mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "MOXf USB driver q"

Page 1 of 2
Posted on: November 21, 2013 @ 08:48 AM
pax_eterna
Total Posts:  209
Joined  11-03-2013

Is it possible to block the audio part of the USB driver and use it only for MIDI?

Or in other words is there a USB MIDI driver ONLY, that can be installed?

I am finding the audio side of the USB driver has way to much noise and static when the USB to PC connector is used - probs from the USB circuits (ergo the “standard” system noises pops and crackles when using USB for audio). It is a desktop PC not a laptop.

Set up is MOXf audio (l/mono) to mixer, USB to Host connected to PC. Even when no programs are being used the noise level is unacceptably high. I have confirmed it is the USB because if I remove the USB cable from the MOX the noise abates totally. The setting of the volume slider makes no difference. It is also not on a hub, but direct to a MOBO usb port.

I have a Presonus Firestudio for my PC audio i/f so I really only need Yamaha midi drivers for the mox, however when the cable is attached then the noise returns, so hence the request for a MIDI only driver.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 21, 2013 @ 09:54 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

You might want to consider a ground loop issue:
http://www.google.com/search?q=mox+ground+loop+site:www.motifator.com

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 21, 2013 @ 10:45 AM
pax_eterna
Joined  11-03-2013

thx 5pin - I do know about GL issues. Been using a laptop for music for years :-) where using a non-earthed DC power supply solves it.

But I have used other USB audio drivers without this amount of USB system “chatter”. So perhaps the driver needs some tweaking???

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 21, 2013 @ 11:05 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

There should be virtually no noise in the system. You have an issue that needs to be addressed…

If you only want to use the MIDI portion of the drive then simply do not select the YSFW as the ASIO driver. the MIDI portion is totally separate…

If you have not selected it, and are using a different audio driver, Then we are not sure why you are thinking it is the audio side of the YSFW driver making the noise. You should troubleshoot this before you conclude what you have concluded.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 21, 2013 @ 11:09 AM
pax_eterna
Joined  11-03-2013
Bad_Mister - 21 November 2013 11:05 AM

There should be virtually no noise in the system. You have an issue that needs to be addressed…

I agree, however using the exact same system with USB audio drivers from other makers (even Behringer) does not exhibit the same issue, which makes it kinda hard to not suspect it is the Yamaha driver n’est-ce pas?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 21, 2013 @ 11:52 AM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

Is the driver you mention even remotely similar to the YSFW driver? Why would you use that for a comparison?

Whatever.... :-|

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 21, 2013 @ 12:20 PM
pax_eterna
Joined  11-03-2013
Bad_Mister - 21 November 2013 11:52 AM

Is the driver you mention even remotely similar to the YSFW driver? Why would you use that for a comparison?

Of course it (Yamah USB Audio driver) is “remotely similar” - they are ALL audio drivers using the USB system - how much more similar do you want to get?

If a particular USB Audio driver works pretty much flawlessly on a system, but using a different driver (on exactly the same system) introduces “noise” and other PC chatter into the audio well then the different driver MUST be suspected as the culprit…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 21, 2013 @ 12:23 PM
pax_eterna
Joined  11-03-2013

By the way you keep quoting the YSFW driver - that is the firewire driver is it not?

I am talking about the YSUSB_v183 drivers

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 21, 2013 @ 12:26 PM
pax_eterna
Joined  11-03-2013
Bad_Mister - 21 November 2013 11:05 AM

.............If you only want to use the MIDI portion of the drive then simply do not select the YSFW as the ASIO driver. the MIDI portion is totally separate…

This makes no difference. The system noise is introduced even when NOT using the Yamaha USB audio driver whenever the USB cable is connected to the MOXf. Disconnect and the noise disappears.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 21, 2013 @ 12:27 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

Yes, that’s right, I’m sorry, you have a MOXF. The Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver in the case of the MOXF… it too is a dual driver, both MIDI and Audio.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 21, 2013 @ 12:28 PM
pax_eterna
Joined  11-03-2013

I will sort it out eventually, I usually do one way or the other.

Even if it means just going back to using traditional MIDI ports, however this does lose the advantage (big imo) of the extra port communication provided by the Yammie driver set up.

Thanks anyway.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 21, 2013 @ 12:29 PM
pax_eterna
Joined  11-03-2013
Bad_Mister - 21 November 2013 12:27 PM

Yes, that’s right, I’m sorry, you have a MOXF. The Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver in the case of the MOXF… it too is a dual driver, both MIDI and Audio.

:-) NP

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 21, 2013 @ 12:54 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
pax_eterna - 21 November 2013 12:28 PM

[...]Even if it means just going back to using traditional MIDI ports, however this does lose the advantage (big imo) of the extra port communication provided by the Yammie driver set up.

You’d consider using that dated optically-isolated current loop technology?… asked the guy calling himself 5pinDIN.  ;-)

I agree, the additional communication available via USB is advantageous. Getting it working glitch-free is worth the effort.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 21, 2013 @ 01:00 PM
pax_eterna
Joined  11-03-2013
5pinDIN - 21 November 2013 12:54 PM
pax_eterna - 21 November 2013 12:28 PM

[...]Even if it means just going back to using traditional MIDI ports, however this does lose the advantage (big imo) of the extra port communication provided by the Yammie driver set up.

You’d consider using that dated optically-isolated current loop technology?… asked the guy calling himself 5pinDIN.  ;-)

I agree, the additional communication available via USB is advantageous. Getting it working glitch-free is worth the effort.

ROTFL! Yeah I hear ya - for sure!!!

I might stick with it for a bit longer and see what I can sort. It is not usually recommended to run earth lifters on mains powered PC’s - and there is no guarantee it will work - but might be worth further investigation.

I already tried disabling EIST (Enhanced Intel Speedstep), with no joy.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 21, 2013 @ 01:06 PM
pax_eterna
Joined  11-03-2013

I wonder if maybe one of the older Yamaha USB midi only drivers may work? If one can still get them - I may have one saved on a backup file somewhere...although it would not be for Windows 8.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 30, 2013 @ 10:54 AM
pax_eterna
Joined  11-03-2013

UPDATE: I have found this device,

http://www.wickeddigital.com.au/firestone-audio-greenkey-usb-isolator

which may solve the issue. I will buy it and report back on how well it works.

[ Ignore ]  

Page 1 of 2

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Add To MOXF Performances
Next Topic:

MOXF8 and Behringer: TRUTH B1031A ››