mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Do I Need a Motif? (Trying to decide)"

Posted on: September 26, 2013 @ 07:32 AM
acw030
Total Posts:  7
Joined  09-26-2013

Hi everyone,

This may be a dumb question, but I will ask it anyway:

The Motif XF8 is an amazing-sounding machine, and based on all of the videos I’ve watched on YouTube, the possibilities with it are endless. However, it is $3599. While I can see myself spending this kind of money and being very happy with my purchase, can I not achieve almost all of the capabilities of the XF8 using a combination of an Akai MPK88, Reason 7, and Synthogy Ivory II, for example, at a fraction of the cost?

Are there any reasons you can think of why the latter would be insufficient and I would *need* an XF8? I realize that that’s a difficult question to answer, but I am torn and looking for opinions from people who are more knowledgeable about these things than I am.

If it helps, I don’t plan to do any gigging any time soon. Whichever setup I choose will be installed in a spare bedroom and remain there. My main focus is piano playing, with occasional ventures into electronic music (the likes of Enigma, Schiller, Mysteria, for example).

I hope I’ve given enough information. Thanks in advance for any help you can give :)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 26, 2013 @ 08:09 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

If you’re satisfied with “an Akai MPK88, Reason 7, and Synthogy Ivory II, for example”, then you likely don’t need an XF8.

Whether you want one is another issue.

:-)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 26, 2013 @ 08:11 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

It’s a valid question and you’ll get all kinds of opinions because that is the nature of things musical. However, there are some facts that need to be consider before you even get into any subjective discussions about sounds, flexibility, workflow, etc., etc., etc.

These include: it is not that different in cost… unless you are assuming that you already own the computer to run the system (and are not counting that as part of the expense). Don’t minimize it when comparing - the computer and its maintenance (updates/upgrades etc) plays a part in everything over time.

How you are going to use it is critical. The hardware Motif XF8, and now its sibling, the MOXF8 (shipping next month), are what you should be considering in all of this. The Motif XF8 is twice the price of the MOXF8 so if $$$ are a consideration, then you better take a good look at this new one (because now you’ll have an option that is right in there in the same price range with your computer and the software stuff you mentioned).

If your goal is to tour and gig heavily, if part of what you want to do is creating your own custom samples and sample libraries, and you want to do serious project-studio level multi-track recording via FireWire, then the Motif XF8 is the ultimate ticket, no doubt. It’s a keeper!

But if you want all the capability of the Motif XF8 but don’t think you are going to create your own sample library, and don’t think you need multiple simultaneous FireWire outputs, and are concerned about the money, then the MOXF8 might be the better alternative for you.

But one of the things you pay for and get to enjoy (and this you must factor into the equation) - if you had purchase a (classic) Motif 8 back in 2001, you could very well still be working with it making music, gigging, recording right up through today, twelve years later.

But if you had a computer and the software items you named twelve years ago, you would have invested far more money just to be able to keep running the very same items… do you know what I mean? You might have been running Window 98 back in 2001? And Macs weren’t even felines back then :-)

The Motif 6 is hardware - you “own” it in a real sense. Software eventually become vaporware… eventually because they upgrade the computer or the OS, to the point you can’t run it any more. With Software, you basically buy a subscription to it, you don’t “own it” in the same way you do an instrument. T

Now don’t misunderstand me, I love software and love using it, but I also recognize that I want my instrument to be my instrument - I get to know my instrument different from all others. I also enjoy that it will be stable. So when I customize my instrument - I can count on it.  Here I’m talking about response time - the hardware is stable and solid - when I setup my velocity curves on my hardware instrument that is how it will perform (no matter how many EQ’s I open, or what else is running at the time).

So without a discussion of which is better for workflow, which sounds better, etc., etc., you have to decide which is going to serve your goals, and requirements. I rather enjoy having an instrument that I can use alone, without anything else, and then when I want to integrate with the computer, I can… and I get the best of both worlds.

That’s easy.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 26, 2013 @ 11:35 AM
acw030
Joined  09-26-2013

Thanks for the quick and detailed response! I’ve enjoyed watching several of your demos on YouTube, and especially liked your demo of “Second Breakfast” in the Sweetwater video.

I think I’m leaning toward the XF8. I like the idea of having everything all in one package, and just like the look and feel of the board in general. I’ll have one in a few months, hopefully.

By the way, I read somewhere that you went to college in Syracuse? I grew up in Rochester :)

Bad_Mister - 26 September 2013 08:11 AM

It’s a valid question and you’ll get all kinds of opinions because that is the nature of things musical. However, there are some facts that need to be consider before you even get into any subjective discussions about sounds, flexibility, workflow, etc., etc., etc.

These include: it is not that different in cost… unless you are assuming that you already own the computer to run the system (and are not counting that as part of the expense). Don’t minimize it when comparing - the computer and its maintenance (updates/upgrades etc) plays a part in everything over time.

How you are going to use it is critical. The hardware Motif XF8, and now its sibling, the MOXF8 (shipping next month), are what you should be considering in all of this. The Motif XF8 is twice the price of the MOXF8 so if $$$ are a consideration, then you better take a good look at this new one (because now you’ll have an option that is right in there in the same price range with your computer and the software stuff you mentioned).

