mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "MOXF flash question"

Posted on: November 06, 2013 @ 08:00 AM
amberman3
Total Posts:  5
Joined  05-01-2004

I know this question has been addressed in the Motif XF forums and I am digging around for some help, so any pointers in the right direction would be appreciated.

I am a weekender and have used XS and older Motifs.  For playing live, I use a bank of voices and an bank of performances that I have edited. 

I purchased the MOXF8 and have a 1G flash card which I have formatted according to instructions. 

My question is this:  when I load waveforms/voices such as CP1 piano and Insp in a flash, I understand that waveforms go to flash and the voice data will go into user banks.  In the case of the inspiration in a flash I read where it will load 3 banks of voice data and overwrite anything you have, thus, the warning to save all of your data.  Is there a “safe haven” I can put my measly voice/performance banks that won’t get overwritten every time I load new data?  Likewise, what happens to the Insp in a flash data when I load in the CP1? 

If there is an in depth tutorial on memory management, please point me to it.  I assume much of the stuff for the XF applies here.

Thank you

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 06, 2013 @ 10:06 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

You have all the correct information but not a sense of how it will impact you in actual use. I will attempt to fill in that gap.

The Voice data when loaded occupies the USER banks of the MOXF. If the Voice requires a non-Preset Waveform, the Load process places the Voice data in a User bank location and catalogs a bit of information as to where to locate the audio… Which is installed onto the Flash Board. Each bit of audio occupies a slot…

To understand this, it is a dynamic process, in other words, while the Voice data goes to a specific target location, for example, USER 1:001(A01), but the load process will direct the audio data to the lowest numbered empty Waveform location on your 1GB Flash Board, 0001~2048.

Waveform data is never overwritten - if a slot is occupied the data will occupy the next empty slot. This is why after loading your data you must make a back up.

Libraries like INSPIRATION give you more data than you will use, so at first load it all… Play with it, figure out which data you want to keep. Ultimately you will not want to keep all 384 Voices, which means you will not need to keep all 460+ Megabtyes of data on your Flash Board.

Selecting which Voices you wish to keep is an important thing to do. Wasting Waveform memory on your Flash board is to be avoided… All 384 USER VOICES in the MOXF should be Voices you hand picked, and only Waveforms that are used by your hand picked Voices should occupy space on your Flash Board.

Make sense?
So at some point you will either format the board and install just the “keeper” data, or you will go back through the data Deleting the Waveforms (and then overwriting the Voice location) as you go.

The other thing you need to know is the Load TYPE determines whether or not you overwrite internal Voices and Performances.

A Load TYPE = ALL - is literal, it loads and replaces all User Voices and Performances.
A Load TYPE = VOICE - on the other hand, let’s you select an individual Voice and target an individual User location.
A Load TYPE = 1BANK VOICE - lets you load a bank of 128 Voices - overwriting just a single bank of 128.
Etc.

So to avoid overwriting data already loaded you need only select the proper file Load TYPE to handle the job. Loading a single Voice can be done with the Waveform or without as you may require. This may seem strange at first, but there are times when you need to restore the Wavegorm data, and other times when it is not necessary (because the data may have been previously loaded).

The MOXF will be able to indicate when a Waveform is not being used by the current set of User Voices (we call the set of programs currently in your MOXF as the current Library). You can remove (DELETE) unused Waveforms which will give you back valuable memory on your Flash Board.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 07, 2013 @ 07:25 AM
amberman3
Total Posts:  5
Joined  05-01-2004

Thank you for your reply Bad_Mister.  I wish you were writing the manuals for Yamaha! 

I have a better understanding thanks to your help and have been loading some banks.  I still have some questions about deleting voice data and associated samples and will get back with you after I have explored on my own a bit more.  It’s good to know that if I totally get screwed up, I can reformat the card and start all over! 

Thanks again!

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ MOXF Audio Demos
Next Topic:

SOLVED: iPad Perf Editor not working with Griffin MidiConnect? ››