mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "frozen MOXF"

Page 1 of 3
Posted on: November 08, 2013 @ 03:56 AM
Wolfgang T.
Total Posts:  74
Joined  11-07-2013

Has somebody experience with a frozen Motif or MOXF..?

It is happen already twice time to me that my MOXF was frozen during playing a Piano voice from the flash port. Nothing was going any more...!

The only thing what I was able to do was to switch off and again switch on the MOXF...!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 08, 2013 @ 05:01 AM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005

I assume you mean you were playing back a MIDI file?  Probably some MIDI data in the file that the MOXF didn’t like. You’d need to open the file in a sequencer and see what MIDI msgs are actually present.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 08, 2013 @ 05:07 AM
Wolfgang T.
Joined  11-07-2013

I was not playing MIDI files… - I played just with my hands on keyboard in the voice mode…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 08, 2013 @ 05:20 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
Wolfgang T. - 08 November 2013 05:07 AM

I was not playing MIDI files… - I played just with my hands on keyboard in the voice mode…

It might help us better understand if you would explain ”playing a Piano voice from the flash port” in more detail. There is no “flash port”, there is optional flash memory (a module installed inside the MOXF), and there is a USB port that could have a flash drive attached.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 08, 2013 @ 05:33 AM
Wolfgang T.
Joined  11-07-2013

OK.., I played Piano voices ("S700" and “CP1") from my optional flash memory (mutec fmc-06)…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 08, 2013 @ 06:10 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
Wolfgang T. - 08 November 2013 05:33 AM

OK.., I played Piano voices ("S700" and “CP1") from my optional flash memory (mutec fmc-06)…

The Mutec FMC-06 is sold as being equivalent to the Yamaha FL1024M. Perhaps it isn’t quite meeting the Yamaha specs. Or perhaps you don’t have it properly installed - it’s very important that the Yamaha instructions are followed so that all the pins of the connector make good contact. See especially step 4-2 of the procedure on page 72 of the MOXF Owner’s Manual.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 08, 2013 @ 06:12 AM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005

I’d try reseating the flash board.

Bad Mister will probably come along and mention how Yamaha doesn’t support third party flash boards (sigh)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 08, 2013 @ 06:17 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Not to be predictable, but I’m just saying…
:-)

Make sure you’re MOXF is using operating system 1.03
I’ve yet to hear of any issues with the Yamaha FL512M/FL1024M. At some point you do have to ask was it worth the $$$ you saved getting a less expensive alternate board.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 08, 2013 @ 06:33 AM
Wolfgang T.
Joined  11-07-2013

1. The Mutec flash board is proved by Yamaha Germany
2. I m using the operating system 1.03
3. I have installed the flash board according the instructions

Anyhow I will observe this in the next time and hope it will not raise again..

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 08, 2013 @ 09:16 AM
pax_eterna
Total Posts:  209
Joined  11-03-2013

TBH, I don’t know why folks bother using 3rd party - certainly from an Australian P.O.V. anyway.

If I bought one of those Mutec cards (and including shipping) I would save about $28 on the deal I can do for a genuine FL board - not worth it imo to go for the “knock-off”.

Maybe different in Europe though?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 08, 2013 @ 12:53 PM
Wolfgang T.
Joined  11-07-2013

One big musik shop in Europe told me that there is no different between Yamaha and Mutec and that we can trust in the Quality of this Company.

Also in this Forum is written about the Company Mutec quit good.

Therefore out of saving around USD 150,- I bought the Flash board from Mutec here in Europe.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 08, 2013 @ 01:50 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

Nothing you’ve told us ensures that the FMC-06 that you have is working correctly and that it’s installed properly. If the freezing problem recurs, I would suggest that you remove and reinstall the module, making sure to firmly press down on it as shown in the manual. If there’s still a problem after doing that, and assuming nobody else reports freezing, you might want to see if you can get the module replaced.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 10, 2013 @ 11:40 PM
Wolfgang T.
Joined  11-07-2013

After having done a factory reset of the MOXF, formated the flash board and loaded all samples new in the flash board, the MOXF is working perfectly.

Thank you all for your inputs and advices!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 13, 2013 @ 06:22 AM
GospelMusicians
Total Posts:  336
Joined  08-26-2010

Perhaps I have a bad unit, but I’m experiencing freezing, it seems, every 30-minutes and it is consistent. I have the newest 1.03 and my RAM is Yamaha approved RAM.

I will try, yet, another factory reset, but I’m experiencing consistent freezes. The audio drops out and the MIDI drops out and none of the on screen functions are available.

See video: http://youtu.be/qX4savd31jo

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 13, 2013 @ 06:47 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
GospelMusicians - 13 November 2013 06:22 AM

Perhaps I have a bad unit, but I’m experiencing freezing, it seems, every 30-minutes and it is consistent. I have the newest 1.03 and my RAM is Yamaha approved RAM.

I will try, yet, another factory reset, but I’m experiencing consistent freezes. The audio drops out and the MIDI drops out and none of the on screen functions are available.

By “Yamaha approved RAM”, do you mean a Yamaha FL512M or FL1024M? (I’m asking because according to Wolfgang T., “The Mutec flash board is proved by Yamaha Germany”.)

Can you determine what sequence of events leads to the freezing? Are you playing internal sounds, or are they ones using samples from the flash module? Do you have the MOXF connected via MIDI (5-pin-DIN or USB), and is it being used at the time of the freeze?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 13, 2013 @ 06:48 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Frozen on the MIDI screen indicates that you might be frozen due to incoming data. Rather than pushing random buttons as the person in the video is doing, unplug the MIDI cable.... Break the stream of data (could be a clock issue, a data dump issue, or a corrupted block of data).

In cases where System Exclusive, or bulk data is interrupted coming in, most people press too many buttons in a panic (as seen), give it one command, wait. No response, disconnect the source, wait. You wait to see if it will recover. If not, then naturally reset your unit. Document what you were attempting so that if it occurs again you have a record.

If no MIDI cable is connected, make sure your instrument is not set to power down after 30 minutes… Disable Auto power off… If still set to the default 30 minutes this could be the reason.

Other known reasons for synths to freeze:
_ a connected computer that enters Sleep or Hibernation even if you were not using it right then;
_ the EDIT/COMPARE button is flashing, while it flashes (Compare mode) the front panel will appear to be frozen. A letter “C” will appear in the screen, upper right corner indicating that you are in compare mode (the front panel buttons will not work, no matter how much you press them, other than the [EDIT/COMPARE] button). Unfortunately the camera doesn’t show that button.

Any device can freeze, to report a problem indicate what you were doing at the time. Without that information, it’s really just an occurrence.

Hope that helps.

[ Ignore ]  

Page 1 of 3

Previous Topic:

‹‹ MOXF8 demo songs question
Next Topic:

Motifator shop and MOXF Q ››