mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Basic Flash question"

Posted on: December 28, 2013 @ 05:32 PM
davidtre
Total Posts:  80
Joined  06-18-2011

As a “novice”, I have tried to read some of the Forum posts on flash. However, I find a lot of the discussion’s “way above my level”. Starting with basics, I just got the Motif Premium collection with the promotion.I did upload firmware v1.03 ( which went OK). I can read in manual how to install the flash hardware.

After I install hardware, I am confused as to how exactly this will work. I understand that this will give me more “storage space” So if I try to load some voices from premium collection, or “inspiration in a Flash”, do those voices get stored on the flash drive, and how do I find them in the MOXF. Do those voices replace user bank voices in the MOXF? Do you access those voices just like you would any other voice under the various categories, or do you somehow access them by going into flash drive ( like you might do for files on a computer on a USB flash)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 28, 2013 @ 05:43 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

No Voices are stored to the flash module. Rather, the flash module is a place where Waveforms and Samples get stored. To turn one of your questions into an answer, “those voices replace user bank voices in the MOXF”. When the MOXF is new, the User Voices are just copies of ones from the Preset User Banks, so nothing is lost in the process.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 01, 2014 @ 11:07 AM
davidtre
Total Posts:  80
Joined  06-18-2011

Still a bit confused. What does the flash board really offer in addition to what you might do by just importing some different voices from a voice library, where the new voices replace voices in the user banks?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 01, 2014 @ 11:39 AM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011
davidtre - 01 January 2014 11:07 AM

Still a bit confused. What does the flash board really offer in addition to what you might do by just importing some different voices from a voice library, where the new voices replace voices in the user banks?

Your MOXF has native samples permanently installed.  These samples are accessed by the factory VOICES.

Some third-party VOICE libraries also access these native samples, and no new samples are required to LOAD and play this type of third-party VOICE.

However, many available third-party libraries do use new samples for the generation of their VOICES.  In order to utilize this type of library, the machine must have the ability to LOAD, STORE, and access these new samples.

Inspiration in a Flash is a library of the latter type.  It utilizes many new samples, and can only be utilized in a machine that has the ability to LOAD, STORE, and access these new samples.

That ability is provided by the optional Flash board you are able to install in your MOXF.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 01, 2014 @ 11:45 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
davidtre - 01 January 2014 11:07 AM

Although discussing the Motif XF, much of Bad_Mister‘s first post in this thread should help you understand how Samples, Waveforms, and Voices relate:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/member/viewthread/453034/

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 01, 2014 @ 12:43 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Understanding the relationship between a VOICE and its WAVEFORM will be necessary for you to move forward.

A VOICE is a set a parameters, which by themselves, do not make any sound.
A WAVEFORM is set of audio samples mapped to key and velocity ranges that the MOXF uses to create sound. They are the audio.

VOICE parameters are the clothes that dress up the audio samples (Waveforms). A VOICE without Waveforms makes no sound. Voice parameters “point to” a specific sound source (waveform). Voice parameters tell the audio how loud to play, whether to come out of the left or right speaker, what effects to go through, whether to play an octave up from normal or down from normal, how far to change when the Pitch Bend Wheel is moved, what to do when the Modulation Wheel is moved, how far to open the filter in response to key on velocity, etc., etc. NONE of these things by themselves makes any sound… it is just the dressing (the clothes that dress up the audio). Remove the waveform, these parameters are just nothing.

Therefore if you have a VOICE that is referencing a USER WAVEFORM, and the User Waveform data is not in memory, the VOICE will point to an empty Waveform and make no sound.

The Waveforms, and the sampled audio they organize, are the oscillator component of the synth Voice. Each normal Voice can have eight Waveforms, while a Drum Kit Voice has seventy-three Waveforms. When you think about any musical instrument the sound source is a vibration. Vibration and oscillation are the same thing.

The Waveforms remain in memory either in the PRESET ROM or on the optional FLASH MEMORY boards. VOICES can “point” to these memory locations. But you have many, many, many more WAVEFORMS than you have VOICES.

There are 3977 Waveforms in PRESET ROM, you can have 2048 Waveforms on the FLASH Board…
VOICES: you have 1152 Preset Voices, 384 User Voices, 128 GM Voices and a GM Drum Kit

At any time there are going to be unused Waveforms in the library. Lets say you have a VOICE library that uses Waveforms 0001 through 0996 to create its sounds. A different Library could use Waveforms 0997-1247 to create its VOICES… When Library 1 is loaded the Voices will point to the first group of waveforms and the others will remain unused. When Library 2 is loaded the Voice data will point to the second group of waveforms and the first set will remain unused. (Still in memory but unused).