If your goal is to tour and gig heavily, if part of what you want to do is creating your own custom samples and sample libraries, and you want to do serious project-studio level multi-track recording via FireWire, then the Motif XF8 is the ultimate ticket, no doubt. It’s a keeper!

But if you want all the capability of the Motif XF8 but don’t think you are going to create your own sample library, and don’t think you need multiple simultaneous FireWire outputs, and are concerned about the money, then the MOXF8 might be the better alternative for you.

But one of the things you pay for and get to enjoy (and this you must factor into the equation) - if you had purchase a (classic) Motif 8 back in 2001, you could very well still be working with it making music, gigging, recording right up through today, twelve years later.

But if you had a computer and the software items you named twelve years ago, you would have invested far more money just to be able to keep running the very same items… do you know what I mean? You might have been running Window 98 back in 2001? And Macs weren’t even felines back then :-)

The Motif 6 is hardware - you “own” it in a real sense. Software eventually become vaporware… eventually because they upgrade the computer or the OS, to the point you can’t run it any more. With Software, you basically buy a subscription to it, you don’t “own it” in the same way you do an instrument. T

Now don’t misunderstand me, I love software and love using it, but I also recognize that I want my instrument to be my instrument - I get to know my instrument different from all others. I also enjoy that it will be stable. So when I customize my instrument - I can count on it.  Here I’m talking about response time - the hardware is stable and solid - when I setup my velocity curves on my hardware instrument that is how it will perform (no matter how many EQ’s I open, or what else is running at the time).

So without a discussion of which is better for workflow, which sounds better, etc., etc., you have to decide which is going to serve your goals, and requirements. I rather enjoy having an instrument that I can use alone, without anything else, and then when I want to integrate with the computer, I can… and I get the best of both worlds.

That’s easy.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 27, 2013 @ 06:14 AM
abdol
Total Posts:  318
Joined  05-30-2012

You can’t compare MOTIF XF with IVORY II if you’re looking for a decent piano sound you will be disappointed.
In the other departments there is no much difference. XF is rompler and doesn’t have any special audio synthesis engine. The max you can get for free is less than 4 velocity layers for and DSPs while just say IVORY II has many other features just for piano.

MOTIF XF’s hardware and software are both out dated for your info.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 27, 2013 @ 09:20 AM
DavePolich
Total Posts:  6820
Joined  07-27-2002

acw30, pay no attention to abdol. He is the forum’s current resident hater. Never misses a chance to diss Yamaha.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 27, 2013 @ 09:29 AM
botega
Total Posts:  1174
Joined  03-16-2007
abdol - 27 September 2013 06:14 AM

You can’t compare MOTIF XF with IVORY II if you’re looking for a decent piano sound you will be disappointed.
In the other departments there is no much difference. XF is rompler and doesn’t have any special audio synthesis engine. The max you can get for free is less than 4 velocity layers for and DSPs while just say IVORY II has many other features just for piano.

MOTIF XF’s hardware and software are both out dated for your info.

That’s an example for a wrong\bad answer!

You just have to try it for yourself and you might get to an opposite conclusion then our friend abdol. no one can tell you what to like, it’s up to you to decide based on your own experience
Yes the Ivory II is a great Software Piano, But you might like the Motif’s piano much more if you’re looking for THAT sound…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 27, 2013 @ 10:34 AM
abdol
Joined  05-30-2012

What are you talking about? What is your definition of a good answer my friend? saying Yamaha is the best gear manufacturer in the world? Give reasons ok?
Did you followed the posts at all? I can’t find any line in any of the posts made here saying he/she is looking for MOTIF piano sound.
The question asked is will it sound like IVORY II and etc.
The answer is simple “NO IT WONT!”.

IVORY II has beautiful samples you can even upgrade for about 100 I think if you have an older version (not sure) BUT if you get the latest version it has some terrific acoustic piano sound.

You people are not honest with this guy.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 27, 2013 @ 10:49 AM
DavePolich
Joined  07-27-2002

The OP did not say they were looking for an Ivory piano sound in the Motif.

Here is what they said, exactly:

“While I can see myself spending this kind of money and being very happy with my purchase, can I not achieve almost all of the capabilities of the XF8 using a combination of an Akai MPK88, Reason 7, and Synthogy Ivory II, for example, at a fraction of the cost?”

And the answer is still no, because you have to factor in the cost of the computer, monitor, audio interfaces, additional drives, and additional
RAM, which then makes it more costly than the Motif XF.

But let’s assume the OP already has the computer and audio interface. The
Akai controller, Reason 7, and Ivory still will not give him all the features of the Motif XF. No integrated sampling, no loop remix, no option
for flash storage, certainly not the Motif voices themselves, and the setup is not something you can pack up and put in a road case and take to
the gig that easily.

We know, you hate the Motif, you hate Yamaha, you hate people who disagree
with you. Well, keep up your hating, that is your privilege, and we can’t
stop you. But we can certainly point out that is what you’re doing on the
forum. And you cannot stop anyone from doing that.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 27, 2013 @ 11:51 AM
acw030
Joined  09-26-2013

Yeah, that’s pretty much the impression that I got. I just didn’t want to say so, considering that I am new to this forum.

