mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "moxf kit building question"

Posted on: October 10, 2013 @ 06:40 AM
waderck
Total Posts:  57
Joined  06-20-2013

BM-
I was hoping you could shed some light on something.
Regarding importing my wav/aiff files to create a new kit.
(Flash memory is installed...)
Say I have 20-40 wav one shots(consisting of kicks, snares, hats, etc)on my usb drive.  Is it as simple as just importing them all(as long as there is room)via usb to the moxf memory?
Thus in voice/kit edit mode, I am able to preview my 20-40 wav files to my liking for my kit?  How does it work in exactly in terms of importing wav’s, being able to preview them, calling them up for a new user it?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 10, 2013 @ 08:35 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Regarding importing my wav/aiff files to create a new kit.

Samples can be imported directly from a USB drive to the FLASH BOARD installed in the MOXF. When you “LOAD” them you will target a USER WAVEFORM location numbered 0001~2048, and you will target a (single) key.

Each of these USER WAVEFORM Locations has 128 places to store samples, identified by the KEY name/number - for example, it would be wise when importing individual DRUM or PERCUSSION hits to import each one to a separate WAVEFORM and set the original KEY = C3. (This will allow the most flexible)

Once your samples have been moved to a WAVEFORM location, (in a separate operation) you can access them from a MOXF VOICE. Now don’t misunderstand - the MOXF is not a sampler, and does not have any RAM, so you will not be able to do editing of samples on-board the MOXF.

The difference between the MOXF and the Motif XF is the Motif XF has an on-board sampler with RAM on board where you can edit the sample data itself.

So it is important to understand that what you want to do with your Drums and one shots is import them in “ready-to-use” condition… at least from the standpoint of pitch and length.

Now an alternate method would be to LOAD the individual Samples directly to the notes you want to use them… (there are no rules or right or wrong here), just different consequences.

For example, if you load each of your samples to specific notes of the *same* Waveform:
Kick = C1
Snare = D1
HiHt Cls = F#1
HiHt Ped = G#1
HiHt Opn = A#1
etc.

The consequence here is each sample is on a separate KEY but parameters that edit the WAVEFORM will affect all drums together.

This is why perhaps, loading each drum to a separate Waveform is the better (more flexible) method. I always look at the drummer as a multi-instrumentalist, remember each DRUM in a drum kit is a separate instrument.

in a marching band it takes one person to play the Bass drum… a separate person plays a snare, there are even separate people to play the cymbals, etc. Each drum IS a separate instrument. By loading each to separate Waveform you will be able to treat them as separate instruments.

Say I have 20-40 wav one shots(consisting of kicks, snares, hats, etc)on my usb drive.  Is it as simple as just importing them all(as long as there is room)via usb to the moxf memory?

Well, yes and no. You need to load each sample - as mentioned - to a separate Waveform. You don’t load them directly to the drum kit (as you would in the Motif XF) -what happens in the MOXF is you load them directly to FLASH…

and like building any voice, you can select any of the 3,977 internal Waveforms or any of the 2,048 that you have imported to your FLASH BOARD. Once your data is installed, building the VOICE is a separate operation.

Now important to understand is the following:
A WAVEFORM as defined and used by Yamaha in these synthesizers can easily contain 128 different KEYS left to right, at 128 different velocities. They can be quite complex - you cannot do all the complex editing in the MOXF. This will be handled externally in devices that can edit and create Waveforms (like the parent Motif XF)… the MOXF is able to take advantage of data created for and generated by the Motif XF.

What you can do with the MOXF alone is what we are discussing here:
_ You can import (WAV/Aiff) data directly from a drive and install it to a WAVEFORM as a single KEY Keybank (this means the sole extent of mapping during this process is to a WAVEFORM number 0001~2048 and a KEY.

All other editing to the sample is done prior to it being imported to the MOXF.

In the MOXF treats your data as it does any other Waveform with similar attributes.

Hope that helps. Yes it is a bit deep, but everything with samples and synth editing is a bit deep. Looking at how it is implemented many more things made me smile than not. Because this “Flash"-thing really does open the obvious advantage of “NEW” data and re-invention of the available sound library

Thus in voice/kit edit mode, I am able to preview my 20-40 wav files to my liking for my kit?  How does it work in exactly in terms of importing wav’s, being able to preview them, calling them up for a new user it?

In any MOXF VOICE you select the Waveform within the ELEMENT. What you are doing is selecting your custom waveform as the oscillator of this sound.

The Element applies a set of parameters that help shape that oscillator into a playable sound.

From normal VOICE mode:
Press [EDIT]
Touch a button [1]-[8] to select ELEMENT edit parameters.
Press [F1] OSC (Oscillator)
Press [SF1] WAVE (Waveform)
Here you can select either one of 3977 preset Waveforms or 2048 user Waveforms as one of the eight oscillators per Voice

From drum VOICE mode:
Press [EDIT]
Touch button [1] to select KEY edit parameters.
Press [F1] OSC (Oscillator)
PRess [SF1] WAVE (Waveform)
Here you can touch any key on the keyboard between C0~C6 to view the individual Elements of a Drum Kit Voice (a Drum Kit has 73 oscillators, one per key)

From a MIXING setup:
Press [MIXING]
Press [F2] VOICE
Select a normal Voice to edit
Press [F5] VCE ED (VOICE EDIT)
you are now in normal Voice edit and can use the sample as oscillator for any Voice.

You can select the Bank 63/60 which contains what is called a MIXING Voice. Each SONG/PATTERN has 16 such MIXING VOICES - here you can select your custom WAVEFORM as its OSCILLATOR

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 10, 2013 @ 09:53 AM
waderck
Joined  06-20-2013

BM- Thank you once again for the in-depth explanation.
Question though based off your response.

