mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "acoustic piano sound and the stereo vs mono issue - again - church application"

Posted on: December 03, 2013 @ 07:47 AM
southpoint
Total Posts:  24
Joined  05-01-2006

Is it possible to get the L/mono version of the acoustic piano patches to sound “okay”? To me – the L/mono version of the acoustic piano patches sound very poor in the FOH. I have the S90ES and the MOTIF ES8 (with the Yamaha S700 sample). The stereo headphone version of the acoustic pianos sounds fantastic of course. The L/Mono version sounds buzzy, muddy, flat, tinny and just lifeless – totally lacking any sparkle.

Last night I had access to a Bose L1 “classic” system – so I plugged in my S90ES via the L/mono. The acoustic natural piano sound was just so muddy and buzzy etc and is a huge let down when I know what it should sound like. It helped if I selected one of the brighter pianos – but still not acceptable to my standards.

My understanding is that the L/Mono output is a sum of the L and R (assuming there is nothing plugged into the right). I need to experiment – but is there a way to only use only the right side and then EQ the output to beef up the output where the signal drops off (signal either gets lower in volume the lower the keyboard is played or lower volume the higher octave it is played – not sure which)? I was reading about such a technique in a keyboard magazine from Nov 2012 on stage piano/keyboards and the mono/stereo issue.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 03, 2013 @ 09:19 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Stop losing sleep, if you are playing in MONO, why not just pick the MONO version of the piano.

In the S90 ES - PRE 1:006(A06) Mono S (mono sampled version of the “Natural S")
In the Motif ES - PRE 1:006(A06) Mono Grand (mono sampled version of the “Full Grand")

Trying to play a stereo sampled piano is obviously causing your single speaker system problems ... Try selecting the MONO version, if you get the same poor results it is not what you’ve been thinking is the cause (we’ll leave it at that)....

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 03, 2013 @ 10:01 AM
southpoint
Total Posts:  24
Joined  05-01-2006
Bad_Mister - 03 December 2013 09:19 AM

Stop losing sleep, if you are playing in MONO, why not just pick the MONO version of the piano.

In the S90 ES - PRE 1:006(A06) Mono S (mono sampled version of the “Natural S")
In the Motif ES - PRE 1:006(A06) Mono Grand (mono sampled version of the “Full Grand")

Trying to play a stereo sampled piano is obviously causing your single speaker system problems ... Try selecting the MONO version, if you get the same poor results it is not what you’ve been thinking is the cause (we’ll leave it at that)....

Thanks for the quick reply. Thanks for mentioning that - because I tried just that! I tried the Mono S and it definitely helped. But it still had that unmusical unpiano-like fuzzy lack of clarity to it. Hey - the stereo samples are awesome - but I’m just trying to get the best out of the mono equivalent.

How is the Mono S sampled? Is it a sample of a piano with a single mic?? Or is it a processed mixed down version of the stereo samples?

For now - I’m stuck with a mono system and trying to make the best of it.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 31, 2014 @ 05:45 PM
markadeleon
Total Posts:  62
Joined  09-14-2012

Why not just run an adapter, 2 male mono to 1 mono female?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 02, 2014 @ 05:21 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
markadeleon - 31 January 2014 05:45 PM

Why not just run an adapter, 2 male mono to 1 mono female?

Because it accomplishes nothing different than using the L/MONO output. As southpoint previously said, “the L/Mono output is a sum of the L and R (assuming there is nothing plugged into the right)”.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ just a piano player
Next Topic:

Optimize DXR10 Monitor Setup ››