mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "FC2"

Posted on: September 24, 2013 @ 03:11 PM
Winky
Total Posts:  36
Joined  09-18-2013

I’m new to Yamaha MOX world, so I need to get over my fear of posting a stupid question.

I purchased a Yamaha FC7 expression pedal. I called up Pedal Wah Clav FC2 - Pre1:079 (E15).  I plugged the FC7 pedal into the “Foot Controller” jack in the back of the MOX. A demo video I saw on YouTube said this would control the wah effect. The title of the voice implies the same. However it merely acts as a volume control pedal.

How do I get this to control the wah effect?

And on a similar issue, how does the FC1 and FC2 integrate in that there is only on FC jack?

Sorry if this is overly basic. I’m slowly getting up to speed here. Doing my best. Thanks in advance.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 24, 2013 @ 05:42 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Not overly basic at all. Welcome to the forums! The MOX has only one Foot Controller jack (it’s bigger brothers, the Motif XF-series have two Assignable Foot Controller jacks). What the MOX offers is an option to have that one jack act as FC1 or FC2.

The defaults on all Yamaha pro synths is that the FC1 function as musical volume cc011 (Expression) and that FC2 function as cc004 Foot Control. Many of the Preset Voices use this as a standard in the programming. The difference between cc011 and cc004 is very important to understand. cc011 always will affect Volume, no matter what, even if you assign an addition function. It has a fixed function, it controls output level. cc004 Foot Control can be assigned to any of many specific functions within the synth… Even volume. There are 101 possible Voice and/or Effect parameter destinations. This is the flexible controller when building a Voice, because in on Voice you can set it to control the VCM PEDAL WAH, or in another Voice use to fade is four Elements and fade out four others. In each Voice FC2 could be doing something different (it’s up to you).

So since FC1 will always be a Volume pedal, if you want to use the MOX’s one Foot Controller jack as FC2, you go into UTILITY mode and set FC1 to send cc004.

Now the FC7 pedal plugged into your MOX will behave as if it were the FC2 ... And all Voices that utilize FC2 in their programming can be accessed.

Rather than just fix it so you had no choice, with just the one jack, they let you program which one you want it to be. Here’s how:

Press [UTILITY]
Press [F4] CTL ASN (Controller Assign)
Make FC1 = 04[FootControl]
Press [STORE] to make your preference.
Hope that helps.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 25, 2013 @ 01:25 AM
Winky
Joined  09-18-2013

Thanks! Awesome. I get it.

Will this change in UTILITY of FC1 to 04 (FC2) be applied only to the Voice that is active at the time the change is made, or will it be a global change to all presets, performances and USERs?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 25, 2013 @ 02:41 AM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

The setting made in UTILITY mode for the Controllers is global.

In general, if you opt for FC2 function, and on a particular voice you need it control Volume, cc004 can control Voice volume (it’s one of the 101 parameter destinations found in the voice’s Control Set.. Yes, this means you would need to get into customizing Voices and storing them in your USER bank.

It’s an either/or situation… In that you can accept the defaults, in which case the FC jack will be a volume control globally (sending cc011). Or you set the FC to be programmable by setting it to FC2’s control number 004. If you opt for the latter, then you will need to program the FC as you desire on the voices you decide to use.

The good thing is you have a choice. As we like to say, the good news is it is programmable, the bad news is you have to program it… but in reality it is better than having 1 jack with no choice at all.

The Presets are provided so that you have a set of Voices that will always be there… if you need to change something about any of them, the idea is to edit the Preset and store your version in the user’s USER Voice banks… that is what they are for: Custom versions of Voices.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 25, 2013 @ 09:25 AM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011
Winky - 25 September 2013 01:25 AM

Thanks! Awesome. I get it.

Will this change in UTILITY of FC1 to 04 (FC2) be applied only to the Voice that is active at the time the change is made, or will it be a global change to all presets, performances and USERs?

Winky, another option is to program your Utility setting to FC2 as Bad_Mister outlined for you, then additionally use a readily available in-line volume pedal (Such as the Yamaha FC9) to process the main signals out from your MOX.

The FC9 will allow you to maintain the stereo output on the MOX, which you will definitely want to do.  There are other stereo volume pedals on the market also.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 25, 2013 @ 12:19 PM
Winky
Joined  09-18-2013

Thanks to both of you. Got it. I’m actually performing tonight with Leon Russell and trying to decide on whether to bring my Nord that I am so used to or try this new MOX live for the first time. Leon will be sitting behind a grand, and also have a Motif XS. Which does bring up a question nothing to do with this post— but I’ll ask anyway (let me know if in the future you’d prefer a separate post)… will his “memory stick” for an XF work in an XS? and will any Motif memory sticks work in an MOX?

