mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "FireWire vs USB Connection"

Posted on: September 10, 2013 @ 03:56 PM
Michael Trigoboff
Total Posts:  647
Joined  09-05-2011

Just want to check whether my current understanding is correct:

A USB connection allows only MIDI to travel between the PC and the xf (in either direction?).

A FireWire connection allows both MIDI and analog audio (in either direction?).

If there’s anything I’m missing about this, I’d be grateful to find out.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 10, 2013 @ 04:30 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
Michael Trigoboff - 10 September 2013 03:56 PM

Just want to check whether my current understanding is correct:

A USB connection allows only MIDI to travel between the PC and the xf (in either direction?).

Yes, communication using the XF’s USB TO HOST port handles bi-directional MIDI data only.

Michael Trigoboff -

A FireWire connection allows both MIDI and analog audio (in either direction?).

If there’s anything I’m missing about this, I’d be grateful to find out.

Close, but the audio isn’t in analog form. FireWire (IEEE-1394) is a high speed serial bus - signals carried on it are digital.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 10, 2013 @ 06:34 PM
Michael Trigoboff
Total Posts:  647
Joined  09-05-2011
5pinDIN - 10 September 2013 04:30 PM

Close, but the audio isn’t in analog form. FireWire (IEEE-1394) is a high speed serial bus - signals carried on it are digital.

You know, in other parts of my brain I actually could have figured that out. But I didn’t, so I appreciate the information.

So I assume that the FW16E must have some digital format that it uses for audio. Is that some standard? Or do I need to be really careful about which FireWire card I buy for my PC, assuming I figure out that I need FireWire at all?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 11, 2013 @ 03:03 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
Michael Trigoboff - 10 September 2013 06:34 PM

[...] So I assume that the FW16E must have some digital format that it uses for audio. Is that some standard? Or do I need to be really careful about which FireWire card I buy for my PC, assuming I figure out that I need FireWire at all?

Your DAW will handle the audio protocol. As to a FireWire card, Yamaha has a compatibility list, “IEEE1394 (FireWire) Device Information” that can be downloaded.

Here’s one link:
http://download.yamaha.com/api/asset/file/?language=en&site=usa.yamaha.com&asset_id=58595

Some have previously reported more reliable results with cards having TI chipsets than with others.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 18, 2013 @ 09:24 PM
Shaman_Drummer
Total Posts:  4
Joined  10-18-2013

Hi, hope this is OK for this thread…
I used FW for the XF6 to connect to Cubase 7-the VST MOTIF editor & love FW’s full functions.

Due to short audio drop-outs w/MOTIF’s Firewire card & despite tons of research to optimize this, I wish to switch to /from my M-Audio Delta 1010 rack, that allows use of Cubase strips, 12+ hybrid VSTi’s & 10-20 audio channels w/no drop outs.

I want to be able to move back/forth from FW to USB to suit my needs. I’d shutdown the PC & MOTIF to switch the devices/cables & am aware that USB-FW can’t be connected or used simultaneously.

1.) Is it OK to have both drivers installed at the same time?

2.) I read in the driver manuals that I can also use a 2nd (MIDEX-8) USB unit & the MOTIF XF USB together. It said, to remove all USB devices, except the 2nd USB MIDI device & have the (TD-30, Akai S5000) units using the MIDEX turned on while installing the MOTIF XF USB driver?

3.) Can I use the MIDEX-8 & the MOTIF fw driver at the same time? Yamaha support said, “you should be able to"…

4.) Can the MIDEX-8 & the FW driver be used at the same time?

Please excuse details, Thanks much!

NXIC Custom PC
Intel i7 quadcore chipset
MSi P55 GD65 Motherboard
16 GB’s of Ripjaw RAM
3 TB+ of WD/Seagate ROM
Via FW 400 card (3 ext = 1 int)
Dual NVidia graphics cards + 2 20” Samsung Mon’s
Antec 12 Bay Tower, with Liquid cooled CPU; 4 Fans
Windows 7 64 bit Pro

Cubase 6-7.0.6 64 bit
MIDEX-8 New driver
M-Audio Delta 1010 rack 6.0.8 driver

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 18, 2013 @ 10:52 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
Shaman_Drummer - 18 October 2013 09:24 PM

Hi, hope this is OK for this thread…
I used FW for the XF6 to connect to Cubase 7-the VST MOTIF editor & love FW’s full functions.

Due to short audio drop-outs w/MOTIF’s Firewire card & despite tons of research to optimize this, [...]

Welcome to the forum.

Before you tear into things, have you tried what Bad_Mister suggested in a previous thread?:

Bad_Mister - 01 June 2012 10:40 PM

In the Folder that included the “Yamaha Steinberg FW Driver” you will find a subFolder named: YSFW UTILITY.

Run that utility and find the proper CPU load for your computer to handle things. Try the different settings - we are sure you will find one that makes your computer happy.

Let us know.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 19, 2013 @ 12:10 AM
Shaman_Drummer
Total Posts:  4
Joined  10-18-2013

5PinDin....
Thanks very much...I’ll double check, BadMister has been helpful in the past...Great stuff!! SD

[ Ignore ]