mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Vocoder wet/dry mix and raw vocal’s being heard??"

Posted on: November 24, 2013 @ 09:35 AM
mikebengel
Total Posts:  86
Joined  03-16-2013

I posted on a 3 year old thread in Motif XS forums but to see if someone had figured this out.

I’m playing in pattern mode, using the vocoder with my voice from the mic being the modulator.  Is there a way to get my actual raw voice to pass through along with the modulated normal vocoder sound?  I played around with the wet/dry mix but it just allows the raw vocoder voice patch to play through. The other treads I read never really came to any conclusions if it was possible or not.  Maybe someone has figured it out.  Thank’s.....love this keyboard

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 25, 2013 @ 06:50 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/448815/

The answer is in this post. Perhaps I’m not thorough enough some times… :-)

If you still have the question

Is there a way to get my actual raw voice to pass through along with the modulated normal vocoder sound?

… The very first thing said is: the vocoder is not an effect applied to your Voice. It is your Voice being used to modulate the synth.

So in the plainest terms, so you don’t have to bother with this technical stuff is: No
:-)

I explain what the Wet/Dry signal does, and why the Dry signal is the Synth, not you Vocal. You vocal is not what is being effected… It is the the opposite, here, the synth sound is being effected by your Voice.

Don’t let that hurt you head, as we used to say in school… It’s the other way round here. And the more your Voice is filtered the better and more intelligible the result.

SHORT ANSWER: No.
REASON: Read that thread again

Hope that helps.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 25, 2013 @ 08:16 PM
mikebengel
Total Posts:  86
Joined  03-16-2013

Just thought I’d check, since a audio signal could be theoretically split to go through the vocoder and another audio channel or something.  Maybe it just would’nt work out sounding right.  Unless you were trying to sing the same exact pitch(note) you were playing the modulator(I mean vocoder synth) I keep mixing up modulator and carrier.  Can’t seam to remember which is which.  sorry. 

I also was using a layer where I played a piano sound with the vocoder synth preset being modulated by my voice.  Because I wasn’t talking into the mic but signing the ( piano/vocoderSYNTH ) pitch, I started to wonder how it would sound with my actual voice mixed in also.  Maybe If I hooked the mic up to a mixer and ran a split signal.  One to the Motif and another straight to the speakers.  I don’t have a small mixer yet that has a nice reverb.

Can you input 2 mic’s into the Motif?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 28, 2013 @ 03:43 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Can you input 2 mic’s into the Motif?

No, not really. Here’s why, yes, two microphones could be plugged in, nothing prevents you from doing this, but it is not a two channel input. Here’s what you need to know:

Its a single input that can be configured for a mono or a stereo source.
L Mono - mono source attached to the left jack (right input is set to off)
R Mono - mono source attached to the right jack (left input is set to off)
L+R Mono - stereo source summed to mono
Stereo - stereo source, pan is available

Both jacks go through the same treatment. The same GAIN control, the same routing… Both are routed to the same destination… Your goal was to have one dry and the other feed the vocoder, well, that routing scenario is NOT possible.

When you setup to use the Vocoder you must route the A/D Input to “INS L” - you don’t have a separate routing for one of the jacks independent of the other. Sorry.

I’ve seen two mics on stage… used for simultaneous effected and non-effected signals. If you are going to split the signal, please do so properly.

[ Ignore ]