mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Select a Master via MIDI?"

Page 2 of 3
Posted on: November 25, 2013 @ 05:50 AM
DoubleM
Total Posts:  36
Joined  01-19-2011
MeMyselfAndI64 - 25 November 2013 05:18 AM

I would say NO but Bad_Mister may have other things to say.:)

I use an line 6 foot switch to send program change to my MOFX.
If I am in Master Mode (Memory=Song) and Send program change it change the voice not the Master.

Thanks for your reply.

I guess this shouldn´t happen, if you disable “receive program change” in the song mixing.

Still hope Bad Mister has better news for me, since the display of the MOXF isn´t exactly what I was looking for, at least for a live masterkeyboard...but I still love the weight!!!;-)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 25, 2013 @ 05:50 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
DoubleM - 25 November 2013 04:50 AM

Starting with Master Mode manually selected: Is it possible to select Masters on the MOXF with simple program change messages, not using sysex?

From the MOXF Data List ”The Master number and the Performance/Song/Pattern/Voice mode can be changed only via the Parameter Change”. So Program Change messages won’t accomplish what you want.

EDIT: I must be slowing down.  :-)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 25, 2013 @ 06:08 AM
DoubleM
Joined  01-19-2011

Hi Phil,

I was answering the previous post when you´d answer my question…

Sorry to hear that.

Organizing my masters on the XF turned out to be a bit complicated, when our setlist was changed “on the fly” (lets say by a call from the lead singer). It´s hard to find a master on the Yamaha display while playing with both hands and with some bad light on stage. My plan was to use my Kronos (in Setlist mode with a much better display to find spedific songs) for choosing the right song setup, send a pc-message to the MOXF, that has to send a pc-message to my voice live. I need to control the voice live via MOXF, since my harmony vocals are controlled by the midi notes from the MOXF that delivers harmony information.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 25, 2013 @ 07:14 AM
anotherscott
Total Posts:  653
Joined  06-30-2010

I think the answer may be to have the Kronos send a Program Change to the TC Helicon directly. With a MIDI Merge device, you could have the TC Helicon receiving Program Change from the Kronos while receiving note info from the Yamaha. If you need the Kronos to simultaneously change the sound on the Yamaha itself, that could be done if the Yamaha were in some other mode (i.e. Performance), though then you also need to split the MIDI Out of the Kronos to the two devices (i.e. you need a Thru function). As long as you pay attention to what MIDI channels are doing what, you should be able to have the Kronos send a Program Change to the Yamaha, while sending another Program Change to the Helicon, while also not having its keys directed to either external device; and the Helicon should be able to only respond to the keys of the Yamaha. I think the iconnectmidi2+ device might be able to handle all this for you… it’s a 2-in 2-out MIDI interface with programmable merge and thru functions, among other things.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 25, 2013 @ 07:54 AM
DoubleM
Joined  01-19-2011
anotherscott - 25 November 2013 07:14 AM

I think the answer may be to have the Kronos send a Program Change to the TC Helicon directly. With a MIDI Merge device, you could have the TC Helicon receiving Program Change from the Kronos while receiving note info from the Yamaha. If you need the Kronos to simultaneously change the sound on the Yamaha itself, that could be done if the Yamaha were in some other mode (i.e. Performance), though then you also need to split the MIDI Out of the Kronos to the two devices (i.e. you need a Thru function). As long as you pay attention to what MIDI channels are doing what, you should be able to have the Kronos send a Program Change to the Yamaha, while sending another Program Change to the Helicon, while also not having its keys directed to either external device; and the Helicon should be able to only respond to the keys of the Yamaha. I think the iconnectmidi2+ device might be able to handle all this for you… it’s a 2-in 2-out MIDI interface with programmable merge and thru functions, among other things.

The problem isn´t sending a Program Change from the Kronos to the TC Helicon, but having the MOXF beeing set to midi channel 1 for internal sounds and sending on (for example) midi channel 15 to control the vocal harmonies. This can only be done in master mode with multiple zones, because all voices in performance mode are on the same midi channel. Dunno if the device you mentioned might do the job as expected.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 25, 2013 @ 08:08 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

...having the MOXF beeing set to midi channel 1 for internal sounds and sending on (for example) midi channel 15 to control the vocal harmonies.

I’m not at all sure what it is you really need but you can be in VOICE mode playing an internal MOXF sound while transmitting on MIDI channel 15, that easy. You can be in PERFORMANCE mode playing an internal MOXF Performance while transmitting on MIDI channel 15, that also is easy.

From the main VOICE or PERFORMANCE screen,
Press [TRACK] to light the track button. The buttons [1]-16] become MIDI Transmit Channel buttons.
Press [15] to set the MIDI Transmit channel to 15

You can still play the internal Voice and transmit on MIDI channel 15.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 25, 2013 @ 08:57 AM
anotherscott
Joined  06-30-2010

Yes, the magic Track button can help a lot! While the first thing that comes to your mind might be “Controlling external devices? Use Master mode,” that button allows you to integrate external devices into the other modes (albeit without all the facilities of Master mode). I didn’t realize that at first either, and it’s of great use.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 25, 2013 @ 09:51 AM
DoubleM
Joined  01-19-2011
Bad_Mister - 25 November 2013 08:08 AM

...having the MOXF beeing set to midi channel 1 for internal sounds and sending on (for example) midi channel 15 to control the vocal harmonies.

