mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "My last MOXF Audio/MIDI Interface question"

Page 1 of 2
Posted on: November 08, 2013 @ 04:17 PM
jerrydpi
Total Posts:  973
Joined  11-03-2012

TGIF guys!

I have a few questions on the MOXF.

1) How do you assign each Knob to control the volume of each Voice in a Performance?
I’m assuming they can also be assigned to control the volume of up to (8) Parts).

2) As a simple example, say a Performance has Drums on Part (1), a Bass on Part (2), an Electric Piano on Part (3) and a Brass Section on Part (4).

I know that the MOXF has a built in (4) Channel Audio/USB Interface.

So how can I send Stereo Drums, a Mono Bass, a Stereo EP and a Stereo Horn Section all at the same time to any DAW from the MOXF?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 08, 2013 @ 04:41 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

From http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/moxf_whats_new

• Press both KNOB CONTROL buttons together to create four side-by-side VOLUME and four side-by-side PAN controls for the PERFORMANCE Parts 1-4. Works for MIXING PARTS, in groups of fours: 1-4, 5-8, 9-12 and 13-16, depending on the currently selected TRACK 1-16.

That should answer at least part of what you asked.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 08, 2013 @ 04:50 PM
jerrydpi
Joined  11-03-2012

One down, one to go!

Thanks 5PD!

Jerry

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 08, 2013 @ 06:17 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

So how can I send Stereo Drums, a Mono Bass, a Stereo EP and a Stereo Horn Section all at the same time to any DAW from the MOXF?

Is that a trick question? A riddle perhaps?

You can’t. If you realize that the 4 Channels is two stereo pairs… And a stereo output equals a Left and a Right channel.

Stereo Drums = 2
Mono bass = 1
Stereo EP = 2
Stereo horns = 2

That would require 7 Channels by today’s math… If you mean to record them to separate audio tracks.

Unless you mean MIDI… But still its a trick question because MIDI is neither mono nor stereo.
What do you mean by the question?

Why would you need to record these all at the same time? and do you mean to separate audio tracks? you don’t really say. Which Parts are you going to process separately in your DAW?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 08, 2013 @ 06:26 PM
jerrydpi
Joined  11-03-2012

Hi Bad_Mister,

Me no tricky (especially to you)!

Let me simplify my request to a total of (5) Channels: Drums (two), Bass (one) and an EP (two).

I want to send the Audio of a MOXF Performance that has a Drum ARP and a Bass ARP, as well as my playing the EP (and Bass), all in one pass, to my DAW.

I can do that on the XF using the FW16E.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 08, 2013 @ 06:37 PM
jerrydpi
Joined  11-03-2012

PS

Unless you want me to use the MOXF Performance to trigger Addictive Drums and Trilian Bass (which I have no problem doing if it will allow me to reach my objective).

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 09, 2013 @ 08:05 AM
jerrydpi
Joined  11-03-2012
Bad_Mister - 08 November 2013 06:17 PM

Is that a trick question? A riddle perhaps?

You can’t. If you realize that the 4 Channels is two stereo pairs… And a stereo output equals a Left and a Right channel.

Stereo Drums = 2
Mono bass = 1
Stereo EP = 2
Stereo horns = 2

That would require 7 Channels by today’s math… If you mean to record them to separate audio tracks.

Unless you mean MIDI… But still its a trick question because MIDI is neither mono nor stereo.
What do you mean by the question?

Why would you need to record these all at the same time? and do you mean to separate audio tracks? you don’t really say. Which Parts are you going to process separately in your DAW?

Now you’ve got me thinking (Ouch!)

Let’s take it from a different angle.

I use the MOXF Sequencer to write a Song that uses (9) Internal Voices/Parts (4 Stereo and 1 Mono)

How do I get all those Audio Tracks, using the built in Interface, into my DAW at the same time?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 09, 2013 @ 11:40 AM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005
jerrydpi - 08 November 2013 06:26 PM

I want to send the Audio of a MOXF Performance that has a Drum ARP and a Bass ARP, as well as my playing the EP (and Bass), all in one pass, to my DAW.

I can do that on the XF using the FW16E.

The FW16e can send 16 channels of audio over FW, a lot more than the 4 channels the MOXF can over USB. No free lunch, Jerry…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 09, 2013 @ 06:29 PM
jerrydpi
Joined  11-03-2012

S**T!!!

Please forgive my ignorance, but give me a specific example of how anyone could record to a DAW with that limitation.

Once you advise me on how to do so, let’s go back to my simple example:

I want Stereo Drums on Track One, a Mono Bass on Track Two, a Stereo EP on Track Three and a Stereo Horn Section on Track Four.

The above example would be done using MOXF Voices for every track.

If my above needs can’t be accomplished by the (4) Channels on the MOXF, would it make any difference if I substituted Addictive Drums for the MOXF Drums and Trilian Bass for the MOXF Bass?

If so, then the only MOXF Voices I would need would be the EP and the Horn Section for a total of (4) Channels.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 09, 2013 @ 07:23 PM
philwoodmusic
Total Posts:  1055
Joined  07-01-2013

If you wanted to get more tracks than you can actually record simultaneously into your DAW, would it not be possible for you to record each voice in your performance separately by (for example) having only voice 1 turned up or enabled whilst you play your music into your DAW and the rest muted/turned down or turned off and then doing the same with voice 2 and so on.

