mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "New to MX - is there an easy way for MX buttons to function via MIDI?"

Posted on: November 01, 2013 @ 06:16 PM
Farmogoyf
Total Posts:  14
Joined  01-14-2012

Just like the title says, just picked up an MX, hooked it up via MIDI to an 88 key controller. I have the MX sitting on top of the two boards, is there an easy way to have things like split, layer, transpose and octave buttons effect the controller as well as the MX? So, I am playing along and feel like layering a new set of sounds with transpose +2… I can do that in 3 clicks on the MX alone (hit the layer key, and the transpose key twice), is it that simple to have the controller also play the transposed layered sounds?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 02, 2013 @ 02:25 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Sorry, I’m not understanding what you are envisioning.

The controller controls, it cannot be controlled by the MX, in your setup. The 88 key controller (unnamed) probably has a manual which is totally geared toward what it can do to control external devices. Without knowing what it is we can’t really say…

When you layer two sounds on the MX this is handled internally on the MX

Does your controller transmit on multiple MIDI channels simultaneously?
Does your controller set up to do splits?

Typically, what you accomplished on the MX front panel, works for the MX keys as the controller, whether or not this is available via MIDI from your external controller, will totally depend on its capabilities.

Hope that helps.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 04, 2013 @ 01:16 PM
BillM
Total Posts:  20
Joined  03-26-2011

Bad Mister,

I have a related question. Am I correct in assuming that, even with my MX set to layer two sounds (two pianos, for example, to cut through the volume of my band when playing live), if my controller can’t send midi 1 and 2 simultaneously, I won’t get both layers when playing the controller? That certainly seems to be the case. Thanks.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 05, 2013 @ 12:03 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

have a related question. Am I correct in assuming that, even with my MX set to layer two sounds (two pianos, for example, to cut through the volume of my band when playing live), if my controller can’t send midi 1 and 2 simultaneously, I won’t get both layers when playing the controller? That certainly seems to be the case.

That is the case, the SPLIT and LAYER functions are functions of the MX (not your external controller) to create a LAYER from your external controller set it to transmit on two MIDI channels. The MX is always set to receive on 16 MIDI Channels simultaneously. If you want to play two sounds transmit on those two corresponding MIDI channels.

{I should mention that you can change the MIDI channels of the MX parts, but only with the VYCRO MX PERFORMANCE EDITOR. Otherwise, PART 1 is CH1, PART 2 is CH2, PART 3 is CH3 and so on.

Do not layer two pianos to “cut through the volume of [our] band” - that is not a good use of layering to pianos. Try EQ’ing the channel. By layering two pianos you increase your volume slightly is all, and you cut your polyphony in half, not increase your ability to be heard through the band.

Seek a better solution to your issue, Brighter will cut through. If anything layering the same voice twice has somewhat the opposite effect.

EQ is what you need, and you have to EQ by ear, because you need to cut through the frequencies presented by YOUR band, which can only be done by hearing what your band sounds like. Speaker placement (your speaker system placement) has more to do with cutting through your band than halving your polyphony (as you have been doing).

What are you using as a sound system for your MX?
Where are they placed?
Can you aim them properly? - this will have more affect on cutting through, than layering sounds, trust me.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Video Help for Cubase AI6 and Yamaha MX49
Next Topic:

Any User performances out there? ››