mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "pattern mode track effects"

Posted on: August 02, 2013 @ 03:56 AM
waderck
Total Posts:  57
Joined  06-20-2013

One thing I’m trying to wrap my head around(been reading the reference manual, watching tutorials and missing this..)

If I am working primarily in pattern mode for ...
what is the efficient route to pull up, add, tweak effects to each track.  I see how to do this in voice mode, but once in pattern mode, seems difficult to find.

So, say I have a drum track on track one(how do I quickly add distortion), and then on track 2/bass, (pull up a compressor), etc.

Also, when does one actually save something to master?
Like if I have a pattern with tracks I normally go to, save that as a master setup?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 02, 2013 @ 04:35 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36648
Joined  07-30-2002

One thing I’m trying to wrap my head around(been reading the reference manual, watching tutorials and missing this..)

First, we’ll point out possibly why you might be missing this. terminology. MIDI “Tracks” contain coded messages that can instruct the tone generator set to receive its data what to do. You can send coded messages to control, in realtime, the amount of effect and in the case of an Insert Effect you can assign control over certain select parameters.

But if you want to assign an effect to a “Voice”, Effects are not assigned to the TRACK, they are assigned to the instrument (what Yamaha calls a Voice). Now I only mention this so that you get usedto looking in the right place.

When you are in PATTERN mode and you directly press [EDIT] you will see MIDI events on the track
However if you press [MIXING] you have access to the XF tone engine… This is where you can assign and access the EFFECTS.

You arrive at a view of a Mixer… (with 16 MIDI inputs, [F1] PART 1-16, and two stereo audio channels, one stereo analog, the other stereo digital FW [F2] AUDIO). Notice the items available on each channel strip… A fader, the Insert FX Switch (you can activate it on any eight PARTS, excluding the FW), the Pan pot, two Auxiliary Sends - one to the Reverb, the other to a time delay (Chorus) processor, and above that the Bank/Number and Category of the Voice assigned to that PART… times 16 internal PARTS and 2 audio PARTS.

If I am working primarily in pattern mode for ...
what is the efficient route to pull up, add, tweak effects to each track.  I see how to do this in voice mode, but once in pattern mode, seems difficult to find.

Okay, cool, you understand and see how you can do this in Voice mode… So here’s how you can add a distortion to your drum kit while in PATTERN > MIXING mode:

On the MIXING view select the PART [1]-[16] that contains your Drum Kit
Make sure there is a red checkmark on the INS FX SW row… Indicating you want to have this PART access Insertion Effects. Only 8 red checks can appear so you may need to deactivate it on another Part.
Once the INS FX SW is marked, press [F6] VCE EDIT (Voice Edit)

This drops you into full Voice Edit on the selected Drum Kit. Editing now is just as it was in Voice mode…
You can assign two Insert Effects
Press [COMMON EDIT] to view Common parameters for the drum kit
Press [F6] EFFECT
Press [SF1] CONNECT

Here you can select any two Insert Effects for the Drum Kit ... Also notice in the upper left corner you can select any of the 73 individual Drums “KEY OUT” and route each to one or the other of the Insert Effects....

Since routing is on a per drum basis, you can select which drums go to the distortion and which do not.
I highly recommend two things:
1_ Study a drum kit that already has Distortion assigned and learn from the routing in that Voice… For example, if activate the INS FX Switch on the drum kit PART and assign the Kit: PDR 039 Distorted Kit as you recall a KEY… You do so by holding [SF6] KBD while highlighting the KEY OUT parameter… As you touch a Key you can see how each drum can be routed either to the AMP SIMULATOR, or to the CLASSIC COMPRESSOR, or to neither.

2_ download and read the section on Drum Kit routing in the article/tutorial Drum track Construction Tools - although written for the XS it applies in full to the XF.

Once you have completed editing the Drum Kit Voice press [STORE]
The XF will offer you one of 32 USER DRUM kit locations for this newly edited Kit. Storing the kit will automatically assign this UDR kit to your MIXING setup.

So, say I have a drum track on track one(how do I quickly add distortion), and then on track 2/bass, (pull up a compressor), etc.

PARTs containing Normal (non-drum kit) Voices work the same way.

Also, when does one actually save something to master?

When you need to access different programs from different modes one after the other. you can put whatever you need to recall in order so it is quick and easy to get to you next setup be it a single Voice, a Performance, a Song or a Pattern.

Also when Peter you are using your XF as a Master MIDI keyboard controller. It can organize its own data and data for your external devices. There are 8 Zones in Master mode - meaning you can transmit on as many as 8 MIDI channels simultaneously from the XF keyboard.

Like if I have a pattern with tracks I normally go to, save that as a master setup?

Why?

Hope that helps.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 02, 2013 @ 05:25 AM
waderck
Total Posts:  57
Joined  06-20-2013

Bad Mister.. once again, thanks for the help, and detailed explanation.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Motif XF browsing
Next Topic:

Create Split Performance On The Fly? ››