Again, thanks for being so helpful and clear. You are amazing. It’s a great reassurance having you out there!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 25, 2013 @ 12:32 PM
cmayhle
Joined  10-05-2011
Winky - 25 September 2013 12:19 PM

… Which does bring up a question nothing to do with this post— but I’ll ask anyway (let me know if in the future you’d prefer a separate post)… will his “memory stick” for an XF work in an XS? and will any Motif memory sticks work in an MOX?…

No, XF files will not work in the XS.  And no, XF or XS files will not work in the MOX.

There are 3rd party programs available that can translate between platforms to various degrees, but you are right...that is a new topic.  If you have some specific questions with regard to file translation, you might want to start a new thread.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 18, 2013 @ 12:46 PM
jfbuckley
Total Posts:  3
Joined  05-13-2013

Sorry if this has been answered before, but I could not find it.  How do I set up the MOX6 to control the rotary effect with the Yamaha footpedal?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 18, 2013 @ 01:44 PM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005

The factory patches use mod wheel (CC#1) to control rotary fast/slow.

Either set the foot controller globally to be CC1 or reprogram the voices to use CC4 rather than CC1 to control fast/slow . Follow the instructions given in the posts above.

Although both the mod wheel and FC are continuous control devices, because the rotary fast/slow is an on/off switch it triggers when you cross through the midpoint. 

Using the foot controller means you can’t use it to control volume at the same time...which is why I use the mod wheel which is more like reaching for the Leslie switch on a Hammond anyway.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 18, 2013 @ 01:57 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

Using the foot controller means you can’t use it to control volume at the same time...which is why I use the mod wheel which is more like reaching for the Leslie switch on a Hammond anyway.

Absolutely!!!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 21, 2013 @ 08:52 AM
jfbuckley
Total Posts:  3
Joined  05-13-2013

Thanks for the replies.  I normally don’t have any problem just using the mod wheel for rotary speed, but our fearless leader was asking me to hold a chord with the left hand while playing a line with the right hand _and_ changing the speed.  I ended up holding the chord with the sustain pedal and quickly reaching over to the mod wheel to change rotary speed.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 05, 2013 @ 04:37 PM
jump000
Total Posts:  2
Joined  12-05-2013
jfbuckley - 21 October 2013 08:52 AM

Thanks for the replies.  I normally don’t have any problem just using the mod wheel for rotary speed, but our fearless leader was asking me to hold a chord with the left hand while playing a line with the right hand _and_ changing the speed.  I ended up holding the chord with the sustain pedal and quickly reaching over to the mod wheel to change rotary speed.

Hi , I am struggling with the assignment of the FC2 as well. I could manage to assign the FC2 to do the job of the Modulation Wheel (MW). This way I have both hands free and have control over the Leslie for the Organ voice etc. However, I have to hold the foot down all the time to keep it in the particular mode (fast/slow). What I could not figure out is how to change the FC2 to act as an ON/OFF switch (I have an XK1 Hammond and that works that way out of the box). Anyone got an idea how to change the setting to achieve that in the S90ES?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 05, 2013 @ 04:48 PM
cmayhle
Joined  10-05-2011
jump000 - 05 December 2013 04:37 PM

Hi , I am struggling with the assignment of the FC2 as well. I could manage to assign the FC2 to do the job of the Modulation Wheel (MW). This way I have both hands free and have control over the Leslie for the Organ voice etc. However, I have to hold the foot down all the time to keep it in the particular mode (fast/slow). What I could not figure out is how to change the FC2 to act as an ON/OFF switch (I have an XK1 Hammond and that works that way out of the box). Anyone got an idea how to change the setting to achieve that in the S90ES?

The Hammond is able to use your momentary switch for this (I also am able to use an FC5 foot switch as a Leslie toggle with my XM-2 Module...although I prefer to hit it with my hand!).

The Yamaha requires a latching switch to “hold” the current condition...a switch like This One.

If you want some additional discussion on this, see This Thread.  It should explain the issues and some of the solutions to them.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 05, 2013 @ 06:32 PM
jump000
Total Posts:  2
Joined  12-05-2013

Great, thanks for that.
I thought it would be somehow programmable. I will buy one of those.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ MOX8 power-up issues...was it the heat?
Next Topic:

My MOX6 is for sale ( SOLD ) ››