mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "KEYBOARD MISFIRE NOTES TOUCH VELOCITY SENSITIVITY"

Page 1 of 2
Posted on: December 14, 2013 @ 02:29 PM
Joshman
Total Posts:  208
Joined  10-28-2013

Something very weird and strange just happen at a rehearsal in church this afternoon with the MOXF6. It was as though the keyboard was misfiring or sounding not exactly when my fingers would expect? Almost a simi second delay?  I know from watching the instructional video that when you get the MOXF6 you are supposed to do a velocity check I tried it on all 5 settings and it did the same thing on all 5 soft - fixed - I noticed that it happened mostly when I was using sustain pedal.
Any suggestions ?
Many Thanks
Josh

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 14, 2013 @ 02:49 PM
MeMyselfAndI64
Total Posts:  201
Joined  11-12-2013

Need more information
I am sure it has nothing to do with velocity settings!!

Since the MOXF does not have built in speakers....
What is it connected to when this is happening?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 14, 2013 @ 02:50 PM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011
Joshman - 14 December 2013 02:29 PM

Something very weird and strange just happen at a rehearsal in church this afternoon with the MOXF6. It was as though the keyboard was misfiring or sounding not exactly when my fingers would expect? Almost a simi second delay?  I know from watching the instructional video that when you get the MOXF6 you are supposed to do a velocity check I tried it on all 5 settings and it did the same thing on all 5 soft - fixed - I noticed that it happened mostly when I was using sustain pedal.
Any suggestions ?
Many Thanks
Josh

What you are describing can sometimes be traced to a polyphony issue due to the way you are playing the instrument.

If you are repeatedly triggering many notes, perhaps with multiple layered parts, and also heavily using the sustain pedal...well, polyphony can start to really add up and create the type of symptoms you are reporting.

Here is an article on the subject you may find helpful, you will just need to make the mental adaptation from the XS to the MOXF.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 14, 2013 @ 02:54 PM
Joshman
Joined  10-28-2013

I was not using any sequencing but there were only 2 layers I believe I was using the Lake Side Performance sound Piano Pad
I was hearing it back thru head phones via an Avion monitor system

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 14, 2013 @ 04:52 PM
Joshman
Joined  10-28-2013

I don’t think it’s polyphony..
I just muted parts 1,2 and 3
Played and auditioned several pads synthths etc
when I struck the keys a millisecond later the keyboard sounded?
This happened on several voices but not all ???
Any Thoughts ?
Is my keyboard defective , I just bought it 2 weeks ago ?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 14, 2013 @ 06:18 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
Joshman - 14 December 2013 04:52 PM

I don’t think it’s polyphony..
I just muted parts 1,2 and 3
Played and auditioned several pads synthths etc
when I struck the keys a millisecond later the keyboard sounded?
This happened on several voices but not all ??? [...]

Previously you wrote about two layers, but now you’ve muted “parts 1, 2 and 3”. You also said “This happened on several voices”, but Voices don’t have Parts. If you tell us what you’re actually playing, it might help us help you.

Besides the possibility of a simple polyphony issue, there could be other things causing the problem. I’d suggest that you plug headphones directly into the MOXF, and disconnect any other cables, except for power. Then check whether the delay still exists. If so, let us know more precisely what you’re doing.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 14, 2013 @ 06:55 PM
Joshman
Joined  10-28-2013

Ok,Sorry to confuse you : I was not only testing the one performance Lake Side It was during that in rehearsal that I first noticed it. But now thinking back Last week on the Job I noticed it also but didn’t know if it was part of the performance I was using.

Obviously I am testing several situations out, several Performances and several individual voices to see if it continues to occur or not.
When I was referring to the muting of parts I had chosen a very busy performance with 4 layers.
Here is another thing that I noticed. when using another keyboard to trigger the MOXF6 I do not notice it only when I am using the keyboard on the MOXF6 that is why I am worried that I may have a defective unit ?
It’s as if there some after touch setting engaged or something.
When it really happened the most was when I was in the heavy layered performance I was trying out several different voices on part 4 some did it some did not ?
Thanks for all of your input.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 14, 2013 @ 07:09 PM
Joshman
Joined  10-28-2013

Ok, experimenting with Traumezeit U1 G-9
only seems to happen when drums/arpeg is on
Hitting a bass note and there is a mili second delay before I hear the note
if I keep tapping the bass note I do not hear it unless I depress it and about a 1/2 second later the bass tone sounds .. Is that normal ?  Is it normal on that performance when arpeg/ drums are on ??

