mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Rack-XS Editor, USB vs. Midi, standalone, CONFUSION!!! :)"

Posted on: September 04, 2013 @ 05:43 PM
buckyswider
Total Posts:  25
Joined  09-02-2013

Hi all, Motif newbie here, old MIDI guy coming out of retirement!

I will be using SONAR X2 Studio on Win7x64 for sequencing.  My MIDI interface is an M-Audio Midiman 4x4 anniversary edition.  My musical gear will be Axiom 61 MKII, SQ80, Proteus 2, Alesis D4, and of course the Motif Rack XS.

Trying to get used to my new gear.  First step, trying to figure out an EdLib for the Motif.  I want to be able to save everything to the PC, with the eventual goal of being able to have a “clone” motif to use as an emergency backup.  Also, I purchase VintageKeys and want to be able to load that up..

Since I’ll be using the MIDI DIN port for Motif I/O, I figured the simplest thing would be to use the Editor over the MIDI DIN.  However, perusing this forum has led me to the conclusion that *only* way to do this is via the USB interface and loading the USB/MIDI driver (I don’t have the firewire card). 

So I loaded the USB/MIDI driver, and installed the “Motif Rack Editor VST”.  However, there’s no executable that installed with the editor- the only thing in the program group is the PDF user manual. 

so first confusion- is there a standalone EdLib type program for this?  I see lots of tutorials for setting up the VST editor in Cubase.  Can’t find much on Sonar.  I’d prefer not to have to use my DAW as my EdLib, but if that’s the only way, I guess I’ll have to figure it out. 

so I guess my first question- *is* there a standalone Editor for Rack XS?

q2- in order to use the editing functions, I *must* use the USB connection??

Thanks!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 04, 2013 @ 05:52 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

so I guess my first question- *is* there a standalone Editor for Rack XS?

Yes. The Motif-Rack XS Editor Standalone/VST Version 1.6.0
http://download.yamaha.com

So I loaded the USB/MIDI driver, and installed the “Motif Rack Editor VST”.

The Motif-Rack was discontinued in 2004
The Motif-Rack ES was discontinued in 2008
You own the Motif-Rack XS, look for an editor for your specific product, which is still current. Yes the letters are important.

q2- in order to use the editing functions, I *must* use the USB connection??

Yes, or the optional FW16E FireWire expansion board. And you will need the Yamaha USB-MIDI driver for your computer type and operating system.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 04, 2013 @ 06:50 PM
buckyswider
Joined  09-02-2013

Excellent, thanks!  I have the standalone version up and communicating.  Now just have to figure out how to use it…

First step:  figure out how to “back up” user data prior to firmware upgrade.  Then, figure out how to upgrade the firmware!

baby steps!!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 05, 2013 @ 02:45 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

We see you are in Pennsylvania, you can call Customer Support 714.522.9000 Mon-Fri, 8:30am-5:00pm Pacific Time… If you need help.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 05, 2013 @ 06:49 AM
buckyswider
Joined  09-02-2013

thanks again, i’m hoping i can muddle through this learning curve with the docs and the interwebs and you fine folks here on motifator!

[ Ignore ]