mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Motif XF Premium Collection DVD Download Question"

Posted on: December 06, 2013 @ 11:46 AM
rufusn
Total Posts:  10
Joined  12-06-2013

Hi,

I just received the Motif XF premium collection DVD and 512 memory module as part of the special offer for new moXF8 customers.

How do I download it onto the synth itself? - I don’t see a DVD slot in the back anywhere.

JUST KIDDING about the DVD slot.  I am PC/MAC/advanced digital cameras savy, but this is my first synth and the “protocol” of how to put stuff into the synth is foregign.  I am sensing I should be installing some software program on my PC and then using that interface to communicate to the synth and transfer stuff, but I am looking for a simple how-to that someone can explain to me in layman’s terms.

What IS this “over 3.9 GB of incredible sample content for use in your Motif XF”?

Also, I would love to know how to download performances, as in from the XF8, which has a couple that I really like.

Thanks for any useful info and for your time.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 06, 2013 @ 12:55 PM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011
rufusn - 06 December 2013 11:46 AM

...How do I download it onto the synth itself? - I don’t see a DVD slot in the back anywhere.

JUST KIDDING about the DVD slot.  I am PC/MAC/advanced digital cameras savy, but this is my first synth and the “protocol” of how to put stuff into the synth is foregign.  I am sensing I should be installing some software program on my PC and then using that interface to communicate to the synth and transfer stuff, but I am looking for a simple how-to that someone can explain to me in layman’s terms....

Take a look at page 60 of the MOXF Owner’s Manual, and it will give you an overview of how to go about LOADING data to the machine from a USB Flash (Thumb) drive (After copying it from the DVD if that is what it came on).

Beginning on page 158 of the MOXF Reference Manual, you will find a discussion of the Flash module, which is what you received in your Premium Collection.

The 512MB Flash module, once installed (Back to the MOXF Owner’s Manual, page 70), is where the “over 3.9 GB of incredible sample content for use in your Motif XF” will be LOADED (Burned).

Well, at least to a maximum of 512MB at any given time...!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 06, 2013 @ 03:32 PM
rufusn
Joined  12-06-2013

Can performances be downloaded? How? I could not find any such downloads on the Yamaha site.  I thought it would be there and available as a free download, since, once the 3.6GB Premium collection is on the synth (512mb at a time) the ingredients to put together a performance from either an FX or a MOX are available?

This information I could not find.

If the simple definition for an mp3 file extension is “compressed sound”, what would be the various simple definitions (that everybody can relate to - regardless of their musical skills) for the Yamaha-based file extensions (x6a, x3a, x0p, etc. etc.)?

Thanks.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 06, 2013 @ 04:17 PM
cmayhle
Joined  10-05-2011
rufusn - 06 December 2013 03:32 PM

...If the simple definition for an mp3 file extension is “compressed sound”, what would be the various simple definitions (that everybody can relate to - regardless of their musical skills) for the Yamaha-based file extensions (x6a, x3a, x0p, etc. etc.)?

Thanks.

These are simply proprietary Yamaha data files that define the parameters that allow samples to actually be utilized by the machine to make music.

Page 155 of the MOXF Reference Manual defines these proprietary data file types for that machine.

They have no use or value outside of the synthesizer that can utilize them.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 06, 2013 @ 04:22 PM
cmayhle
Joined  10-05-2011
rufusn - 06 December 2013 03:32 PM

Can performances be downloaded? How? I could not find any such downloads on the Yamaha site.  I thought it would be there and available as a free download, since, once the 3.6GB Premium collection is on the synth (512mb at a time) the ingredients to put together a performance from either an FX or a MOX are available?....

Since PERFORMANCES on the MOXF are combinations of 1-4 VOICES as PARTS, and since USER PERFORMANCE BANKS are part of the MOXF USER locations where these can be STORED, and since you are provided full USER BANKS of (example) PERFORMANCES by Yamaha when the machine is purchased and invited to customize your own PERFORMANCES, I am not sure what you mean by “downloading performances”.

Having said that, there are free PERFORMANCES out there that can be downloaded, but I am not exactly sure what your meaning of “performances” is.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 06, 2013 @ 07:52 PM
rufusn
Joined  12-06-2013

I meant presets.  Like BOP TILL YOU DROP (like), JEMBRANA, SARAH’S DREAM.

Thanks, cmayhle.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 08, 2013 @ 08:47 PM
rufusn
Joined  12-06-2013

Once the 3.6GB are loaded to the 512 memory, how can they (ex: Chick Corea) be accessed?

Following the page 60 advice and downloading one sample - all my FAVORITES were erased.  There honestly is not a simple, easy to understand and follow summary that a person who’s never touched a synth can walk off the street and be able to figure out without stumbling along the way.

I thought my FAVORITES were saved in the permanent memory, not the 512 I just installed.  So when I am loading from the USB is it going to the 512 module or is there some secret way I have to use to point it there in order for the new stuff I’m adding not to erase my FAVORITES each time I’m attempting to load something?

Can anyone point which page this info would be on?  Thanks in advance.

The file hierachy system seems to be archaic and DOS-like.  Unfortunately my knowledge only goes back to DOS 3.1

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 08, 2013 @ 09:08 PM
cmayhle
Joined  10-05-2011
rufusn - 08 December 2013 08:47 PM

Forgive my ignorance, but once the 3.6GB are loaded to the 512 memory, how can they (ex: Chick Corea) be accessed?

Although I am not personally familiar specifically with the Premium Collection/Chick Corea Library, here is what I can tell you:

Obviously you cannot LOAD 3.6GB of data to your Flash Board at one time.  I suspect that the Rhodes Library you want to LOAD is only a portion of the total sample data on your Premium DVD.

Perhaps 400MB or so?

The Chick Corea Library consists of sample data and VOICES.  Both of these entities must be installed...samples to Flash Board, VOICES to USER locations.

I am willing to bet money that there are specific instructions contained in the materials you received that explain to you how to install both!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 08, 2013 @ 09:20 PM
rufusn
Joined  12-06-2013

There probably are instructions.  I just don’t get them.

Maybe this machine is too primitive and I do have to think like DOS 3.1.

Thanks for the effort.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 08, 2013 @ 09:41 PM
rufusn
Joined  12-06-2013

And I just tried loading a second sample from the USB flash drive on the synth.

How intuitive is that?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 08, 2013 @ 09:41 PM
cmayhle
Joined  10-05-2011
rufusn - 08 December 2013 09:20 PM

There probably are instructions.  I just don’t get them.

Maybe this machine is too primitive and I do have to think like DOS 3.1....

Well, I’m not sure that is the answer!

Sorry I do not have personal experience with these Samples/VOICES.

I am sure that some of those that have direct experience with these materials and how to get them LOADED will chime in.

In the meantime, perhaps This Thread will be of assistance.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 08, 2013 @ 09:46 PM
cmayhle
Joined  10-05-2011
rufusn - 08 December 2013 09:41 PM

And I just tried loading a second sample from the USB flash drive on the synth.

How intuitive is that?

I don’t know exactly what you are trying to LOAD obviously, but it sounds like you are pointing more data at your 512MB Flash than it can accommodate.

Please take a look at This Thread.

It is from the XF Forum, but the same principles involving Flash Modules apply to the MOXF.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 08, 2013 @ 09:46 PM
rufusn
Joined  12-06-2013

That’s a very good link, thanks.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ MASTER MODE
Next Topic:

New Pianos for MOXF ››