mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Buying a Motif XF at this point"

Page 1 of 2
Posted on: August 06, 2013 @ 06:54 PM
djnoah
Total Posts:  42
Joined  05-05-2008

Hi guys,

after years and years of browsing through your forums, finally decided to make a post and give thanks to Bad_mister for all his good posts..

and i have a question .. Would you suggest buying a motif XF at this point of time? esp when its 3 years after release of XF and new one may be around the corner?

DO i settle for a used MOX8/6 coming at around $1000USD
Or get the Motif XF ?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 06, 2013 @ 07:42 PM
Masterve
Total Posts:  4
Joined  06-05-2012

I will sell you my motif xf 61 with 512 upgrade memory
Anaversery. Pack and fire wire card for 1600

I live in New Mexico
Albuquerque

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 06, 2013 @ 10:17 PM
djnoah
Joined  05-05-2008

Hi Masterve,

I dont live in the US.. but from the looks of it you are looking to upgrade the xf ?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 07, 2013 @ 06:56 AM
Mr Trier
Total Posts:  14
Joined  03-02-2013

New boards are coming all the time…

I always try to buy things that I really, really like. Wether it’s musicstuff or furniture. If you really, really like it and it’s of good quality (soundwise and build-wise) you can use it for a long time.

I still use a Roland D-50 on stage for example. Excellent build quality and some of the sounds are wonderful. The D-50 was released in 1987! (Have cleaned it a couple of times but other than that it works fine).

I also have an S90ES (released in 2005) and I love it. That’s my main instrument.

Last I have an XF wich also is very, very good and I believe that I’ll use this setup for many more years to come.

Why not buy a slightly used XF. A bargain!

Good luck!

//Mr Trier

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 07, 2013 @ 07:03 AM
synthlogic
Total Posts:  481
Joined  11-13-2008
Mr Trier - 07 August 2013 06:56 AM

I still use a Roland D-50 on stage for example. Excellent build quality and some of the sounds are wonderful. The D-50 was released in 1987! (Have cleaned it a couple of times but other than that it works fine).

I can say from experience that the D-50 was one of the best-built synths I ever used. Excellent keybed as well, and not too heavy for gigging! I do miss it sometimes.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 07, 2013 @ 07:21 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

after years and years of browsing through your forums, finally decided to make a post and give thanks to Bad_mister for all his good posts..

and i have a question .. Would you suggest buying a motif XF at this point of time? esp when its 3 years after release of XF and new one may be around the corner?

DO i settle for a used MOX8/6 coming at around $1000USD
Or get the Motif XF ?

You’re very welcome.

You don’t say what you wish to accomplish. The Motif XF features expansion opportunities that are of interest to those wishing to do more serious recording. The FireWire expansion means you can turn the Motif XF into a high powered centerpiece to your home studio, with ultimate flexibility when it comes to routing PARTs to tracks. The “F” in XF is for Flash. You can stave off obsolescence because the Flash option allows you to add new Waveform data and keep current when sound trends change. Flash means you can build an unlimited library of sounds.

Both the Motif XF and the MOX feature a great sound engine. It would be a shame to buy something you are not going to utilize. No one here can tell what to buy without knowing what it is YOU personally want to accomplish.

How could they? Down to the difference between 88 weighted keys versus 61 synth action keys… Which one are you going to like? I can’t tell you, no one who responds here can tell you… It comes down to YOU and your likes, your goals, what you want to accomplish.

Worried about something new coming… You’d never buy anything that way. Don’t get that iPhone 5, you know there will be an iPhone 6 in a couple of months. Why buy that iPhone 6, you know the iPhone 7 is right behind it… Why buy that iPhone 7.... Then you die (sorry)… Wanted the punchline to have punch.

Waiting is just silly… If you are truly worried about this, visit your local music store and talk with the owner… Tell them of your concern. If you work with them they maybe able to ensure you a great trade-up deal if/when you want to trade in… This type of relationship is what you can do face-to-face with your local music store. They don’t have to be friendly but more often than not, if they perceive you as a steady customer, most take care of their repeat customers. (Anyway that has been my experience in this business).

Get what appeals to you. Want sampling and recording… Expandability. And computer connectivity… You can’t beat the Motif XF.
Don’t need expansion, not worried about new trending sounds, but still want recording and computer connectivity, you can’t beat the MOX.