I suppose he has a right to his opinion, but it is a bit ridiculous to say that a $3,600 workstation sounds scarcely better than a Casio (as was stated in one of his posts that has since been deleted).

Thanks again, everyone, for your input. I’m willing to pay extra to have almost everything I need all in one package. That being said, I have to have myself a new XF8 here in a couple of months. Probably right around tax refund time :-))))

DavePolich - 27 September 2013 09:20 AM

acw30, pay no attention to abdol. He is the forum’s current resident hater. Never misses a chance to diss Yamaha.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 27, 2013 @ 02:20 PM
abdol
Joined  05-30-2012

I’m wondering if you know anything about how IVORY II produces the tones and how MOTIF does?

Anyway if you ended up that MOTIF is better than all the stuff you’ve been using so far, not only I can change that, I don’t want to either. Enjoy your “NEW” MOTIF XF!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 28, 2013 @ 06:24 AM
botega
Total Posts:  1174
Joined  03-16-2007

abdol needs a hug!

seriously man, what different does it make if he\she knows about how in the the world an instrument produces it’s tones? will this unnecessary knowledge help him\her being a better musician and create better songs? will it help his\her experience of playing a certain instrument?

don’t be such an arrogant, if you know the answer for your question then good for you! but it has no relation to music, it’s just a simple googling and reading.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 28, 2013 @ 10:32 AM
abdol
Joined  05-30-2012

You are funny my friend. How did you end up with this conclusion? What makes me arrogant and makes other people down to earth? Helping someone to save some money?

No offense but your sense of humor surpassed the logic here.

I’m not arrogant, I’m defending good morals here. I’m not misleading anyone here. Just warning them as it didn’t happen to me when I purchased my own gear.

I’m defending the fact that you should get something decent for the money you pay no matter what you purchase.
Trial and error method you offered will cost $3.5k and IMHO it’s not a good idea.
If something I said is wrong then go ahead and say the reason why it’s wrong. Be logical instead of being sarcastic and funny. This won’t prove anything.
Try to be helpful and say something useful if you don’t have something to offer, then you don’t have to make fun of other people right?

I’m respecting you as much as you respect me.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 28, 2013 @ 11:30 AM
stoneb3
Total Posts:  851
Joined  06-05-2011

Guess that’s a no on the hug.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 28, 2013 @ 06:19 PM
DavePolich
Joined  07-27-2002
abdol - 28 September 2013 10:32 AM

You are funny my friend. How did you end up with this conclusion? What makes me arrogant and makes other people down to earth? Helping someone to save some money?

No offense but your sense of humor surpassed the logic here.

I’m not arrogant, I’m defending good morals here. I’m not misleading anyone here. Just warning them as it didn’t happen to me when I purchased my own gear.

I’m defending the fact that you should get something decent for the money you pay no matter what you purchase.
Trial and error method you offered will cost $3.5k and IMHO it’s not a good idea.
If something I said is wrong then go ahead and say the reason why it’s wrong. Be logical instead of being sarcastic and funny. This won’t prove anything.
Try to be helpful and say something useful if you don’t have something to offer, then you don’t have to make fun of other people right?

I’m respecting you as much as you respect me.

No you’re not, abdol.

You said in the post before this latest reply:

“I’m wondering if you know anything about how IVORY II produces the tones and how MOTIF does?

Anyway if you ended up that MOTIF is better than all the stuff you’ve been using so far, not only I can change that, I don’t want to either. Enjoy your “NEW” MOTIF XF!”

That is condescending and insulting...basically saying you know better
than anyone else, and if the guy disagrees with you, he’s obviously an
idiot who doesn’t know what sounds good and what doesn’t.

Here’s what you said in your very first reply on this thread:

“You can’t compare MOTIF XF with IVORY II if you’re looking for a decent piano sound you will be disappointed.

MOTIF XF’s hardware and software are both out dated for your info.”

I don’t understand the “max you can get for free is less than 4 velocity layers” sentence, that makes no sense whatsoever, but regardless, your words again are condescending and derogatory.

Don’t think you’re doing someone a heroic favor by making
a denigrating statement. You want to post that the Motif XF is crap, go
do that on a Korg or Roland or Kurzweil forum where you might find some
company, someone like Foleycore. Your posts here serve no one who is interested in a Yamaha product.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 29, 2013 @ 01:40 AM
DZ101
Total Posts:  22
Joined  11-03-2003

It’s important to bear in mind that working with a DAW is not the same experience as working with a hardware workstation.
The DAW is much more versatile and offers a greater variety of sounds, but you have consider the fact that with a DAW you are dealing with the logistics of the set-up and the configuration of the song you want to create.
With a hardware workstation it’s easier, quicker and more intuitive to jot down ideas, and it allows you to focus more on the music without any distractions.

For me a DAW does not replace a hardware workstation, but it is a tool for specific production purposes, while I prefer the hardware workstation when it comes to writing and arranging music.

[ Ignore ]