mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Using FC-5 with the MOXF"

Posted on: December 09, 2013 @ 09:10 PM
jsegovia
Total Posts:  25
Joined  03-20-2004

I have a question I’ve seen sort of asked elsewhere in this forum but I’m not sure if I’ve ever found the final answer about how to resolve this.  When I connect a Yamaha FC-5 pedal to the FOOT SWITCH ASSIGNABLE jack, by default the pedal seems to turn ARP 1 on and off at least for all the voices I’ve tried.  And when I step once on the pedal ARP 1 stays on, and when I step on the pedal again ARP 1 goes off.

But when I switch FOOT SWITCH ASSIGNABLE to another function like MOD or ASSIGN 1 it does not stay on when I step on the pedal once.  The effect is on only on as long as I keep holding down the pedal.  It appears from the discussions I’ve seen that I cannot make the FC-5 behave with MOD or ASSIGN 1 the same way it does with ARP 1.  Is this correct?

And is it true that if I buy a different kind of pedal and use it the exact same way, then I WILL be able to make MOD or ASSIGN 1 stay on by stepping on the pedal once and then turn it off by stepping on the pedal again?  If so exactly which pedal have users tried with success?

Thanks.

Jesse

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 09, 2013 @ 09:44 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

By nature the FC5 is a momentary switch. This means it works like a sustain pedal ... When pressed it sends 127 and when released it sends 0.

Now if you assign this Assignable Foot switch parameter to a specific CONTROL CHANGE number, the behavior of the switch will depend on the Control Change function you are assigning.

Control Change numbers 1-95 function in a certain manner… For example, cc001 assigned to the FC5 would be 0 until you press the pedal down, at which point it would send a value of 127… And would continue to do so until you lifted yor foot when it would again send a 0 value. This will be true for all CC 1-95 (except 32)

If you assign the Foot Switch to values 96-100, the function is a bit different. Yamaha has selected specific functions for these cc

96 = Arp On/Off
97 = Play/Stop
98 = Program Increment
99 = Program Decrement
100 = Octave Reset

Here the initial press activates the function.

Please recognize that CC 1-95 are standard MIDI Control Change protocol… And would be very much the same in most MIDI devices… Regardless of manufacturer.
The items that Yamaha has selected for 96-100 are not generally found in all MIDI products

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 09, 2013 @ 10:03 PM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011
jsegovia - 09 December 2013 09:10 PM

...And is it true that if I buy a different kind of pedal and use it the exact same way, then I WILL be able to make MOD or ASSIGN 1 stay on by stepping on the pedal once and then turn it off by stepping on the pedal again?  If so exactly which pedal have users tried with success?....

The Yamaha requires a latching switch to “hold” the current condition for a MOD Wheel On/Off assignment (Such as Hammond Leslie effect, etc...a switch like
This One.

Please understand this is a SWITCH (e.g. FS for the MOXF) and NOT a controller (e.g. FC7 pedal)

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Adding a half measure into a performance?
Next Topic:

Do the MOXF and XF sound alike? ››