxf to be the master and send out sync information that will enable a simple recorder to sync and follow the sequenser of the Moxf.

All the best
Morten

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 30, 2013 @ 05:59 AM
jshep0102
Total Posts:  290
Joined  11-16-2012

The question is - does your hd recorder send/receive sync. Only you can answer that - good luck!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 30, 2013 @ 07:01 AM
xmortenx
Joined  06-06-2009

Thanks! I’ll just purchase whatever is needed.. Any good recommendationd for an IOS app that wil give me 4 to eight simple no fuss audiotracks that can be slaved to the MoXf .

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 04, 2014 @ 07:25 AM
xmortenx
Joined  06-06-2009

So far I have had no luck finding anything that can record audio and will sync to Midi Clock.

I have read through your answer alot of times and to me it looks like this: If I want to record any audio along with the Moxf I have to bring a computer in to play.

I know you talk about all the great possibilities of adding a computer, but I´m trying to “Not bring a computer” since I´m looking for another vibe of songwriting than what I can do in the studio.

Is there anything that can be done with slaving something to the MOXF or is my only option to either just bounce the audio to a recorder and sing to that or hire a 24/7 roadie to help me carry an 88 Motif around…

All the best :)
Morten

Ps. The weight of the Motif´s and the Kronos has always puzzled me - Do the developers actually lift them! The Moxf is a much better compromise of weight vs sturdiness - I hope the new Motif´s will follow that new patch!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 04, 2014 @ 04:15 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

So far I have had no luck finding anything that can record audio and will sync to Midi Clock

And you will not. There is no physical law that prevents you from adjusting the tempo of MIDI - you can do so without penalty. Audio on the other hand, is severely and adversely affected by changes in tempo. Speed it up and the sound chipmunks, slow it down and your music is a laughfest.

It takes a lot of processing and number crunching to prevent audio from pitch shifting and loosing shape, this is why audio devices will need to be the master clock. Audio devices rarely, if ever sync to MIDI.

Refine your search to the things that follow the basic laws of physics… MIDI In on an audio recorder is rare, one that can sync to external MIDI even more rare. I no of none.

Look for an audio recorder that outputs MTC (MIDI Time Code) at least there are audio devices that generate this type of clock, and the MOXF can slave to it in Song mode.

Is there anything that can be done with slaving something to the MOXF or is my only option to either just bounce the audio to a recorder and sing to that or hire a 24/7 roadie to help me carry an 88 Motif around…

As I explained MIDI devices slave to audio, not the other way round. A recorder that allows you to Multi-track is your answer, not sure why that doesn’t appeal to you (is it too easy?).

The Motif XF can record your vocals and all, right on board, no computer necessary.

Ps. The weight of the Motif´s and the Kronos has always puzzled me - Do the developers actually lift them!

Yes, they do! You do realize that some folks actually do have roadies, right? And for them the weight is not an issue.
:-) Allow that others might have different requirements than you.

A handheld recorder like the Yamaha PR7 let’s you overdub, punch in/out, etc., etc. you can record your MOXF direct via the line input. Get a set of quality headphones like Yamaha HPH-MT 220 and use the on-board mic or your own favorite. Record quality will knock your socks off… It’s truly a musicians handheld recorder.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 05, 2014 @ 05:45 AM
xmortenx
Joined  06-06-2009

I have yet to meet a traveling songsmith that enjoy the 30kgs of bagage not even counting flightcase/bag, stand etc.. :) Forget about flying!

Ps.. On a more important note : When I saw you demoing that Cubase AI it looked like the sync went both ways - meaning that you were able to keep the 16 part sequense of miditracks on the Moxf and just track aditional vocals in cubase AI..

Is it possible to work like this:

Make an arrangement on the Moxf and leave it there, while just tracking additional audio (demo vocals) to the Cubase AI.. I will normally start with a full midi arrangement already made in Moxf and do not want to have to bounce that to cubase to lay vocals on top of that..

Furthermore how will Cubase behave if you are in pattern mode ??

All the best
Morten

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 05, 2014 @ 06:20 AM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

I have yet to meet a traveling songsmith that enjoy the 30kgs of bagage not even counting flightcase/bag, stand etc.. :) Forget about flying!

Maybe I know more professional traveling musicians that you… just possible! If it is how you earn a living you deal with it. As I said, it may not be your cup of tea and you may not know any but they are out there, to be sure!

Ps.. On a more important note : When I saw you demoing that Cubase AI it looked like the sync went both ways - meaning that you were able to keep the 16 part sequense of miditracks on the Moxf and just track aditional vocals in cubase AI..

Not sure how you could “see” sync. But rest assured if it was Cubase it was the Master clock and the synthesizer was the slave. Cubase does not slave to MIDI clock. It is always the MASTER. SYNC is one of those things that require two devices - in this case Cubase and the MOXF - when they are sync’d you cannot tell which one is the master - not unless you look.

Perhaps you were fooled by the START/STOP functions - those can be carried out on which every device you independently set to be the TRANSPORT controls. You can use the Computer to START and STOP both devices or if you set the MOXF up as a DAW REMOTE CONTROL SURFACE you can use the MOXF’s PLAY button to start Cubase which in turn starts the MOXF sequencer.

SYNC is absolute. When in SYNC (so to speak) the MOXF will follow the tempo of the MASTER clock (Cubase) when it is in either of the sequencer modes (SONG or PATTERN) and its tempo effects and arpeggiators will use that Master clock as well no matter what the mode.

Make an arrangement on the Moxf and leave it there, while just tracking additional audio (demo vocals) to the Cubase AI.. I will normally start with a full midi arrangement already made in Moxf and do not want to have to bounce that to cubase to lay vocals on top of that..

Sure, why not. Nothing prevents this from happening. Not only that you can export the audio as a 16-bit/44.1kHz audio file and load that into your MOXF (if you have the FLASH BOARD installed) - so you can take your vocals with you!!!!

Furthermore how will Cubase behave if you are in pattern mode ??

Cubase behaves well whether you are in SONG or PATTERN mode. SONG mode you can simply press PLAY and the composition will run from Intro to Ending remaining perfectly in sync. With PATTERN mode, because you can interact with the timing of SECTION changes, you can mess things up - so the question is HOW WILL YOU BEHAVE when in PATTERN mode. If you mess up the timing of changing section you will be out of sync. But with reasonable care you can pull it off.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ How much of MOXF do you use?
Next Topic:

Bad_MIster question ››