mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "loading a performance from USB"

Posted on: November 08, 2013 @ 11:46 AM
pax_eterna
Total Posts:  209
Joined  11-03-2013

I have a question re loading an individual performance from USB.

As we are limited in having just the two User Perf banks, if I edit performances to suit a particular tune, rather than over-write a factory user slot, is it possible to 1.Save that edited perf to a USB drive, and 2. load it at any time later - for example at a gig?

I read the User guide on this, but it is not really clear on this, apart from simply saving an ALL file, if I read it correctly.

Thanks

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 08, 2013 @ 01:32 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

You can’t save individual Performances in a format that can be directly loaded to the MOXF via USB. However, you could start by making a backup All file. Then you could create new Performances, store them to whichever User locations you want, and then save another All file. Since you can Load an individual Performance from a USB drive, you can load any of them whenever you want. Of course, each would have to be loaded to one of the User locations.

There is a way to save an edited individual Performance without overwriting a location, but it can’t be directly saved to a USB drive or loaded from one. See page 71 of the MOXF Reference Manual, [F4] BULK (Bulk Dump). Following the procedure will allow you to do a SysEx Bulk Dump of the Performance that’s in the Edit Buffer. The drawback is that you’ll need to capture the data via a computer running a SysEx utility (or with a MIDI data recorder), and need a similar device to send the data back to the MOXF. The received data goes into the Edit Buffer, so it doesn’t overwrite a User location. Naturally, you could then select a User location and store it there.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 08, 2013 @ 01:44 PM
pax_eterna
Joined  11-03-2013

hmmm...thx 5pin - that sysex method has potential I think. Using my chart reader app (unRealBook) I can link a short “burst” midi file to the chart.

What this means is that as long as it is a single bar and the data starts on tick 1, UB via the iPad connector transmits the midi. It works for standard MIDI CC’s as well as Sysex. Another bonus is UB also allows me to link a MP3 backing track, so in effect when I load a chart, it not only sets up the keyboard for the song, but also plays the audio backing track - oh and it doubels as the chart-reader ;-)

Back OT though - to make sure I get what you are saying, if I do the bulk dump of sysex capture it, save it to a midi file, then when loaded it should setup the moxf with the perf data....yes?

If so, the only question is do you know how much sysex is created, say as a rule of thumb? If too much I am not sure it would work all that well.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 08, 2013 @ 01:48 PM
pax_eterna
Joined  11-03-2013

As for the ALL method, I can see how that would work too - if I made an ALL file for the factory data - then I could overwrite all the slots if I wanted to, but if I needed to grab a factory template (to start fresh so to speak) I can simply load it in from that ALL file…

Hmmm...yes there are possibilities here :-)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 08, 2013 @ 02:05 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
pax_eterna - 08 November 2013 01:44 PM

[...]Back OT though - to make sure I get what you are saying, if I do the bulk dump of sysex capture it, save it to a midi file, then when loaded it should setup the moxf with the perf data....yes?

Yes, the Performance will be there as if you had selected it from the front panel of the MOXF. Of course, you’d need to store it if you wanted to select another Performance, etc., or you’d have to resend the data.

pax_eterna -

If so, the only question is do you know how much sysex is created, say as a rule of thumb? If too much I am not sure it would work all that well.

It’s not a small dump. It’s actually a whole series of SysEx messages - with an XF, it totals 1,067 bytes.

You could easily play around with this using MIDI-OX or the like.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 08, 2013 @ 02:12 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

A Performance is just over 1KB of data (1093 Bytes)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 08, 2013 @ 02:14 PM
pax_eterna
Joined  11-03-2013

Okay cool..I think that would be too much..it’s a pity the iPad Perf app is a live only tool, well going on the cursory (VERY) play around with it I had..if it could store it’s own set of data on the iPAd, that could have possibilities too.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 08, 2013 @ 02:46 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

You might not want this in particular, but it looks interesting:
http://idesignsound.com/irig-midi-recorder-universal-new/

Another, but the reviews don’t look too good:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/midi-memo-recorder/id356473186?mt=8

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 08, 2013 @ 03:02 PM
pax_eterna
Joined  11-03-2013

thx 5pin - but I generally use MIDI-Ox for most of this sort of stuff :-) but I will check it out nonetheless!

EDIT: yes I know it now, I actually had the original version when I used the IK midi interface. Didn’t like it much. In any case I would be doing all of this work pre-gig as it were. As a solo, it is hard enough singing, chatting to the crowd and keeping them dancing to be worried about “on-the-fly” editing. Which is okay to do (even fun) if one is in band and only playing keys.

@BM - appreciate the info on size BM - I will experiment with it..I am not too sure on how slow/quick the iPAD midi tx is via the connector, but I have time to play around with it, so why not :-)

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Motifator shop and MOXF Q
Next Topic:

My last MOXF Audio/MIDI Interface question ››