Once you install your Waveforms on your Flash Board it is imperative you make a backup file that documents exactly where your Voice’s Waveforms are stowed.

So VOICES are loaded and can be manipulated independently from the WAVEFORMS. The Waveforms stay where they are - when you load a set of VOICES, the MOXF “knows” where to look for each particular waveforms. How does it do this? This is something, thankfully, YOU do not have to do yourself. This is what you want technology to do for you - keep track of things so you do not have to do it yourself!!! But this is why your custom Wave ROM must have a backup File that is the key to your Flash Board.

If you have a sample that is your voice speaking or singing and you transfer that to your FLASH BOARD into Waveform location number USR:2033. And you create a VOICE that uses this waveform.

No matter where you load this VOICE or where you copy it.... USER 1: 031(B15) or USER 3: 127(H15) or USER 3: 033(C01) the MOXF will correctly point the VOICE data to Waveform USR:2033

If later you format your Board and load that same Voice its Waveform does not have to go back to Waveform location USR:2033, it will be installed in the lowest numbered empty location available. The MOXF will “repoint” and update all the data as necessary.

Sorry if this is a bit difficult to understand. But the relationship between VOICE data and the WAVEFORM data is such that you cannot DELETE a VOICE… the term is simply incorrect to use. You do not DELETE a VOICE, you can overwrite a VOICE (put something else in that location).  You can DELETE a WAVEFORM… this is correct to say.

If you DELETE a Waveform, any VOICE that uses it will now be “orphaned”. It will have no parent. It, the VOICE, will just be a meaningless set of parameters that make no sound… and point to an empty location.

To DELETE a WAVEFORM FLASH
From [VOICE] mode
Press [FILE]
Press [F6] FLASH
Press [SF2] DELETE
The List of Waveforms currently in memory 0001-2048 appears. Those used in a Voice currently will have information about which Voice near the top of the screen. Those Waveforms that are currently unused will have no information on the info line.

Cursor down to the WAVEFORM LIST
Highlight the WAVEFORM you wish to DELETE ( if you entered from Voice mode you can AUDITION the sample assigned to C3 by pressing [F5]
Press [SF1] DELETE ONE

You will notice when you highlight a WAVEFORM the MOXF will report to you if any VOICES use this WAVEFORM currently.

“USED BY....”

If a WAVEFORM is not currently be used by any VOICE in memory, this area will appear blank. This is so you do not delete a WAVEFORM that might need.

You DO NOT DELETE a VOICE, you can simply load a new VOICE into any USER location. VOICES are just parameters. You can simply load a new Voice into that location.
Go to [FILE]
Set TYPE = VOICE
Select a FILE in your directory containing a MOXF ALL data (.X6A) or ALL VOICE (.X6V) file (additionally, the MOXF can load data from a Motif XF ALL data file .X3A or ALL SONG .X3S).
Press [ENTER] to open that file and see a lit of VOICE within
Select the VOICE you want to load and target the location into which you wish to load this VOICE.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 01, 2014 @ 01:15 PM
gbmoore54
Total Posts:  2
Joined  11-26-2013

Thanks for the short tutorial. I understand most of it. However I laded Chick Corea’s Mark V DCP .x3a file into flash but can’t seem to find anything from this. I as well updated firmware sucessfuly

Gerry

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 01, 2014 @ 01:33 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

Your question is not clear. What can’t you find?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 01, 2014 @ 01:39 PM
gbmoore54
Total Posts:  2
Joined  11-26-2013

Thanks, cannot find any voices or wafeforms or samples that was load to 512 flash board from the x3a file included on the DVD that came with the memory board. Obviously I am a beginner

Gerry

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 02, 2014 @ 02:39 AM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

Thanks, cannot find any voices or wafeforms or samples that was load to 512 flash board from the x3a file included on the DVD that came with the memory board. Obviously I am a beginner

oh, you are also hijacking someone else’s thread, too. :-)

When you setup to load a file you are given the MOXF instructions about where to put data… Whether you know it or not. Similar to if you go online and download a file unless you pay attention to the settings on your computer, you download it and you don’t know where it went. This will continue to happen until you start to pay attention to the dialog boxes you are asked to fill in.

