mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Vocoder Trouble"

Page 1 of 2
Posted on: September 28, 2013 @ 01:05 PM
Michael Trigoboff
Total Posts:  647
Joined  09-05-2011

I decided to try using the vocoder. So I bought a microphone, plugged it into A/D INPUT L, and followed the instructions on page 68 of the Reference Manual to set up a Voice.

I started with a saxophone voice. What I ended up with was a silent voice. Nothing happens when I hit any of the keys. Nothing happens when I speak into the microphone. It works just the same when the XF7 is turned off as when it’s turned on.

I checked the instructions and my settings 3 times and as far as I can tell I did it all correctly. I even found an error in Section 4 of the instructions: You need to hit [F6] (Effect) before you hit [SF1].

So clearly something is wrong, and I need help to figure it out.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 28, 2013 @ 01:16 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Setting up the VOCODER 1-2-3!

If you are not going to use one of the four Voices already setup for Vocoding, then you must ensure the following:
_ The Voice you choose has its dual INSERTION EFFECTS configured as a Vocoder… You do so by editing the “direction” parameter located between INS A and INS B.
_ The Voice is used in Voice mode, or if used in a PERFORMANCE PART or a MIXING PART it has to be placed in PART 1
_ in general, the richer the sound is in harmonics the more intelligible the Vocoded sound… In fact, the closer it is to pure noise the better… Noise (all frequencies and harmonics together) makes the most intelligible Vocoder sound. Not all Voices lend themselves as good candidates for Vocoding.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 28, 2013 @ 04:51 PM
Michael Trigoboff
Joined  09-05-2011
Bad_Mister - 28 September 2013 01:16 PM

Setting up the VOCODER 1-2-3!

If you are not going to use one of the four Voices already setup for Vocoding, then you must ensure the following:
_ The Voice you choose has its dual INSERTION EFFECTS configured as a Vocoder… You do so by editing the “direction” parameter located between INS A and INS B.
_ The Voice is used in Voice mode, or if used in a PERFORMANCE PART or a MIXING PART it has to be placed in PART 1
_ in general, the richer the sound is in harmonics the more intelligible the Vocoded sound… In fact, the closer it is to pure noise the better… Noise (all frequencies and harmonics together) makes the most intelligible Vocoder sound. Not all Voices lend themselves as good candidates for Vocoding.

I just tried Step 1 from the document you linked. I’m sure I did it correctly. I couldn’t hear myself no matter how high I set the Master Volume slider or the little gain knob. (I did this very cautiously, as per the instructions.)

Are there any other “mystery settings” that could be affecting things?

I have a brand new Shure SM58S microphone. Is that a good microphone to use with an XF7? I’m starting to wonder if perhaps this particular microphone is a dud.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 28, 2013 @ 05:06 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
Michael Trigoboff - 28 September 2013 04:51 PM

[...]I have a brand new Shure SM58S microphone. Is that a good microphone to use with an XF7? I’m starting to wonder if perhaps this particular microphone is a dud.

I realize that this might seem obvious (so please don’t take offense), but is the switch on the mic in the “on” position?

As a temporary “quick and dirty” test, dynamic headphones (the usual type) can be used in place of a mic. Plug them into the A/D Input. Speaking into one or the other of the sides of the headphones should result in audio. If you have only one pair of headphones, and will be listening on speakers, be careful not to induce feedback at high levels.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 28, 2013 @ 05:15 PM
Michael Trigoboff
Joined  09-05-2011
5pinDIN - 28 September 2013 05:06 PM

[...]I have a brand new Shure SM58S microphone. Is that a good microphone to use with an XF7? I’m starting to wonder if perhaps this particular microphone is a dud.

I realize that this might seem obvious (so please don’t take offense), but is the switch on the mic in the “on” position?

As a temporary “quick and dirty” test, dynamic headphones (the usual type) can be used in place of a mic. Plug them into the A/D Input. Speaking into one or the other of the sides of the headphones should result in audio. If you have only one pair of headphones, and will be listening on speakers, be careful not to induce feedback at high levels.

Absolutely no offense taken. I’ve made my share of really dumb mistakes.

But I think I had this one covered. I tried everything with the switch in both positions, because the switch isn’t labeled. I’m assuming that “On” is away from the wire.

