mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Thanks?"

Posted on: September 16, 2013 @ 11:33 AM
Michael Trigoboff
Total Posts:  647
Joined  09-05-2011

The experts on these forums (including 5pinDin, cmayhle, VikasSharma, and especially Bad_Mister) have helped me enormously to understand what I can do with my xf7. I have a question for all of you:

I’m very grateful for all the help I get around here. So I post messages of thanks, and express my gratitude.

It occurred to me last night that while well-intentioned, these messages may actually be adding unnecessarily to the workload of our experts.

So my question to our experts is, would you prefer that we not post messages like this? The last thing I want to do is have any kind of negative effect on you.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 17, 2013 @ 04:07 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
Michael Trigoboff - 16 September 2013 11:33 AM

The experts on these forums (including 5pinDin, cmayhle, VikasSharma, and especially Bad_Mister) have helped me enormously to understand what I can do with my xf7. I have a question for all of you:

I’m very grateful for all the help I get around here. So I post messages of thanks, and express my gratitude.

It occurred to me last night that while well-intentioned, these messages may actually be adding unnecessarily to the workload of our experts.

So my question to our experts is, would you prefer that we not post messages like this? The last thing I want to do is have any kind of negative effect on you.

I suspect that some recognition is appreciated by all who help others. An occasional quick “thanks” does it for me.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 17, 2013 @ 07:06 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

We know that far, far more people lurk at Motifator than post (the numbers do not lie) - so I thank those with the inquisitiveness (and courage) to post questions. Without those questions there would be no forum. Sometimes, it is difficult even to formulate the question. And as you know by now, I’m a stickler about the ‘terminology’ as used in the product - to communicate one should use the correct terminology… without it, how can you ever even hope to look something up in the manual?

We imagine that many people get information from questions asked by someone other than themselves, which is a good thing. I do not require any thanks - although it is good to know that something is understood and helps or clarifies a point.

I also thank the others here, who don’t work for Yamaha, who participate and share what they know. That is the real great part of having a community. Sharing knowledge is really special and those who do are an important part of this forum, thanks to you all.

We also recognize that if good/correct information is not provided in a timely fashion, a forum community can quickly turn into a place where nothing happens but “conspiracy theories”, grumpy Gus’s and product haters carry on in paranoid rants about how the manufacturers are plotting to keep music a certain way…
:-)

We know lots of “aha moments” occur here, (that was the goal and reason for participating in the first place)… some of the best discoveries happen when you are not afraid to explore, get lost and ask questions. It helps to even attempt to formulate the question.

They say the only “dumb question” is one you want to ask but don’t. And while some things are simply not possible, either due to product design, or you’re request simply defies gravity and logic, I’ve found that if you don’t limit yourself to working a specific fixed way, you can find new methods that themselves feed your creativity.

Thank you all for participating!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 18, 2013 @ 03:36 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
Bad_Mister - 17 September 2013 07:06 PM

[...]I do not require any thanks - although it is good to know that something is understood and helps or clarifies a point. [...]

I agree - just knowing that the information given was read and found useful (or not :-) ) can be as important as “thanks”.

When there’s no followup reply at all, I sometimes wonder if the person ever came back and read my post, or didn’t find it helpful and gave up, etc. Some “feedback” is good.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 18, 2013 @ 11:22 AM
VikasSharma
Total Posts:  1523
Joined  10-05-2010

As Bad_Mister and 5pinDIN have said, it does feel good to know that something you shared was found useful by others. I think we’ve all benefited in one way or another from the collective knowledge of this forum. Also, as already pointed out, being able to give others some food for thought is as important as being able to provide a solution or a way forward.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 18, 2013 @ 12:54 PM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011

Well...first of all you need to remove me from the ‘expert’ tier, because I am not!

But I do enjoy trying to assist people (Whenever possible) in getting the most out of a machine that I truly appreciate...and have been studying for the two years since I purchased it.

And, it is nice to hear a response from those folks occasionally when they find something to be useful!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 18, 2013 @ 05:55 PM
Michael Trigoboff
Joined  09-05-2011
Bad_Mister - 17 September 2013 07:06 PM

They say the only “dumb question” is one you want to ask but don’t.

That’s what I tell the students in my Computer Science classes. I also tell them that there’s no way to the top of the Mountain of Knowledge that does not pass through the Valley of Stupidity.

In both Computer Science and learning the Motif xf, I’ve spent enough time in the valley that I should probably buy a house there… :-)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 18, 2013 @ 05:57 PM
Michael Trigoboff
Joined  09-05-2011
cmayhle - 18 September 2013 12:54 PM

Well...first of all you need to remove me from the ‘expert’ tier, because I am not!

Well, it does say “Guru” for your status.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 18, 2013 @ 06:22 PM
cmayhle
Joined  10-05-2011
Michael Trigoboff - 18 September 2013 05:57 PM

Well, it does say “Guru” for your status.

HA!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 18, 2013 @ 06:40 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

Labels such as “expert” and “guru” have little to do with level of contribution. Some “experts” contribute little, and “guru” status (conferred by reaching a sufficiently high post count) doesn’t necessarily equate with being knowledgeable and/or willing to share.

Your posts have a high signal-to-noise ratio, cmayhle. I think you’re underestimating your value to the forum.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 18, 2013 @ 07:53 PM
Michael Trigoboff
Joined  09-05-2011
5pinDIN - 18 September 2013 06:40 PM

Your posts have a high signal-to-noise ratio, cmayhle. I think you’re underestimating your value to the forum.

I definitely agree.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 18, 2013 @ 09:49 PM
VikasSharma
Total Posts:  1523
Joined  10-05-2010

Ideally, cmayhle should have been labelled the innovator considering his novel ways of making things work for him. And thanks to him for very generously sharing his new ideas with the forum.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 19, 2013 @ 11:54 AM
jerrydpi
Total Posts:  973
Joined  11-03-2012

I second that emotion!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 19, 2013 @ 07:58 PM
cmayhle
Joined  10-05-2011

Some kind words spoken here, thank you.

Now, let’s get back to the serious business of having some fun with our XF’s!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 20, 2013 @ 11:01 AM
I_Too_Say_So_Long
Total Posts:  728
Joined  09-20-2011

Here’s a thread where I went a little crazy for a minute, or two…
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/462087/

haha! 
I had only been on Motifator a year, had the XF for a year, never owned a DAW, and the iMac was going to arrive in January because the one I had was too old! Never used a usb thumb drive…
THE LIST OF MY INCREDIBLE LEARNING CURVE could go on and on!!

Everyone mentioned at this place had a part to play in my education.
AND I THANK YOU ALL ONCE MORE THIS YEAR 2013!

I’ve had a lot of aliases… “LuckyLouieTheLugnut” was my best work. :)

Image Attachments
anim32.gif
  [ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Midi and Trilian
Next Topic:

SMPL Bank? ››