mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Song Mode Voices External Sequencer."

Posted on: September 26, 2013 @ 12:26 PM
artlowell
Total Posts:  33
Joined  12-14-2007

Using Logic/OS10.8.4 as a sequencer.

In Song Mode,my Motif plays the sequence from my logic MIDI region (so I know my Motif is receiving MIDI data). Doesn’t work from Logic MIDI in voice mode.

In Song Mode, I only hear a piano sound (with Motif “headphones out"), but I want to hear different Motif voices from my Yamaha that I can only hear in Voice Mode.

I want to be able to try out a variety of Motif voices using one MIDI sequence in a Logic project. What buttons do I push?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 26, 2013 @ 12:56 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

In Song Mode,my Motif plays the sequence from my logic MIDI region (so I know my Motif is receiving MIDI data). Doesn’t work from Logic MIDI in voice mode.

That is correct. Look at the front panel, the Motif XS has two SEQUENCER modes: SONG and PATTERN. You must be in one of those two modes when working with a sequencer (be it the internal sequencer or be it Logic).

When in SONG mode or PATTERN mode you can select 16 different VOICES, one for each of the 16 different PARTS, and each PART can be set on one of the 16 different MIDI channels (or however you wish to assign them).

What you want to learn how to do is select VOICES from the 16 PARTS of the XS while you are in SONG mode.

Here’s how:
Press [MIXING]
This gives you access to the Motif XS mixer where your 16 internal PARTS are shown when you press [F1] PART 1-16, and the Audio INPUTs are shown when you pres [F2] AUDIO.

You can select VOICE for each PART by moving the cursor to the BANK area and NUMBER area to select individual VOICES. You can also highlight a PART by pressing a number button then press [CATEGORY SEARCH] and look Voices up that way.

But going to VOICE mode only allows the Motif XS to play one sound at a time - it is not a SEQUENCER mode. Make sense?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 26, 2013 @ 02:58 PM
artlowell
Joined  12-14-2007

I screwed up and posted this in the wrong forum. I’m using a Motif 6, so the displays are probably a bit different. I followed you right up to where I could find the voice I wanted, and that voice# is, indeed, shown for part 1. Now, I do hear the Motif playing my MIDI sequence, but it’s still the piano sound and not the voice I chose.

But going to VOICE mode only allows the Motif XS to play one sound at a time - it is not a SEQUENCER mode. Make sense?

Makes sense as far as it goes. Am I going to have to create some kind of sequence in my Motif sequencer? That’s what I’m using Logic for.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 26, 2013 @ 04:35 PM
artlowell
Joined  12-14-2007

Never mind. I hadn’t given the right channel# to my aux channel in Logic.

Thanx Mr. Mister. Perfect outcome.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 26, 2013 @ 05:25 PM
artlowell
Joined  12-14-2007

Now, if somebody could tell me how to turn off Motif’s friggin’ metronome . . . (I assume that’s the rhythmic bass piano pounding that’s drowning out my sequence).

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 26, 2013 @ 09:15 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

Press [SEQ SETUP]
Press [F1] CLICK
Set it as YOU desire. The default is only when in Rec mode ... I thought you were recording in Logic, so there is no need for the XS Click to be sounding.... Doh!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 27, 2013 @ 01:17 PM
artlowell
Joined  12-14-2007

The default is only when in Rec mode

Since I am not in Record mode, I don’t know what that rhythmic piano pounding is. However, I found that I could eliminate it by zero-ing the second fader in the Motif Mixer. The Logic metronome was not active to my knowledge.

(I should explain: What I am doing is using Logic to play different chord combinations with the Motif while simultaneously recording the sound from the Motif -through an audio/digital converter- back into Logic. The Motif voice is “glacy”, #102. This is an arpeggiated composite voice of some kind that results in very different ambient sonorities depending on the note combinations. Being able to tweak it by just editing the notes in the Logic MIDI region is a very convenient way to do it while creating an audio file that can be used in a Logic project).

Your explanations have been very helpful.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 27, 2013 @ 01:46 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

Since I am not in Record mode, I don’t know what that rhythmic piano pounding is.

it’s a cinch it is not the motif’s click, that is for sure.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ ThruPort possible bug in Motif Classic
Next Topic:

SAME SOUND STUCK ON EVERY TRACK MOTIF ES ››