Each time you just make sure the voice you want to record is the only audible thing in your performance and the rest off, then move on to the next and do the same.

So you make a new track in your DAW each time you record a component voice and be sure to record your bass in mono to a mono track (if that’s what you want)

You could also do them two at a time if you know how you can route a voice to 1 and 2 and then another to 3 and 4

Again not as quick as everything simultaneously but quicker than my one by one stereo suggestion.

4 out is not really a big deal as a limitation, but tape and razor blades used to be a drag!

I’m sure it will take more time than simultaneously recording all of it (which you cannot do anyway) but the end result will be the same in that you will have all the component voices of your performance recorded in your DAW separately...and be able to mix them separately once you’ve done so.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 09, 2013 @ 07:33 PM
jerrydpi
Joined  11-03-2012

I had thought of that, but if I have a Performance that has a Drum ARP, a Bass ARP and a Guitar ARP, will all three ARPs line up correctly/in perfect time if I record one Part at a time?

The lining up fear came from my initial thought of recording the Drums and Bass Guitar simultaneously (both with their respective ARPs) first (a total of 3 Channels) and then recording the Guitar w/ARP next.

As stated above, I wasn’t sure if I tried this method if the ARPs would line up correctly.

Thanks!

Jerry

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 09, 2013 @ 07:51 PM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013

Even if you had to make a small edit in the audio to drag something back in time it ought to be very easy.

Ideally, if you can find a way of getting your DAW to make your MOXF play at the same time the DAW kicks into record, you should be all good and all in sync.

That’s where I’m not too sure if a DAW can control your MOXF in that manner, but one of the great heads in this forum should surely know.

I regularly use midi data in the DAW to play sounds from the keyboard back in to the DAW itself and record it on separate audio tracks, but your notes are actually in the MOXF itself by the sounds of it and so perfect sync is more complicated when working non simultaneously or in blocks of tracks.

If it were possible to export your whole performance as midi data (midi file), you could import that into your DAW and let the DAW trigger the sounds in your MOXF perfectly in time and you’d be in sync no matter what. 

I am not clear if that is possible at all or if it would change your music or sound different in any way but I bet one of the legends will know.  The notes would be right and you’d be in time at least.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 09, 2013 @ 08:09 PM
jerrydpi
Joined  11-03-2012

But would the (4) Channels at one time “limitation” come into play if I were recording Addictive Drums and Trilian Bass (that way I would not be using any MOXF Voices)?

If so, wouldn’t that leave me with a “reserve” of (4) Channels that I could still use from the Performance (Stereo Drums and Stereo Horns)?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 09, 2013 @ 08:20 PM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013

The limitation only exists whilst recording and not during DAW playback

No matter how many tracks you end up with recorded on your DAW, you only hear a stereo mix of them all.

You can only record two stereo pairs in one pass, but once they are recorded you can go back and keep doing it again with different sounds on new tracks until you max out your computer and DAW. (with as many tracks as it can handle)

In the end your DAW could be playing back literally loads of tracks of various sounds from your MOXF

You could record and rerecord as many times as you like with whatever additional virtual instrument plug ins you like as well… until you max your computer and DAW out.

As I see it, your only issue is sync which I’m not to sure about because the notes reside in your MOXF or that’s how I read your post.

Edit…

Having read back through the thread I am not sure if your notes or musical performance resides onboard your moxf as a sequence or something or you are planning on playing them live apart from the arps that you just need to start in time (and are therefore worried about sync)

In any case I would certainly aim to get your musical performance into midi data and let your DAW send that to the MOXF and record it back.

There should be no sync issues that way, arps or not.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 09, 2013 @ 08:42 PM
jerrydpi
Joined  11-03-2012

Phil,

So the (4) Channel (in whatever combination) total is regardless of whether those (4) Channels come from Internal Voices or Software Tracks on the DAW (Logic Pro X in my case)?

Thanks!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 09, 2013 @ 09:04 PM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013

No…

it’s not that you can only EVER record 4 channels (or two stereo channels) and have to substitute VSTI tracks to make up the difference, not at all.

it is just specific to your MOXF but logic will let you record another 4 (or 2 x stereo) from your MOXF at another time (like AFTER you’ve done the first lot, and on and on)

Logic can play back lots and lots of tracks be they audio, midi or instrument tracks for your Trillian Bass and whatever else you love to use.

If you are using your MOXF as the interface to record into Logic… it can only record, in one pass, from your MOXF at any time, up to the max number of channels your interface actually supports, in your case (as BM said) 2 x stereo channels (or the 4 mono channels)

Your use of Trillian and other VSTIs (or any other tracks you may have) is independent of that.

You are not limited in how many times you can record in twos from your MOXF and you may set up trillian and other VSTi’s as well, regardless of that.

A very simple analogy would be like Noahs Ark where animals went in twos

Stereo sounds from your MOXF can only be transferred using the MOXF interface in twos, but you could easily end up with a boat full of animals if you keep doing it!

That’s a bit corny but hey...I don’t care.

[ Ignore ]  

Page 1 of 2

Previous Topic:

‹‹ loading a performance from USB
Next Topic:

file compatibility, 3rd party libraries ››