When I load my new wav’s to the “user waveform area”, is it one at a time to copy each to a user wav?  Or is there a “load all” option.  I guess i’m curious if you can you import/load multiples wav’s and it just overwrites what you have open for user wavs? So 20 wav’s copy to user wave 0001-00020? Sounds like it would take a while if you are dragging more than a handful of new wav files and copying each wav at a time to a new user wav location, setting key, etc?

How does it work when you import, say, the CP1 piano library(that has 15 wav’s in it).  Does this just store to empty user wavs?
Do I have to redirect those?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 11, 2013 @ 07:34 AM
waderck
Joined  06-20-2013

or is there a fast way to import my sounds via john melas tool maybe?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 11, 2013 @ 02:29 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

Loading your custom individual .wav/aiff is way different from loading the CP1 piano. Like night and day different.

One is individual ‘non-musical’ raw audio data (that’s what a .wav/aiff is: non-musical raw); the other is a set of musical instruments contained in a well organized, equal temperament tuned, velocity and key mapped, ready-to-play Waveforms.

Night and day~!!!

Non-musical in the sense that a .wav has no MIDI Note number associated with it, it does not respond to Velocity, it does not transpose up a semitone when triggered with a note a half-step higher, it is just a bit of audio - you are transferring that to a KEY.

The CP1 piano is 2048 KeyBanks that meticulously recreate 15 complete piano Waveforms. Loading 2048 samples one at a time would be ridiculous… the CP1 data is already configured for the Motif XF/MOXF and can be loaded in a single process.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 11, 2013 @ 06:12 PM
waderck
Joined  06-20-2013

BM-
Here is where I am stuck.
If I do want to do that route where I have multiple wav files on one user wav.  How do you do that?  I have success with one going onto a user wav. 

I was trying this
pick my wav-destination user 001/key c2/exec
pick my next wav-destination user001/keyd2/exec
and so on..
when I goto my user kit, and go to c2, I can hear my user 001 wav.
However, when I go to d2, etc.. and call up my user001 wav, I don’t have a sound.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 11, 2013 @ 07:44 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

Ignoring my story (completely) that each drum is a separate instrument. told it for a reason, I did!

It is illogical to have a one Waveform drum kit… So you will need to illogically use the “coarse tune” parameter to adjust the “window” through which the sound is accessed.

Typically one would import each individual drum to C3, then Coarse Tune = +0 would play the sample at the original pitch. A Coarse Tune of +1 would miss the sample all together. I don’t recommend the method you are using as you will need to use the Coarse Tune to locate your sample. I’ve seen some programmers do this, but it is not as flexible - - as you are about to find out.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 12, 2013 @ 10:03 AM
waderck
Joined  06-20-2013

thanks.. I understand, just thought i’d see how it would work with my setup.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 12, 2013 @ 09:10 PM
jshep0102
Total Posts:  290
Joined  11-16-2012

I am so confused. I’m in hopes of loading this

http://store.gospelmusicians.com/Kawai_EX/

into the flash board on the MOXF8. Will it? Will it have any voices created, or do I have to do that from scratch outside the keyboard? Please advise, and thanks.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 13, 2013 @ 04:54 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
jshep0102 - 12 October 2013 09:10 PM

into the flash board on the MOXF8. Will it? Will it have any voices created, or do I have to do that from scratch outside the keyboard? Please advise, and thanks.

The download should include both a file for the XS (.X0A) and one for the XF (.X3A). The MOXF is compatible with XF .X3A files for Voice data, as well as Performance, Waveform, Arp, and Mix Template data.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 13, 2013 @ 06:31 AM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

The link does not say how the data is provided.

If the data is provided in the Motif XS format .X0A you will NOT be able to load that to a MOXF.
If the data is provided in the Motif XF format .X3A you will be able to load that data to a MOXF that contains an expansion FLASH Board.

Unfortunately that information is not provided in the link you provided - I would recommend that you contact them and find out what type of FILE (exactly) they provide. It’s the difference between the data working and the data not being able to be translated.

And unless 5pinDIN knows something I don’t, I’d check!

.X0A = No Good
.X3A = Good

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 13, 2013 @ 08:44 AM
jshep0102
Total Posts:  290
Joined  11-16-2012

Good call. Thanks as always, Bad_Mister! 5pindin, too!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 13, 2013 @ 10:26 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
Bad_Mister - 13 October 2013 06:31 AM

[...]And unless 5pinDIN knows something I don’t, I’d check!

.X0A = No Good
.X3A = Good

I was pretty sure I had read somewhere that both .X0A and .X3A were provided. I just did a search, which turned up:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/469083/

So, moxrox indicates that the download includes both.

Gospel Musicians has a “no returns” policy (quite understandable), so by “all” ( :-) ) means, do check before purchasing.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 01, 2013 @ 06:31 PM
GospelMusicians
Total Posts:  336
Joined  08-26-2010
jshep0102 - 12 October 2013 09:10 PM

Sorry guys...we have not been on here that long.

If we have sounds for the XF and XF, then we provide those sounds in the format that is applicable, so in this case, we provide the .X3A.

We can confirm that that the sounds do load up fine in the MOXF, but I would hold off purchasing, because we are planning on offering “Jamal’s Flash” with all four Pianos, Neo-Soul Keys, Organs, Synths and a bunch of patches fully blown on a 1GB Flash. We will be selling the MOXF and the Flash.

Oh yea...If you scroll down, you will see a long video demo and Audio demos.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ MOXF
Next Topic:

MOXF Samples and Key-Off ››