mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "MOXF crazy behavior again when recording…….."

Posted on: December 17, 2013 @ 08:46 PM
jerrydpi
Total Posts:  973
Joined  11-03-2012

Let’s try my problem one more time and I’ll try to be more specific :-)

I’ve got two audio tracks recorded on Logic Pro X (LPX).

Track (1) is a Drum track and track (2) is a Bass track.

Both of these tracks came from a Performance that had ARPs on both of the Voices.

The LPX Stereo Audio Track (1) was set to receive 1-2 and the MOXF Drum Voice was assigned to USB Output Select 1 & 2.

The LPX Mono Track (2) was set to receive on 3 and the MOXF Bass Voice was panned far left and was assigned to USB Output Select 3 & 4.

Once I recorded Tracks (1) and (2), I changed the input on both the LPX Tracks to No Input.

I then go to Track (3) on LPX, create a Stereo Track and set the Input to 3-4.

Next, I go to a different Performance (Dream Ballad) which has no ARPs and set all the Voices within the Performance to 0 volume except the Piano (Voice 1) and set the USB Output Select to 3 & 4.

The Piano plays beautifully, my Sustain Pedal works perfect, so let’s practice a bit along with the recorded Tracks!

As soon as I hit Play on LPX, a high A# note plays without my touching the MOXF keyboard.

What’s going on I ask myself, so I hit the Stop Button on LPX and this time a high A note plays without my touching the MOXF Keyboard (at least it’s not an A#!).

At that point I say WTF, arm Track (3) on LPX and hit the Record Button on LPX.

This time both a high A and A# play at the same time for about a second and once they stop I start to play my Piano Part, but now the Sustain Pedal will not make the Piano Voice sustain.

HELP (again)!!!!!!!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 18, 2013 @ 03:13 AM
MeMyselfAndI64
Total Posts:  201
Joined  11-12-2013

Hard to say what it can be! You are recording audio only?

Check that no midi is routed to the MOXF!
It sounds like it sends some midi message to the MOXF when you hit play in LPX.

I am not an Logic user so I can`t help more than that.

Otherwise you could use the MOXF quick setup and set it to not receive any MIDI.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 18, 2013 @ 04:57 AM
jerrydpi
Joined  11-03-2012

Audio only.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 18, 2013 @ 08:00 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

The devil is always in the details particularly those left out or overlooked.
Once completing recording we would normally make arrangements for the clock ... Since no mention of clock related functions is mentioned in your post are we to assume you used the measures and beats function in the DAW.

A DAW can be used like a tape recorder (which is mostly were deaf, dumb and unaware of the musical position within the composition) or you can synchronize clocks and have your session aware of measures, beats and clock sub-divisions.

Why I focus in on this first is because, if you ARE using clock then you have MIDI being routed. And if you are not using the clock you still have MIDI being routed even though you are not using it. And it is a clock thing that can cause data to travel related to note-on events etc.

Remote control messages are routed on port 2, if these are misrouted and get to your tone engine, it can cause a note-on event, typically unrelated to the musical composition. These remote control MIDI messages are simple commands; ON/OFF commands are assigned key numbers, continuous control numbers are handled by control change 0 thru 127 controls. When isolated on port 2 they do what they are assigned to do efficiently, if however, they get mixed in to the data on port 1, they can start triggering notes on your tone generator. Hung notes are common because an On message would look like a note-on with no note-off.

So although you are very careful to specify everything you are doing is audio… You are in fact probably using MIDI even if not on purpose.

In order to “teach” a computer music, the first thing they really needed to do was teach it “musician time”. How to count. So there is clock information that is handled by MIDI. Its on port 1 along with you music control data. The remote control of the transports use MIDI messages (on a discreet USB Port), the Editor uses another port just for communication controlling the tone engine all by MIDI; the remote editor for setting up templates with other VSTi is on yet another port, and there is even a port for the 5-pin MIDI jacks to send data through the MOXF for an external device to communicate with the computer.

Basically, whether you think you are using it or not, you are using it, is what I’m getting at. So knowing where things are routed is going to be important.

And it sounds very much like a routing problem with your MIDI, whether it is clock or some sort of controlling data, can’t really tell at this point. You give no clues as to how you are routing the five ports of MIDI data…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 18, 2013 @ 08:12 AM
jerrydpi
Joined  11-03-2012

Thank you Phil :-)

1) Yes, I used the measures and beats function in the DAW.
2) Would the first place to look be the various Quick Setup options?
3) If not, where do I look to see where things are routed?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 18, 2013 @ 08:54 AM
jerrydpi
Joined  11-03-2012

PS

To keep this from happening again, knowing that I will:

a) Record a Performance that has a Drum and Bass ARP going on at the same time.
b) Record the Drums to a Stereo Audio Track on my DAW.
c) Record the Bass to a Mono Audio Track on my DAW.

1) What would you do (as far as setting up) on the DAW?
2) What would you do (as far as setting up) on the MOXF?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 19, 2013 @ 08:48 AM
jerrydpi
Joined  11-03-2012

Any suggestions anyone?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 19, 2013 @ 11:23 AM
MeMyselfAndI64
Total Posts:  201
Joined  11-12-2013

It,s hard to suggest something as I know nothing about LPX.

To use the Quick setup is an workaround.
That does not solve the problem that LPX is sending an MIDI message when you hit play.

All I can recommend is check the MIDI settings in LPX.
Port settings,synchronize clocks etc

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Expand internal memory
Next Topic:

Modulation Wheel Control ››