mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Stagepas 500 distortion"

Posted on: July 29, 2013 @ 07:12 PM
richie1027
Total Posts:  686
Joined  10-14-2008

I’m bummed.  This system is 17 months old.  Warranty is 12 months.  I’ts mostly home use, but I have taken out the main speaker/mixer as a monitor to some gigs.

Noticed at a wedding this weekend a fair amount of cracking and unclear sound.  My descriptive powers are lost with this but it reminded me of tears in speakers when younger.  I never “blew” a PA speaker and don’t really knoe what it means.  Here’s what I tried:

Tested at home with several different cables.  Problem continued.
Made sure the Level was in the green with volume and that I wasn’t peaking out, and it still was distorted. I also removed the grill an visually inspected.  No visible tears.

I read about cones, driers, etc on other forums and am asking what you’d suggest or any tips on how to determine the extent of the problem

If it is indeed a bad speaker, am I locked nto a genuine yamaha product for replacement or would other 10” comprables work?  It’s out of warranty so that’s a moot issue.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 29, 2013 @ 07:23 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

What makes me so very nervous is when you say you tried several different cables without specifying whether the cables were signal cables or speaker cables and where you applied each type.

No mention of the meter during your crackling - this can often tell you all you need to know.

Can you describe better what you are doing?

Speaker cables mus be used between the mixer and the StagePas500 speakers.
Signal cable is used to connect instruments to the mixer.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 29, 2013 @ 08:00 PM
richie1027
Joined  10-14-2008
Bad_Mister - 29 July 2013 07:23 PM

What makes me so very nervous is when you say you tried several different cables without specifying whether the cables were signal cables or speaker cables and where you applied each type.

No mention of the meter during your crackling - this can often tell you all you need to know.

Can you describe better what you are doing?

Speaker cables mus be used between the mixer and the StagePas500 speakers.
Signal cable is used to connect instruments to the mixer.

Will try....and don’t be nervous. 

I tried 3 different speaker cables.  I also switched cables from L to R speakers.  The problem continued with crackling noise with same speaker.  I tried one more new speaker cable and no change. 

As far as signal cables.  When I was gigging out, I used a Korg keyboard.  The signal cables went into the stagepas inputs with the small keyboard above them

At home I plugged the motif signal cables into the set of stagepas mixer inputs that were different (and also with the same inputs that I used at the gig).  The speaker noise continued.

You said I had no mention of the meter?
Is that different from what I typed ----- “Made sure the Level was in the green with volume and that I wasn’t peaking out”.  Apologies if that was cryptic.  Not always able to recall the precise audio terms

Please let me know and thank you

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 29, 2013 @ 08:48 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

No, my bad… Didn’t see the the reference to the levels… Sorry.

How far is the individual channel gain set… Are you much beyond 1 or 2 o’clock on the individual channel?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 29, 2013 @ 08:54 PM
richie1027
Joined  10-14-2008

:30 - 1 I’ll Chk a reply in a.m. In case your still replying this eve.  Thanks for looking into it Phil.  This has been a fine piece of equipment. 

problem resolved for now.  operator error somewhere along the way.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 01, 2013 @ 05:43 AM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

If you do have a problem please call Yamaha Customer Service.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ using a tv sound bar for on stage monitoring foldback
Next Topic:

DXR8 VS QSC8? ››