mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "firewire-expansion"

Posted on: September 10, 2013 @ 12:20 AM
Vindbaek
Total Posts:  176
Joined  02-21-2009

I have a FireWire expansion card for Motif XS and in this regard there is a small question:
Why are there two ports in the expansioncard? Does it matter whether you use port 1 or 2 when connecting the keyboard to the computer?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 10, 2013 @ 03:00 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Why are there two ports in the expansioncard? Does it matter whether you use port 1 or 2 when connecting the keyboard to the computer?

No, it doesn’t. Just use either one to connect to the computer. Only connect one of them to your computer

Connection with FireWire is often done, and is done in this use-case, as a daisy-chain.

A term that is like a group of children linking hands, one to the next… Do not think of them as separate ‘in’ and ‘out’, because both Input and Output is handled through a single connection. You would only use the other six pin port if linking another compatible device to the computer. Say you wanted to add a Motif-Rack XS w/FW16E to the session, your daisy chain would look like this:

Motif-Rack XS > Motif XS > computer

Even though physically the Rack XS is connected to the XS, in the virtual world of the digital signal, in fact, both devices are connected directly to the computer. There is no processing of the Rack XS signal in the XS, it simply “passes through”, period. The Rack XS signal does not stop, does not collect $200, simply passes through.

The daisy-chain simply is routing/connection convenience. Most computers provide one FW jack, if any. So the ‘intelligent’ daisy-chain is used to connect multiple devices to the computer simultaneously.

One of the differences between old mLAN (which could support 63 devices in a true network) and the new FireWire protocol (which supports 3 devices in addition to the computer)… The new FW protocol is far more practical for musicians in home studios. And doesn’t require a patch bay and degree in engineering. In the old system, and device on the chain could route its signal to any other device on the daisy chain, no limits other than what logic dictated. In the current system each device delivers is sixteen buses of audio directly to the computer.

Hope that helps.
:-)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 10, 2013 @ 03:03 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

FireWire is bi-directional, and the two ports are set up for pass-through so that devices can be daisy-chained. It normally shouldn’t matter which of the ports you use to make the connection.

EDIT: Bad_Mister posted while I was replying.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 10, 2013 @ 03:20 AM
Vindbaek
Joined  02-21-2009

OK - that makes sense - Cool!
I actually have 2 Motif xs with firewire.

That means, if I understand it correctly, that I can connect both my 2 Motif XS (7 and 8) to the computer at the same time, of course using only one sound card. I do not know exactly what it will serve to have both connected to Cubase - but it is possible - that is after all a good start :o)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 10, 2013 @ 03:38 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

The XS8 came equipped with mLAN (mLAN16E2). Does your XS7 also have an mLAN16E2 installed, or is it an FW16E?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 10, 2013 @ 03:48 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

That means, if I understand it correctly, that I can connect both my 2 Motif XS (7 and 8) to the computer at the same time, of course using only one sound card. I do not know exactly what it will serve to have both connected to Cubase - but it is possible - that is after all a good start :o)

Yes. Each Motif XS would deliver sixteen simultaneous audio buses to your computer. Cubase would show 32 Inputs arriving via FW.

The device closest physically to the computer is typically used as the soundcard (the device connected physically to your monitor speakers).

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 10, 2013 @ 04:35 AM
Vindbaek
Joined  02-21-2009

Wow!

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Which software do I need?
Next Topic:

MOTIF XS RACK ››