mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Do the MOXF and XF sound alike?"

Page 7 of 8
Posted on: April 13, 2014 @ 03:21 PM
jerrydpi
Total Posts:  973
Joined  11-03-2012

Stephen,

I didn’t think about (duh!!) using the MOXF Editor on a Mac/PC Mac.

I use a MacBook Pro for recording my originals, so how about them apples:)

Thanks!

Jerry

PS

Have you talked to Jerry K. lately?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 13, 2014 @ 03:53 PM
nbadesign
Total Posts:  994
Joined  08-20-2007

Bad_Mister - 11 December 2013 06:58 AM

It’s just the kind of thing you do when you are out of musical ideas to do…

Please make some music - this is the silliest endeavor… let’s look at it this way.

BM is completely right. I don’t know why you should spent so many time to find those differences? FYIO, I’m an electrical engineer and PhD holder in research, but that only helps me to easier understand some technical aspect of Motif. The music and inspiration that I have during playing my Motifs (ES6 with VL, AN and DX, Rack XS and MOXF6) is the best that I could have from those instruments.
Finally, I could say after playing some performances that exist both in Rack XS and MOXF, like “Double Dip the Funk”, “Andy Lucia”, “2 Guitars for Mrs R”, sounds the same. I couldn’t find any difference during playing, but I have realized that maybe output of MOXF is something lower, both with headphones and PA.
One difference that I found is in performance “Urban Shuffle”,
but only as a lack of Aftertouch on MOXF since effect of playing harmonica is set to be triggered with Aftertouch. That I could produce while playing Rack XS from ES, but this effect could be set to FC7 pedal.
So, to conclude. Differences still exist, but play your instrument(s) and don’t spent time on such an interesting research if it is not part of some other your job :).

Alex

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 13, 2014 @ 06:06 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
nbadesign - 13 April 2014 03:53 PM
Bad_Mister - 11 December 2013 06:58 AM

It’s just the kind of thing you do when you are out of musical ideas to do…

Please make some music - this is the silliest endeavor… let’s look at it this way.

BM is completely right. I don’t know why you should spent so many time to find those differences? FYIO, I’m an electrical engineer and PhD holder in research, but that only helps me to easier understand some technical aspect of Motif.

This thread was begun because there were a number of comments that the sound of the MOXF was inferior to that of the XF. There are those who found value in the comparison. I’m sorry that you and Bad_Mister didn’t. The 7410 views of this thread (at this point in time) would seem to attest to interest in the topic.

“FYIO”, you aren’t the only member of this forum with technical degrees and expertise. Some of us just think it’s ungracious to mention it, though.

nbadesign -

The music and inspiration that I have during playing my Motifs (ES6 with VL, AN and DX, Rack XS and MOXF6) is the best that I could have from those instruments.
Finally, I could say after playing some performances that exist both in Rack XS and MOXF, like “Double Dip the Funk”, “Andy Lucia”, “2 Guitars for Mrs R”, sounds the same. I couldn’t find any difference during playing, but I have realized that maybe output of MOXF is something lower, both with headphones and PA.
One difference that I found is in performance “Urban Shuffle”,
but only as a lack of Aftertouch on MOXF since effect of playing harmonica is set to be triggered with Aftertouch. That I could produce while playing Rack XS from ES, but this effect could be set to FC7 pedal.
So, to conclude. Differences still exist, but play your instrument(s) and don’t spent time on such an interesting research if it is not part of some other your job :).

Alex

It’s interesting that you found the thread to be a waste of time, and then go on about your own observations concerning audible differences. Perhaps you should spend more time playing music and less making gratuitous pronouncements.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 13, 2014 @ 06:22 PM
nbadesign
Joined  08-20-2007

5pinDIN,

I never thought that I’m only member with technical degree and didn’t want to provoke anyone because I said that. Also, I think that you didn’t understand me well and that it is not good for this forum to exchange hard words between members.

Alex

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 13, 2014 @ 06:43 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
nbadesign - 13 April 2014 06:22 PM

5pinDIN,

I never thought that I’m only member with technical degree and didn’t want to provoke anyone because I said that. Also, I think that you didn’t understand me well and that it is not good for this forum to exchange hard words between members.

Alex

I don’t tend to “exchange hard words”, but my words were no harsher than merited by your dismissive attitude concerning the value of my thread.

I thought your comments were relatively clearly stated, but if you feel that you’re being misunderstood, you could certainly clarify what you wrote.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 13, 2014 @ 11:20 PM
Stephen Kay
Total Posts:  169
Joined  01-13-2011
jerrydpi - 13 April 2014 03:21 PM

PS

Have you talked to Jerry K. lately?

Totally off topic - but yes. ;)

He’s living large in Hawaii and having a ball. I hope to move out there myself someday. Gotta sell more software first. ;)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 13, 2014 @ 11:29 PM
stoneb3
Total Posts:  851
Joined  06-05-2011

Outstanding. We tolerate the pundits, whiners and naysayers on a daily basis, then dismiss a contributing members’ thoughtful contribution as meritless. Sorry, but I can’t locate the harm in this thread, which addresses one of the more popular questions a potential synth purchaser may have. I’ve found the comparison to be as fair and reasonable as can be expected and lets recall we’re not submitting photos of an eclipse to support a new theory in physics.