I’m not at all sure what it is you really need but you can be in VOICE mode playing an internal MOXF sound while transmitting on MIDI channel 15, that easy. You can be in PERFORMANCE mode playing an internal MOXF Performance while transmitting on MIDI channel 15, that also is easy.

From the main VOICE or PERFORMANCE screen,
Press [TRACK] to light the track button. The buttons [1]-16] become MIDI Transmit Channel buttons.
Press [15] to set the MIDI Transmit channel to 15

You can still play the internal Voice and transmit on MIDI channel 15.

But this would require pressing an additional button on the MOXF, although it all should happen by selecting one master. Also, I ´m working with hybrid performances for most of our songs so that voice mode or performance mode do not fit my requirements on the MOXF8.

In order to clarify it, I will not stir up another competitive discussion “Motif vs. Kronos”. For me, the combination of these two boards is simply “Best of both worlds”.

Here is what I really need and how I´d like to work live:

Kronos: Provides Hammonds, strings and sampled horns, global midi channel 2. Seated on top of my rig, it´s desired to control the entire setup through Setlist mode (better and bigger screen in clear letters).

MOXF8: Pianos, Rhodes and several layers/splits, global midi channel 1, usually in master mode with song-/pattern-mixings. Sending - in one zone over the entire keyboard - on midi channel 15 with no associated voices, and selecting a preset with a PC-message on the TC Helicon .

TC Helicon VoiceLive: Receives PC messages on midi channel 15, pitch of harmonies controlled by MOXF by the zone set on channel 15.

The problem simply always has been that - when changing the setlist “on-the-fly” - with a lead singer´s shout, what song will be played next, you always got to have in mind this song´s Master memory location on the Yamaha Master. The lead singer unfortenatly doesn´t scream “A-15”, but the song´s title “XY”. While playing the last song you torture your brain/memory what´s the next Master. That´s not relaxing at all…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 25, 2013 @ 10:00 AM
MeMyselfAndI64
Total Posts:  201
Joined  11-12-2013
DoubleM - 25 November 2013 09:51 AM

with a lead singer´s shout, what song will be played next, you always got to have in mind this song´s Master memory location on the Yamaha Master. The lead singer unfortenatly doesn´t scream “A-15”, but the song´s title “XY”. While playing the last song you torture your brain/memory what´s the next Master. That´s not relaxing at all…

That,s what set list are for....:) sorry just teasing!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 25, 2013 @ 11:29 AM
anotherscott
Joined  06-30-2010

DoubleM, I think your best solution might be to use an iPad, iPhone, or iPod Touch to manage your patch selection. The “Set List Maker” app will let you create song lists, similar to what you’re doing with Korg’s Set List mode, but it has more functionality. You can tap a song/preset on the screen and have it send out multiple MIDI commands, including sysex. So you can locate the song by name, tap it, and have it send out MIDI commands to every attached device, whether Program Changes or sysex.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 25, 2013 @ 02:23 PM
pax_eterna
Total Posts:  209
Joined  11-03-2013

Only trouble is Set List Organizer ONLY runs in landscape :mad:

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 25, 2013 @ 03:15 PM
stoneb3
Total Posts:  851
Joined  06-05-2011

“Set List Maker” as mentioned by anotherscott works in landscape or portrait.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 25, 2013 @ 03:28 PM
pax_eterna
Total Posts:  209
Joined  11-03-2013
stoneb3 - 25 November 2013 03:15 PM

“Set List Maker” as mentioned by anotherscott works in landscape or portrait.

Yes correct - sorry, I just assumed he meant the Yamaha app (I keep confusing the names!)

So yes Set List Maker does run in portrait, but the Yamaha app does not.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 25, 2013 @ 03:29 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

The problem simply always has been that - when changing the setlist “on-the-fly” - with a lead singer´s shout, what song will be played next, you always got to have in mind this song´s Master memory location on the Yamaha Master. The lead singer unfortenatly doesn´t scream “A-15”, but the song´s title “XY”. While playing the last song you torture your brain/memory what´s the next Master. That´s not relaxing at all…

There is really nothing that is going to be a perfect solution when the singer is just going to shout out a title… Although I did hear plans of a new feature that would automatically track the scattered brain of any singer within 5 and 1/2 feet. It will anticipate the next song in advance. It would then load that and the second most likely to be called into a waiting ‘buffer’. Then all you need do is wink your left eye for title one or your right eye for title two…
:-)

What a lot of bands do in your situation (seriously now) is number each song… In horn bands with tons of charts every song has a number, so even when the title is called the chart master calls out the number.

Number 63 could be Master 63
They wouldn’t call out “A15”, just “15”.

Make sure as a band, you bill extra for bring ready “on the fly”. Organize. Your audiences will appreciate it.
Also… Never start before everyone is ready, (duh, I know… ) the audience quickly forgives a long pause if when you start you sound organized. The pause becomes a non issue, completely.

Learn to observe audiences. Especially when you are a member of the audience. Watch how other bands handle the time between songs, and see what works and what doesn’t. You’d be amazed at how rushing is as bad as too long a pause.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 25, 2013 @ 03:38 PM
stoneb3
Total Posts:  851
Joined  06-05-2011

Totally forgot this and I used to do it. Simple. It’s funny how all the apps and what not make it more work at times. I still like the Set List Maker though. It is pretty easy.

[ Ignore ]  

Page 2 of 3

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Is wireless possible in future updates?
Next Topic:

Motif XF Ending arps? ››