mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Okay, I’ll try to Sequence my next song….help!!!"

Posted on: December 28, 2013 @ 10:09 AM
jerrydpi
Total Posts:  973
Joined  11-03-2012

Hi everyone, I hope you are having a Happy Holiday Season!

If you’ve kept up with my previous Posts, my usual way of writing an original song is starting from a Performance and sending the Audio out via the MOXF usb to my DAW (Logic Pro X).

Since I’m usually changing the Performance by varying the ARPs for the different sections of the song, I’m obviously limited to how many Voices I can play at the same time while recording (I set up various splits on my MOXF8, so I’m limited to a total of (4) Voices per Performance.

Once I have the (4) Parts/Tracks recorded I then start adding either Software or Audio Tracks to play the Parts I couldn’t play with the (4) Voice Performance.

Since I’m in reality recording the different parts (Intro/Verse/Chorus/etc.) in sections (again I’m changing those sections by reaching up and quickly pushing the different ARP Buttons as the section dictates), it has dawned on me (please don’t laugh Phil :-)) to write a song using the MOXF Sequencer.

So here’s where I need your help.

I’m got too many questions floating around in my head to ask them all at once, but I’ll start with a few first:

1) Should I start with a Performance and convert it to a Song?
2) Should I Sequence in the Pattern or Song Mode (my guess is the Pattern Mode.
3) Once the Song/Sequences are finished, will the 4 channel usb total at one time “limitation” transfer to my DAW correctly if I have 8 to 10 Parts in the Song/Sequence?

Thanks

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 28, 2013 @ 10:35 AM
pax_eterna
Total Posts:  209
Joined  11-03-2013

I realise you have your methodology, but why you don’t simply send all the Perf data to your DAW as MIDI data is beyond me.

imo it would remove most, if not all, of these hoops you are trying to put yourself through :-)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 28, 2013 @ 11:12 AM
jerrydpi
Joined  11-03-2012

Hi p_e!

1) Trust me, I have NO methodology (besides being able to write a good song :-))

2) Can you walk me through how to simply send all the Performance data to my DAW as MIDI data?

Thanks!

Jerry

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 28, 2013 @ 11:20 AM
jerrydpi
Joined  11-03-2012

Will anyone answer my Sequencing questions please?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 28, 2013 @ 11:25 AM
pax_eterna
Joined  11-03-2013

Press ARP ED (F5) then OUTCh (F6) set Output Switch to On for each part (select parts by pressing the buttons immediately below the COMMON button)

It should be automatic, but just check that when you turn the output switch on, it also increments the channel number, you don’t want it all going out channel 1 hey :-)

In your DAW, insert 4 midi parts, assigned to matching channels. Start record and then start the Performance on the MOX..

Once the note data is in, feel free to change the instruments around, or cut and paste or whatever! Note that all that gets sent is note and some control data - patches etc are not transmitted. So once recorded, and to maintain the original sound, also insert the correct patch changes in your DAW. I use Sonar so the MOXf .ins file makes this super easy.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 28, 2013 @ 11:26 AM
pax_eterna
Joined  11-03-2013
jerrydpi - 28 December 2013 11:20 AM

Will anyone answer my Sequencing questions please?

Patience dear boy!!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 28, 2013 @ 11:32 AM
pax_eterna
Joined  11-03-2013

Further, once you have the note data safely recorded, and your patches set, and all your parts moved around to make the format of your song, then send the data back to the MOX, but this time set up some audio tracks in your daw and use the audio outs on the MOX into your interface, OR indeed use the USB audio.

I will not go into the recording of separate audio tracks for each part as that is pretty straightforward. TBH if you get the song pretty right using the MIDI tracks and tweaking effects etc then you can probs simply record as a standard stereo wav recording all parts in one pass…

You would only need to record separate audio for each part if you intended applying some further audio processing using your DAW’s vst’s, but as I said if you are totally happy with the finished song in MIDI form, then record your WAV stereo file, master it, and that’s about it, finished :-)

[ Ignore ]