To avoid this in the future pay close attention when loading to the following things:

First. The File TYPE. This will determine what type of data you are loading. (The three characters after the dot tell you the file TYPE).
“ALL” files, for example, will load all the data in the file, in the case of a Motif XF .X3A this will include any Voices, Performances, and Waveforms/Samples data will be placed wherever the original author targeted the data. If it is a MOXF ALL file, (.X6A) it loads Voices, Performances, Songs, Patterns, Masters, etc., literally all user settings.

Loading files without instructions you will need to experiment.
Loading files that have instruction but failing to read them is your own fault.

Find out where, to which USER Bank the author targeted the data.
When loading a file intended for the Motif XF (.X3A) and not originally made for the MOXF (.X6A) , means you must beware that Voices targeting USER BANK 4 of the Motif XF, will not find a home in the MOXF (which have only 3 user banks)

In such a case, use File TYPE = “1Bank Voice” or “Voice”, allowing you to load a Bank of 128 Voices or allowing you to load individual Voices. You can, for example re target Bank 4 > loading it to USER 3 or whichever Bank you want to direct them in your MOXF.

Please read the documentation to find out what Bank your Voices are designed to load, then you can decide which load type to use. Knowing what the File extension is is very much a key to know what to do, and the instructions are important to read.

Let us know.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 07, 2014 @ 06:52 PM
aussie_chicago
Total Posts:  8
Joined  12-26-2013

Ok, so shame on me, but I made the exact same mistake. I imported the chick corea sounds onto the flash board, and I also cant find them now, assuming they went to user 4, which I have a moxf8, so , how do I re-do this ? Do I have to format the flash again and start over, or can I move whats installed on the flash to a different user bank ? I only started getting into getting the keyboard set up this week, so Im a total novice, sorry....

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 07, 2014 @ 08:33 PM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011
aussie_chicago - 07 January 2014 06:52 PM

Ok, so shame on me, but I made the exact same mistake. I imported the chick corea sounds onto the flash board, and I also cant find them now, assuming they went to user 4, which I have a moxf8, so , how do I re-do this ? Do I have to format the flash again and start over, or can I move whats installed on the flash to a different user bank ? I only started getting into getting the keyboard set up this week, so Im a total novice, sorry....

If in fact you have LOADED the Corea sample data to the Flash board, then you do not need to do it again.

“...can I move whats installed on the flash to a different user bank”

Anything installed on the Flash board will never be able to be moved to another USER BANK.  The Flash board will only ever hold Sample/Waveform data.  A USER BANK will only ever hold VOICE (or PERFORMANCE) data.

What you are able to do is point VOICES in any given USER BANK to any Samples/Waveforms they require that are LOADED onto the Flash board.

Here is the question:  Have you been able to locate the VOICES in one of the USER BANKS, or are they entirely missing?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 08, 2014 @ 07:19 AM
aussie_chicago
Joined  12-26-2013

Seems they are entirely missing, I cant find any of them

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 10, 2014 @ 05:42 PM
aussie_chicago
Joined  12-26-2013

Ok, so I formatted the flash board and Im starting from fresh again. ( I may not have had to do that, but I cannot find the chick corea voices anywhere ) . When Im loading, do I select voices with sample and waveform, and designate them to user bank 1, 2 or 3 ? if I do an “all”, it will still put the voices into user bank4 which I don’t want. I may start with a few CP1 sounds first, then move onto the corea sounds . I tried reading the manual, but Im still confused as to how to designate how to load the voices to specific user banks .

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 10, 2014 @ 06:15 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
aussie_chicago - 10 January 2014 05:42 PM

Ok, so I formatted the flash board and Im starting from fresh again. ( I may not have had to do that, but I cannot find the chick corea voices anywhere ) . When Im loading, do I select voices with sample and waveform, and designate them to user bank 1, 2 or 3 ? if I do an “all”, it will still put the voices into user bank4 which I don’t want. I may start with a few CP1 sounds first, then move onto the corea sounds . I tried reading the manual, but Im still confused as to how to designate how to load the voices to specific user banks .

Since you reformatted the flash module, you’ll indeed have to load with Waveforms and Samples.

To Load Chick’s Mark V, see page 156 of the MOXF Reference Manual, in particular the Type “1BankVoice” information. When set to that Type, select the Chick’s file and press [ENTER]. Then select the destination Bank (your choice of 1/2/3), and the source Bank (4) from the file.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Drum arps and velocity Q
Next Topic:

MOXF8 Bag ››