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 14, 2013 @ 07:12 PM
cmayhle
Joined  10-05-2011
Joshman - 14 December 2013 06:55 PM

...When it really happened the most was when I was in the heavy layered performance I was trying out several different voices on part 4 some did it some did not ?

Joshman, if you add this statement to substantial use of the sustain pedal...you really need to examine your polyphony.

Until you eliminate all potential pilot error, it is counter-productive to focus on whether the unit is defective or not.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 14, 2013 @ 07:20 PM
Joshman
Joined  10-28-2013

Ok will do
It doesn’t seem to be happening on individual voices unless they are a part of a perforance
only in performances
Especially noticeable
with Traumezeit U1 G-9
If somebody get’s a chance would you try that performance and see if this same thing happens
if I keep tapping the bass note I do not hear it unless I depress it and about a 1/2 second later the bass tone sounds .. Is that normal ?  Is it normal on that performance when arpeg/ drums are on ??
Thank you all so much

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 14, 2013 @ 07:53 PM
cmayhle
Joined  10-05-2011
Joshman - 14 December 2013 07:20 PM

...Especially noticeable
with Traumezeit U1 G-9
If somebody get’s a chance would you try that performance and see if this same thing happens
Thank you all so much

I am not familiar with this PERFORMANCE, but let me ask the obvious question:  Is the bass PART arpeggiated?  If so, when you trigger it on the keyboard, the sound timing could very possibly be in the control of the machine...which wouldn’t necessarily be how you are playing it.

Try muting or bringing the volume down on the other (non-bass) PARTS, then push and hold down a single note in the bass range of the keyboard.  Does the bass PART play multiple notes and/or rhythmic phrases on it’s own?  If so, when you release the note does it then stop?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 14, 2013 @ 10:43 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

Traumzeit (not Traumezeit) is Performance USER 2 117(H05) on the XS or XF. As cmayhle surmised, Part 2 (Dark Bass) is arpeggiated. The delay is “normal”.

By the way, “Traumzeit” translates to “dream time”. Seems appropriate.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 14, 2013 @ 11:07 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
Joshman - 14 December 2013 06:55 PM

[...] Here is another thing that I noticed. when using another keyboard to trigger the MOXF6 I do not notice it only when I am using the keyboard on the MOXF6 that is why I am worried that I may have a defective unit ? [...]

If the situation tends to exist when you have another keyboard connected via MIDI (both In and Out), or with a computer connected, it’s possible that you’ve created a MIDI loop that is echoing data.

That’s why I said earlier “I’d suggest that you plug headphones directly into the MOXF, and disconnect any other cables, except for power. Then check whether the delay still exists.”

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 15, 2013 @ 10:03 AM
Joshman
Joined  10-28-2013

Thanks a Bunch guys - I really appreciate all of your help, input and insight. However, Today it misfired like crazy in Church on several Performances Lakeside one of them and one of my own with 4 layers.
Just a Thought, Would it hurt anything for me to re install the firmware update and re initiate the unit back to factory settings and see if that helps just to rule out anything may be going on internally ?
Can I re install the firmware update with out doing any harm to the unit because I had already did so a few days ago ?
Thanks
Please Advise
Sincerely,
Josh

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 15, 2013 @ 10:57 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

For anyone following along, Lake Side is Performance USER1 10(A10) on the MOXF, or Performance USER2 79(E15) on an XS or XF (assuming you have the factory Performances loaded). It only has two Parts active, as long as Parts 3 and 4 aren’t turned on.

You could certainly reinstall the OS update and/or do a factory reset. Whether either of those will help with what you’re experiencing is questionable.

When the “misfire” occurs, how is the MOXF connected? Please list all cables that are attached to it.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 15, 2013 @ 11:07 AM
Joshman
Joined  10-28-2013

Ok Today
Y cord for outputs L and R
Power cord
Sustain Pedal and FC5
Foot FC7 in foot control output
Many Thanks

[ Ignore ]