mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Questions from a Motif Newby"

Posted on: September 02, 2013 @ 12:40 AM
ahafanQ
Total Posts:  1
Joined  09-02-2013

Hi there

I’ve been a Tyros 1 user for the last 9 years, ... time to upgrade, ey? :)
I’m seriously looking at the Motif XF series, but have a couple of questions which I’d like to get answered, please:

1.  On the Tyros 4, there are some really beautiful Super Articulation 2 voices.
Can all the detail and sound of those voices, e.g. thread noises, slides, falls, etc.  be found on the Motif XF?

2.  If the answer to question 1 is a negative, would it be possible to recreate those effects on the voices by using pedals? If so, can you get all the effects as on the Tyros 4, or are those on the Motif limited?

3.  If the answer again is a negative, could it be done using the arpeggiator functions? If so, how accessible is it while playing?
I’ve watched numerous demonstrations on YouTube, but I am blind, so I cannot see where the arp buttons are in respect to the keys on the keyboard. Also, there’s no one in the vicinity of at least 100 miles from where I live, that owns a Motif that I could go check out.

4.  How does the lay-out and operation of the 16 track sequencer on the Motif XF, compare to that on the Tyros?
Is operations such as saving to memory stick, similar to that of the Tyros, or does the Motif have a completely different interface?

5.  Lastly, (for now), how does the sound of the Irish pipes, (or Uilleann Pipes) as well as of the chorus and choir sounds on the Motif XF compare to those on the Tyros 3/4?

Thanks for any and all help/advice/feedback.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 02, 2013 @ 05:55 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

1.  On the Tyros 4, there are some really beautiful Super Articulation 2 voices.
Can all the detail and sound of those voices, e.g. thread noises, slides, falls, etc.  be found on the Motif XF?

No. Super Articulation 2 Voices are unique to the Tyros4 and CVP509/609
The XA Control as found on the Motif XS/XF series stands for Expanded Articulation, and while there are similarities and while the Motifs articulations include string noises, slides, falls, the Super Articulation 2 Voices go far beyond just those.

2.  If the answer to question 1 is a negative, would it be possible to recreate those effects on the voices by using pedals? If so, can you get all the effects as on the Tyros 4, or are those on the Motif limited?

No. There is more to it than pedals, and what Super Articulation 2 is doing is far beyond user programmability - far beyond.

3.  If the answer again is a negative, could it be done using the arpeggiator functions?

No. Arpeggiator functions? Maybe we don’t understand the question. The Tyros4 does not have an arpeggiator.

4.  How does the lay-out and operation of the 16 track sequencer on the Motif XF, compare to that on the Tyros?
Is operations such as saving to memory stick, similar to that of the Tyros, or does the Motif have a completely different interface?

the Motif XF sequencer is a sequencer in that you record tracks sequentially, one after the other, ala Les Paul in nature. The Tyros is based primarily (although not exclusively) as a Song Recorder, in that the sequencer arms all 16 tracks at once and each Part you control has a dedicated track. All tracks go into record together, the two products are so very different, please do your research and purchase the one that suits you. Do not try to make the Motif a Tyros, and do not try to make the Tyros a Motif, discover the differences and decide on one or the other!

5.  Lastly, (for now), how does the sound of the Irish pipes, (or Uilleann Pipes) as well as of the chorus and choir sounds on the Motif XF compare to those on the Tyros 3/4?

Thats totally subjective, and is like asking someone if YOUR shoes fit YOUR feet, you’ll need to form your opinion about that

:-)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 02, 2013 @ 09:07 AM
joesax
Total Posts:  185
Joined  03-11-2009

I have both the Tyros 3 and the Motif XF6. As Bad Mister wrote, they are very different instruments. As a song creation or composition tool the Motif is superior. However there are no voices on the Motif that compare to the Acoustic SA2 voices on the Tyros. It’s the only reason I keep the Tyros. If you want to be inspired to compose as your primary objective and can only have one then get the Motif. If you want to re-create a variety of music styles so you can play or cover your favorites then the Tyros may be the better choice. Also they have very different user interfaces so download and read the manuals.

Joe

[ Ignore ]