mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Mox for studio use"

Posted on: October 16, 2013 @ 08:37 AM
bbaasszz
Total Posts:  49
Joined  01-13-2013

Hi all,
Please forgive my ignorance, but here I have some questions regarding my mox and my studio. Hope can find some help here.

I’m planning to sell my Motu 4pre to get rid of some redundant gears(if it is), and it seems like I can use the mox to serve as the core of my studio for composing/arranging and vocal recording (maybe some guitars occasionally). The questions are as following:

1. My personally ideal connection is like this:

NT2a> mic-pre with phantom power> mox(also to PC)> studio monitors(around $400 per pair)
(mic-pre for example: https://www.presonus.com/products/tubepre-v2 )

I’m kinda wonder if the AD/DA on the mox is “enough” for some rough mixing? And if I connect them this way the recording quality should be the function of [mic,mic-pre,AD/DA on mox], isn’t it?

2. And I remember seeing somewhere in the forum that the mox’s AD/DA is 24-bit, isn’t it?

3. I also noticed that the cables are all unbalanced (unbalanced between mic-pre and mox, unbalanced between mox and monitors). Does that make differences if I do not run long cables?

4. If my mox goes bad someday, do I have to send the whole keyboard back to the dealer to get it repaired?

One of the reasons to use the mox for recording is that I really hope to apply the VCM effects on my recordings..  Adding VCM compression is enticing for me.

Thank you for reading this thread.

Best regards,
Sebastian

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 16, 2013 @ 05:31 PM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005
bbaasszz - 16 October 2013 08:37 AM

wonder if the AD/DA on the mox is “enough” for some rough mixing? And if I connect them this way the recording quality should be the function of [mic,mic-pre,AD/DA on mox], isn’t it?

The D/A does not affect the recording quality, only playback. Yes it is “enough” for rough mixing.

And I remember seeing somewhere in the forum that the mox’s AD/DA is 24-bit, isn’t it?

Yes

cables are all unbalanced (unbalanced between mic-pre and mox, unbalanced between mox and monitors). Does that make differences if I do not run long cables?

No

If my mox goes bad someday, do I have to send the whole keyboard back to the dealer to get it repaired?

Any Yamaha authorized service center can repair it.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 16, 2013 @ 06:53 PM
bbaasszz
Joined  01-13-2013

Thank you for replying.
I also found that the outputs from some mic-pres are balanced. So if I connect them this way: mic-pre(balanced)> XLR-TS> mox(unbalanced), will the signal go properly?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 16, 2013 @ 08:29 PM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011
bbaasszz - 16 October 2013 06:53 PM

Thank you for replying.
I also found that the outputs from some mic-pres are balanced. So if I connect them this way: mic-pre(balanced)> XLR-TS> mox(unbalanced), will the signal go properly?

If you simply want to run an XLR to a TS as an unbalanced connection, then connect the tip of the TS to pin 2 on the XLR and the sleeve (ground) of the TS to BOTH Pins 1 and 3 on the XLR.

Disclaimer:  I really don’t know how this will work on your specific equipment...but it is the common way to transition a balanced line signal (connector) to an unbalanced line termination.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 17, 2013 @ 07:25 AM
bbaasszz
Joined  01-13-2013
cmayhle - 16 October 2013 08:29 PM

If you simply want to run an XLR to a TS as an unbalanced connection, then connect the tip of the TS to pin 2 on the XLR and the sleeve (ground) of the TS to BOTH Pins 1 and 3 on the XLR.

Disclaimer:  I really don’t know how this will work on your specific equipment...but it is the common way to transition a balanced line signal (connector) to an unbalanced line termination.

Thank you very much! I think it’s worth the try.

Cheers,

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Mox 6 Mox f6
Next Topic:

Question on loading ES8 voices and performances into MOXF8 ››