Good suggestion about dynamic headphones, but I don’t currently have a pair of those around. I’m going to go over to a friend’s house tomorrow and try the microphone with his guitar amp.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 28, 2013 @ 05:31 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

You might plug the mic into the Right A/D Input, just to rule out a possible problem with the Left side.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 28, 2013 @ 06:05 PM
Michael Trigoboff
Joined  09-05-2011
5pinDIN - 28 September 2013 05:31 PM

You might plug the mic into the Right A/D Input, just to rule out a possible problem with the Left side.

Didn’t realize you could do this. Do I have to change any settings?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 28, 2013 @ 06:09 PM
Michael Trigoboff
Joined  09-05-2011

I just tried the four Voices listed in the document linked by Bad_Mister that are already set up for Vocoder use.

The first two are “silent.” No notes sound when I hit the keyboard. The second two play notes when I hit the keyboard, but the microphone has no effect.

Are the first two supposed to be “silent?”

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 28, 2013 @ 06:18 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
Michael Trigoboff - 28 September 2013 06:05 PM
5pinDIN - 28 September 2013 05:31 PM

Didn’t realize you could do this. Do I have to change any settings?

Not for Step 1 - the output will just be from the right instead of the left.

By the way, there’s one more simple thing to check. Sometimes with new gear the connectors are kind of tight. Make sure that the XLR connector going into the mic is fully inserted, “clicked” into place. As verification, it normally shouldn’t be possible to pull the connector out without pressing the release tab.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 28, 2013 @ 06:59 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

Plug the mic into the L/mono input
Turn the knob on the back panel fully up (setting for mic)

Yes, the first two Vocoder Voices will be silent when there is no input from the microphone, because they are entirely dependent on the A/D input from the mic. The second two play the synth sound even if you don’t have the microphone setup.

You don’t say, can you get the microphone to work without the Vocoder, that would be the first step.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 28, 2013 @ 07:13 PM
VikasSharma
Total Posts:  1523
Joined  10-05-2010

Also, in order to get the vocoder effect to be heard, you have to speak into the microphone AND play the keyboard simultaneously. Doing either of the two separately would result in nothing.

EDIT: Try getting the voices PRE8 H13 (Vocoder with Delay) and PRE8 H14 (Funky Vocoder) to work before trying other voices.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 28, 2013 @ 11:48 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
Bad_Mister - 28 September 2013 06:59 PM

[...]You don’t say, can you get the microphone to work without the Vocoder, that would be the first step.

Unless I’m misinterpreting things, Michael Trigoboff wasn’t able to get the mic working even by itself...

I just tried Step 1 from the document you linked. I’m sure I did it correctly. I couldn’t hear myself no matter how high I set the Master Volume slider or the little gain knob. (I did this very cautiously, as per the instructions.)[...]

...which is why I made various previous suggestions. :-)
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 29, 2013 @ 12:08 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

By the way, counterfeit Shure mics have been known to be marketed. I’d call them Chinese knock-offs, except Shure itself has manufacturing in China. I’m not saying that the mic in question is counterfeit, but Shure products typically are rugged and reliable. Perhaps it’s just a cabling problem.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 29, 2013 @ 12:27 PM
Michael Trigoboff
Joined  09-05-2011
5pinDIN - 29 September 2013 12:08 AM

By the way, counterfeit Shure mics have been known to be marketed. I’d call them Chinese knock-offs, except Shure itself has manufacturing in China. I’m not saying that the mic in question is counterfeit, but Shure products typically are rugged and reliable. Perhaps it’s just a cabling problem.

I bought this mic from Sweetwater. Hopefully they’re not selling counterfeit mics.

Speaking of cabling, I just noticed that the 1/4” plug has 3 contacts. Is that what my XF7 needs/uses?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 29, 2013 @ 01:19 PM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011
Michael Trigoboff - 29 September 2013 12:27 PM

Speaking of cabling, I just noticed that the 1/4” plug has 3 contacts. Is that what my XF7 needs/uses?

No...the A/D input is an unbalanced (2) contact 1/4” mono (TS) phone jack.

From the Owner’s Manual:

A/D INPUT jacks (page 47)

External audio signals can be input via these phone jacks
(1/4” mono phone plug).

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 29, 2013 @ 01:36 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

3 contacts means you are using a TRS cable in a jack looking for a TS cable. That would prevent your microphone from working. you need a specific cable 3-pin female to TS 1/4” male.

Here’s an example…

[ Ignore ]  

Page 1 of 2