mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "sustained midi notes in cubase 7"

Posted on: July 03, 2013 @ 10:23 AM
cloud777
Total Posts:  181
Joined  06-04-2004

Hi im using my motif xs with midi cables connected to a midi interface, and using cubase 7 as the sequancer.
Is it normal that i get sustained notes, i have to reset midi everytime from cubase?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 03, 2013 @ 10:48 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

No, it is not normal. Normally notes should sustain only when you command them to by holding down the keys, or pressing a Sustain pedal plugged into the dedicated Sustain Pedal jack.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 03, 2013 @ 10:55 AM
cloud777
Joined  06-04-2004

So what could i do to fix this? I have local turned off on the motif xs

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 03, 2013 @ 01:20 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

Sorry we really don’t have enough information about your system. But the problem is definite a matter of your MIDI routing. Working with a sustain pedal and recording its MIDI data requires a bit of care.

MIDI is not sound. MIDI is a series of coded messages that represent the sound of a musical performance. But MIDI itself, makes no sound. So say you have your foot on the sustain pedal, and then you press record on your sequencer. The sound you hear will sustain, but what gets recorded will not be accurate.

Because you never documented the Sustain ON command (cc064=127), when you play it back that first chord will not sustain. And in a similar manner, if you stop recording before you lift you foot off the sustain pedal, the last notes sounding will remain hung up in limbo.

Therefore, it requires care when attempting to record with the sustain pedal, any gestures you make with the pedal that are before actual recording begins, or after recording stops, are always going to cause problems.

Look at the Event list of your sequencer, make sure cc064 ON and OFF messages reflect what you want.

Hope that helps.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 03, 2013 @ 07:21 PM
cloud777
Joined  06-04-2004
Bad_Mister - 03 July 2013 01:20 PM

Sorry we really don’t have enough information about your system. But the problem is definite a matter of your MIDI routing. Working with a sustain pedal and recording its MIDI data requires a bit of care.

MIDI is not sound. MIDI is a series of coded messages that represent the sound of a musical performance. But MIDI itself, makes no sound. So say you have your foot on the sustain pedal, and then you press record on your sequencer. The sound you hear will sustain, but what gets recorded will not be accurate.

Because you never documented the Sustain ON command (cc064=127), when you play it back that first chord will not sustain. And in a similar manner, if you stop recording before you lift you foot off the sustain pedal, the last notes sounding will remain hung up in limbo.

Therefore, it requires care when attempting to record with the sustain pedal, any gestures you make with the pedal that are before actual recording begins, or after recording stops, are always going to cause problems.

Look at the Event list of your sequencer, make sure cc064 ON and OFF messages reflect what you want.

Hope that helps.

Hi , i dont have a sustain pedal, so it cant be that....

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 03, 2013 @ 08:03 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

It seems you’re describing “stuck” or “hung” MIDI notes. Those happen when a tone generator receives a “note on” message, but never the corresponding “note off”. There are various ways that can happen.

Knowing more about your system might be helpful. Your member profile is devoid of data, such as what computer OS you’re using.

In the meantime, this thread, although a bit contentious, might provide some insight:
https://www.steinberg.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=203821

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 04, 2013 @ 12:02 AM
cloud777
Joined  06-04-2004

HI yes your right Stuck midi notes,also i must mention say for example i make a record midi on track 1 then record on track 2 it will cut off what i played in track 1, i am in multi mode on the motif(pattern mode) local is turned off and midi is set to midi and im running a mac , os lion 16gb ram
i dont have this notes cutting off noted thing when playing in logic but i do get stuck notes on logic too.
let me know what i could do?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 04, 2013 @ 04:12 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

Do the stuck or cut-off notes occur in the middle of a sequence, or does that happen only with notes at the end of a sequence?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 04, 2013 @ 04:49 AM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

Change your MIDI cables… It’s been so long since I’ve actually used a 5-pin MIDI cable to communicate with a computer… Length can be a problem, any adapters (extension) can be a problem, even, a crimped cable can cause issues.

Even without a sustain pedal how you play can cause hung notes… Since holding the keys down with your fingers is exactly the same as using a sustain pedal, everything I mentioned applies.

Hold a chord before going into record, it will not be documented by the sequencer, let a chord or note go after you have stopped, and there is no documentation of note-off.

Hung note can also be a problem with you software. Check you MIDI PREFERENCES, if you have it “chasing event” this can cause a bottleneck when pressing play, I’ve seen this cause hung notes… It varies greatly with the data involved.

If, for example, it always seems to happen at measure 1, select all the tracks, drag them so the song begins at measure 2.

Is connecting via USB not possible?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 04, 2013 @ 10:04 AM
cloud777
Joined  06-04-2004
5pinDIN - 04 July 2013 04:12 AM

Do the stuck or cut-off notes occur in the middle of a sequence, or does that happen only with notes at the end of a sequence?

i get stuck notes in a middle of a sequence.
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 04, 2013 @ 10:07 AM
cloud777
Joined  06-04-2004
Bad_Mister - 04 July 2013 04:49 AM

Change your MIDI cables… It’s been so long since I’ve actually used a 5-pin MIDI cable to communicate with a computer… Length can be a problem, any adapters (extension) can be a problem, even, a crimped cable can cause issues.

Even without a sustain pedal how you play can cause hung notes… Since holding the keys down with your fingers is exactly the same as using a sustain pedal, everything I mentioned applies.

Hold a chord before going into record, it will not be documented by the sequencer, let a chord or note go after you have stopped, and there is no documentation of note-off.

Hung note can also be a problem with you software. Check you MIDI PREFERENCES, if you have it “chasing event” this can cause a bottleneck when pressing play, I’ve seen this cause hung notes… It varies greatly with the data involved.

If, for example, it always seems to happen at measure 1, select all the tracks, drag them so the song begins at measure 2.

Is connecting via USB not possible?

i did cables around with new ones, still stuck also its cutting notes from other tracks, ill try to find if i can do chace notes in cubase 7

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 04, 2013 @ 11:42 AM
cloud777
Joined  06-04-2004

Ok i did more tests with other daws like logic pro, for some reason it works better in logic, everytime i press stop in logic i think it resets midi, but when in cubase 7 i also discoverd that when for example recording paino on track 1 then i try to play on track 2 or record the notes stop playing when i stop playing on track 2 all notes will play…
Im going nuts here, is there a tech support i call call?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 04, 2013 @ 04:42 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ XS8 to Cubase 6 via Firewire connection
Next Topic:

XS Remote and Pro Tools ››