Hope that helps.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 07, 2013 @ 10:46 AM
joesax
Total Posts:  185
Joined  03-11-2009

I own a Motif XF and I can tell you it is a fantastic creative tool. If you want to create new music there is nothing better. However you will not really appreciate it’s capabilities until you have spent some time with it. It continues to amaze me everyday and I have had it for a while. Just get it now and start learning how to harness it’s power. You can always trade it in on the next iteration but you probably won’t since there is so much to learn. And with FLASH memory so much to add. I haven’t even got to adding FLASH yet but plan to soon.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 10, 2013 @ 05:44 AM
claygaganuga
Total Posts:  1
Joined  08-07-2013

I just ordered one Motif XF8.

I hope it will last for the next 10 years as it has almost everything that I need!

Only the weight is a minus point but not find an equal board as the XF and has to decide now.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 11, 2013 @ 06:37 AM
djnoah
Joined  05-05-2008

Guys,,Thank you for your valuable inputs..definitely thought provoking..

and especially Bad_mister

I have a question however.. if the F for flash is gonna guard the future, Yamaha’s file format and file architecture will always be a hurdle when upgrading.  storage space does not translate to new sounds/performances that are going to be in the next motif version.. am i right ?. we can only load the performances created by 3rd party and not the ones by Yamaha which they will send on the new motif xf++

am i right ?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 11, 2013 @ 07:53 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

No. You’re not. Not that I’m sure I know what you are saying.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 11, 2013 @ 02:17 PM
jerrydpi
Total Posts:  973
Joined  11-03-2012
Bad_Mister - 07 August 2013 07:21 AM

Don’t need expansion, not worried about new trending sounds, but still want recording and computer connectivity, you can’t beat the MOX.

Hope that helps.

Bad_Mister,

The XF was introduced in 2010, and the MOX was introduced in 2011, so how can the MOX not have new trending sounds?

Thanks!

PS

Please give an example of, and also define, some of the “new trending sounds”.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 11, 2013 @ 02:40 PM
jerrydpi
Joined  11-03-2012
djnoah - 11 August 2013 06:37 AM

Guys,,Thank you for your valuable inputs..definitely thought provoking..

and especially Bad_mister

I have a question however.. if the F for flash is gonna guard the future, Yamaha’s file format and file architecture will always be a hurdle when upgrading.  storage space does not translate to new sounds/performances that are going to be in the next motif version.. am i right ?. we can only load the performances created by 3rd party and not the ones by Yamaha which they will send on the new motif xf++

am i right ?

Bad_Mister - 11 August 2013 07:53 AM

No. You’re not. Not that I’m sure I know what you are saying.

What djnoah is saying is that whatever the next MOTIF version is, the XF will not be able to play its new sounds.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 11, 2013 @ 03:40 PM
moxrox
Total Posts:  440
Joined  11-28-2011

The XF was introduced in 2010, and the MOX was introduced in 2011, so how can the MOX not have new trending sounds?

Thanks!

First, a point of clarification.  While the MOX was released in 2011, it has the same sounds as the XS, which was released on 2007.

I believe what Bad_Mister was referring to was that the MOX, unlike the XF, does not have the ability to create or add new samples, so you are limited to the samples in the ROM.

As for what is trending, an example of two instruments that seem to be growing in popularity just since 2007 (around the time the XS/MOX samples were created) are the banjo and the mandolin, at least in the alt rock genre.  The MOX does not have a mandolin sound at all, and only a single GM voice for banjo.  On the XF, you can add these sounds; on the MOX, you cannot.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 12, 2013 @ 06:45 AM
djnoah
Joined  05-05-2008

So that concludes that its worth getting an XF in august 2013 is still not a bad idea?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 12, 2013 @ 11:52 AM
jerrydpi
Joined  11-03-2012

Even if a new model were out, buying a XF now would still be a GREAT idea (not to mention the GREAT lower price you’d be able to buy one for)!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 12, 2013 @ 03:12 PM
moxrox
Total Posts:  440
Joined  11-28-2011

I second what jerrydpi said!

[ Ignore ]  

Page 1 of 2

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Sound of Motif XF vs S90ES
Next Topic:

sampling to initialized kit ››