mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Foot Controllers default to Maximum problem."

Posted on: August 28, 2013 @ 03:42 AM
kaptainkeyboard
Total Posts:  18
Joined  11-06-2005

I use a Korg Kronos as my master keyboard, MIDI’d out to my Motif XF.
I use 3 x FC7 pedals - 1 for the the kronos and 2 for the XF - all set to control the Volume of my selected sounds.
I could be playing Piano on the Kronos with the pedal set to fade in a String Pad when required, and the Motif XF set up with an additional 2 sounds (eg. Organ and Brass), also set up to fade in as required.
In other words, all sounds are “ Live” but only heard when I choose to bring them into the mix via the pedals.

My problem is the Motif Foot Controllers default to Maximum, and every time I change to the next song (performance), the Motif blasts out at full volume.
I have got into the habit of pulling back on the pedals to silence the Motif before playing anything, however, at my age, sometimes I forget....!! and the result is Not pleasing to the ear.

Is it possible to Silence the Motif after a program change (without using the Faders or AF buttons) and still have ultimate control with the Foot Controllers.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 28, 2013 @ 05:27 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

When a MIDI message called “RESET ALL CONTROLLERS” is sent, all controllers are returned to there default condition. Foot pedals to maximum, MW to minimum, PB to center, etc., etc. any time this message is sent all MIDI devices must respond… It is a MIDI system fail safe.

This is the reason your Foot Controllers seem to jump to maximum… They are being told to do so. Any time you change Programs a Reset message is sent.

So it is completely normal for any device to have its Foot Controller send maximum value when reset. If you would like to keep your controllers “live” when you recall a Program, set the parameter responsible to “HOLD”

Press [UTILITY]
Press [F5] CONTROL
Press [SF2] MIDI
Set CONTROLLER RESET = HOLD
Press [STORE]

This is not a cure all, however. There are still times when the RESET ALL CONTROLLER message is forced through the system, the key as a MIDI performer is “know” when your system is going to be reset so that it is not a “surprise”.

The CONTROLLER RESET = HOLD setting will work as long as you remain within the current mode.
That means, if you are in VOICE mode and you move to any other Voice, if the pedal is at minimum the value will persist through to the next Program. Literally, control values will “hold”.

If you are in PERFORMANCE mode and the Expression pedal is at minimum, move to any other PERFORMANCE and the minimum value will be inherited. This is what you want.

However, switching modes (Voice to Performance, Song to Voice, Pattern to Performance, etc) the RESET will occur. Knowing when the reset will occur - this ceases to be as big a problem.

Another thing to watch out for is arpeggios and sequence data which can send cc011 messages to your active sound - obviously sending a cc message that is assigned to your pedal from an outside source (like the seq or arp) will immediately affect the volume.

Hope that helps… With the Controller Reset parameter and armed with knowing when it works should reduce your surprise volume jumps…

Is it possible to Silence the Motif after a program change (without using the Faders or AF buttons) and still have ultimate control with the Foot Controllers

The other solution is program the Voices you are using to activate in the exact condition you require. That is, if you need a piano/string layer that begins with just the piano, you can program the string Voice you use in the combination so that it is recalled with its volume set at zero. “Knowing” that foot controller pedals will automatically reset to max, you can set up, (using a non-fixed function control change number to control volume), so that the toe down position is minimum for the string Voice. This can be done by setting the DEPTH to a negative value… using FC2(04) set to “volume” and a Depth = -32. Of course now to fade in the strings you rock the pedal towards heel down… this would be the other way to approach the issue.

Please see some of the advanced application tutorials for programming tips and tricks.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 28, 2013 @ 07:15 AM
anotherscott
Total Posts:  653
Joined  06-30-2010

In general, if you want your XF to always be at the volume your pedal is at, there is a simple “low tech” solution… Instead of using an FC7, just put a plain analog volume control on the output of your XF. Something like a Boss FV-500L would probably work well.

This has the added benefit of freeing up the foot controller for other purposes. (That’s especially useful on a lower end instrument like a MOX, which only has one foot controller input, and no aftertouch… you can use your foot pedal to introduce modulation to your right hand lead sound without having to let go of your left hand supporting sound, without having to sacrifice having a volume pedal.)

However, this does not normally allow you to selectively bring up one XF instrument without the other, which is your particular application. A possible fix for that would be to make use of the assignable outs to separate your sounds (or, if you’re playing mono, pan the sounds hard left or right,the only way to do this on a model without assignable outs) and then use separate pedals for each.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 28, 2013 @ 10:27 AM
kaptainkeyboard
Joined  11-06-2005

Thanks for your response guys.

I tried the “Hold” option a while back on my Motif ES, however, I was getting some strange results, and I have now set my XF to the “Hold” option, and I’m still getting some weird stuff happening

If I fade Out both Foot Controllers at the end of one song and change the program, the New Program responds as expected (both sounds assigned to each Controller are silent, and I can fade them in as required) on “Some” but not “All” my Programs.

At this point I should tell you how my Foot Controllers are set up in Utility mode:-
FC1 = 11 Expression
FC2 = 4 Foot Control.

The Programs that do Not work for me respond as follows:-
FC1 Epression works fine in all programs and as expected.
FC2 Foot Controll, however will not respond to any movement on the pedal.

If I set the FC1 Expression Pedal to Full On at the end of the previous song, FC2 responds as expected .
If I set the FC1 Expression Pedal to Half Way at the end of the previous song, FC2 responds, but only gives me half the output level - or whatever level FC1 was at before I changed Programs.

PS. Both Foot Controllers still work independently at this point.

Clearly, the FC1 Pedal is influencing the output of FC2.
I have checked the Voices I use in a couple of the Program’s and cannot find the problem.
In Voice Mode - Ctrl Set page, I have set FootCtrl2 to Volume - Depth + 32 (I have noticed, however, that Element Switch 1 is inactive...?) and set the Voice Output Level to zero.

I am an old guy with a sore head right now....HELP.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 28, 2013 @ 10:53 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

At this point I should tell you how my Foot Controllers are set up in Utility mode:-
FC1 = 11 Expression
FC2 = 4 Foot Control.

The Programs that do Not work for me respond as follows:-
FC1 Epression works fine in all programs and as expected.
FC2 Foot Controll, however will not respond to any movement on the pedal.

the FC1 which sends Expression is a fixed function control number, these means it will always control musical volume (expression)… Always, it is fixed.

The FC2 which send cc004 Foot Control, it does not have a fixed function - you assign it to any one of 101 parameter Destinations within a VOICE…

So when you say FC2 will not respond to any movement on the pedal, this is because it is not assigned to do anything within the VOICE. Foot Controller cc004 is like Modulation Wheel cc001, it does not have a function until you program into do one.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 28, 2013 @ 11:29 AM
kaptainkeyboard
Joined  11-06-2005
Bad_Mister - 28 August 2013 10:53 AM

the FC1 which sends Expression is a fixed function control number, these means it will always control musical volume (expression)… Always, it is fixed.

The FC2 which send cc004 Foot Control, it does not have a fixed function - you assign it to any one of 101 parameter Destinations within a VOICE…

So when you say FC2 will not respond to any movement on the pedal, this is because it is not assigned to do anything within the VOICE. Foot Controller cc004 is like Modulation Wheel cc001, it does not have a function until you program into do one.

I have FC2 assigned to Volume as per the later part of my post.

I think I will sleep on ths and reverse engineer the Voices within the Performances that actually work and see what’s on.

[ Ignore ]