Thank you 5pIn.

Stone

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 14, 2014 @ 01:08 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
stoneb3 - 13 April 2014 11:29 PM

Outstanding. We tolerate the pundits, whiners and naysayers on a daily basis, then dismiss a contributing members’ thoughtful contribution as meritless. Sorry, but I can’t locate the harm in this thread, which addresses one of the more popular questions a potential synth purchaser may have. I’ve found the comparison to be as fair and reasonable as can be expected and lets recall we’re not submitting photos of an eclipse to support a new theory in physics.

Thank you 5pIn.

Stone

Thanks Stone.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 14, 2014 @ 03:35 PM
nbadesign
Joined  08-20-2007

[quote author="5pinDIN" date="1397443431
I don’t tend to “exchange hard words”, but my words were no harsher than merited by your dismissive attitude concerning the value of my thread.

I thought your comments were relatively clearly stated, but if you feel that you’re being misunderstood, you could certainly clarify what you wrote.

I don’t want to go deeper in clarifying my statement and provoke some others who only see one side or another. We should not deal here on those who like or not like to play music. Since we are posting here, we like our Motifs. You clearly seen that I have give some short opinion regarding MOXF sound comparing to Rack XS, since I have both units and could only compare that.
Just short, in order to help if you need. But, I really said that I have no time these days for such comparisons, because I have barely an hour per day for playing music. Of course, that’s mine problem not yours.

Finally, I don’t won’t to reply and comment to anyone that uses words like psychobabble, since mine words were not unpleasant.

Alex

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 30, 2014 @ 02:33 AM
dingo
Total Posts:  10
Joined  07-13-2012

what i heard is that fx sound that goes from right to left at the very beginning..

when it arrives left B and C seem to be hard panned left for a short time, whereas A virtually never sounds hard panned, it sounds like leaking into the middle a bit

anyway great to know there’s a €999 gear that offers the flagship sound, i <3 u yamaha..

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 04, 2014 @ 10:23 PM
raisindot
Total Posts:  9
Joined  04-07-2005

I almost hate to resurrect this thread, but since I’ve recently completed a quest to decide if I wanted an MOXF6 I’d like to give you my totally unscientific and subjective opinion.

I won’t tell you the lengths I had to go through to actually FIND a store in my area (Boston) that had an MOXF6 to try out. (Thank you Bad_Mister for helping bring the only one in MA to the Boston location.) I initially wanted to try it out to see it I liked the keyboard feel. It passed that test.

Fortunately, the MOXF6 on display was located right above a Motif XF8, and both were running through the same speakers so I could do a real A/B test.

I did so, spending nearly an hour comparing the first 200 or so sounds, with a focus on pianos, EPs and organs. I played both in Voice mode. Didn’t adjust any parameters whatsoever. Volume was exactly the same for both.

My conclusion: The “base” sounds were nearly exactly the same. The only difference is that MOXF6 version of the sounds were just a little bit brighter and perhaps a teeny bit more “brittle.” I believe that in a blindfold test I would have been able to tell the difference. But I didn’t think that the XF8 sounded “better” than the MOXF6 or vice versa. They both sounded verrra, verra nice. And, frankly, I would image twiddling effects on the keyboard or running it through outboard or DAW-based effects would erase even these tiny differences. Since I didn’t need the more advanced features of the XF8 nor the budget for it, I had absolutely no problem at all decided to purchase the MOXF6.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 22, 2015 @ 09:27 PM
paulus1971
Total Posts:  17
Joined  07-22-2014

Hi 5pinDIN,

I have already recorded wave file of Xs’d Up PC demo song of your Motif using my Yamaha MOXF. But i don’t know how to attach the wave file

Could you tell me how to upload the file? My file is around 35 MB. The maximum i can upload in this forum is 20 MB i think.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 22, 2015 @ 10:10 PM
paulus1971
Total Posts:  17
Joined  07-22-2014

For now, i can only upload the mp3 version.

Its Bit Depth is 16 bits, the original wave file is sampled at 32 bits, and its Bit Rate is 320 kbs.

File Attachments
Xs'd Up PC.mp3  (File Size: 3977KB - Downloads: 341)
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 22, 2015 @ 10:14 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
paulus1971 - 22 April 2015 09:27 PM

Hi 5pinDIN,

I have already recorded wave file of Xs’d Up PC demo song of your Motif using my Yamaha MOXF. But i don’t know how to attach the wave file

Could you tell me how to upload the file? My file is around 35 MB. The maximum i can upload in this forum is 20 MB i think.

I wasn’t expecting any new contributions to this thread, and unless they’re created like the earlier ones, might confuse the issue. At 35 MB, yours is about twice the size of the previous ones, so something is different.

If you want to post your wave file, please record it at 44.1k/16-bit, normalize it, then zip it.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 23, 2015 @ 03:13 PM
benj00
Total Posts:  113
Joined  06-03-2011

This thread rocks for so many different reasons.  Somehow, it’s restored my faith in humanity a little bit.

Thanks 5pin!

[ Ignore ]  

Page 7 of 8

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Using FC-5 with the MOXF
Next Topic:

CFX and S6 on MOXF ››