mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "MOX8: inquiry on loading individual voices."

Page 1 of 3
Posted on: June 30, 2013 @ 02:10 PM
Shawshank
Total Posts:  17
Joined  06-17-2013

Greetings,

I just purchased a new Yamaha MOX8 and 2 voice libraries from Playkeyz:

♪ 80s Pop/Rock Soundset Volume 1

♪ 80s Pop/Rock Soundset Volume 2

The following ALL data files are what were sent to me via e-mail:

80sPR_ONE.X4A

80sPR_TWO.X4A

If I change the TYPE to Voice, arrow over to the right to 80SPOP~1.I, press ENTER, press enter again while 80SPR_~1.X4A is highlighted, select USER 1 (the location where I would like to load the individual voices) and then press enter, I see 0 voices listed on the right-hand side of the screen? On the left-hand side of the screen I see USR1:001(A01) and beneath that, the name of the voice: [Everlasting G].

Is the reason why I am not seeing and/or are able to select any of the voices from the 80s Pop/Rock Soundset Volume 1, because the file is an ALL data file and not an ALL VOICE (.X4V) file?

Interestingly, for either of the two files when I change their TYPE to All and press [SF1], it loads the selected library to the USR3 bank. However, if I set the file TYPE to 1BankVoice, select one of the two files on the right, and press ENTER, I then see USER 1, USER 2, USER 3, and USER DRUM as the options in the screen. 

I see that USER 3 has a little black arrow next to it (pointing left), so I select that as the bank I want to load from the 80s PR Soundset. I now select the internal USER bank (USR 1) I want to use to store the voices, but once it’s highlighted and I press [SF1] exec to load, nothing happens? Each time I press [SF1] the right-hand side of the screen briefly flashes and again, nothing happens?

I am somewhat puzzled as to what exactly I am doing wrong in trying to load individual voices from either of these two libraries. In closing, any help would be so very much appreciated!

Thanks,

Andy

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 30, 2013 @ 04:52 PM
stoneb3
Total Posts:  851
Joined  06-05-2011

These load by default to user 3. Set type to voice, highlight the file, press enter, press user 3. You should see the contents of that file. Select your voice, set target destination and load.

Stone

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 30, 2013 @ 06:24 PM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011
Andy Dufresne - 30 June 2013 02:10 PM

...I am somewhat puzzled as to what exactly I am doing wrong in trying to load individual voices from either of these two libraries. In closing, any help would be so very much appreciated!

Thanks,

Andy

Andy Dufresne, while the machine is perfectly capable on it’s own to LOAD individual VOICES...and stoneb3 has provided assistance to you there...as you get deeper into multiple Libraries and the huge selection of VOICES available, you might want to look into the John Melas Total Librarian for ease in constructing, editing, LOADING, and organizing your favorite VOICES and BANKS of VOICES.

For the modest Dollars (Euros) that this software tool costs, many of us have found it to be completely useful (even indispensable) for these purposes, and it is available for the MOX at the link provided.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 30, 2013 @ 06:55 PM
Shawshank
Joined  06-17-2013

Hi Stone,

I appreciate the quick reply. Something strange…

If I follow your exact directions for the Vintage Keys library that I also have, I am able to both see and load individual voices from that particular library. However, for the 80s Pop/Rock Soundsets Volumes 1 & 2, nothing shows up when I press User 3, i.e., I see none of the contents of either of the two files.

I am not sure why I can see the contents of the Vintage Keys file but not the contents of the Soundsets? All three files have a .X4A extensions:

80sPR_ONE.X4A

80sPR_TWO.X4A

VKEYS.X4A

Again, I am able to load the ALL file of each 80s Soundset to my USR3 bank, so I know all of the voices are there and playable; but I just cannot see each voice to load them separately into my desired banks.

I know when I purchased the LEADS! library from Playkeyz, I received these instructions via e-mail:

“Attached is the .X0A file for the MOX synth. To load, please use the software that came with the synth, or download the software at http://www.yamahasynth.com. Please save the attached file to your computer and load the file via the software.”

Is it possible that I may also need to use the software to load individual voices from these two Soundset libraries?

Thanks again,

Andy

PS: I have not yet attempted to load the LEADS! library or installed any of the required software. I want to put out one fire first before battling another!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 01, 2013 @ 05:44 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Again, to see the individual Voices use the folders: [USER 1], [USER 2], [USER 3], and [USER DR] that appear in the screen in the right side Directory… Here’s how:

From VOICE mode
Press [FILE]
Press [F3] LOAD
Set the File TYPE = voice
Initially you will see the four Folders (Banks) of Voices included in the file: [USER1], [USER 2], [USER 3], and [USER DR]. To view the contents of each Folder, highlight it and press [ENTER]

The list of Voices in that bank will be shown. If the VOICES you want are in, say, USER 3, then you would highlight the [USER 3] Folder and press [ENTER] to view the 128 individual Voices in the File’s USER 3.

Scroll down the list to find a Voice you wish to Load. After entering a folder you exit from it back a level by pressing the [EXIT] button… This will return you to viewing the four Folder/Banks. Now you can select a different Folder/Bank and select another Voice.

Move the Cursor highlight to the LEFT and set the internal target location - the MOX will show you what data is currently occupying the target location… So you know what you are getting ready to overwrite in your internal USER bank.

When the screen is properly setup you can see the selected Voice on the right side, the target destination on the left.

When you have located where you would like to put this Voice, press [SF1] EXEC to execute the Load.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 01, 2013 @ 08:18 AM
Shawshank
Joined  06-17-2013

cmayhle: Thanks a lot for that software recommendation as well as the link! I will definitely be looking into that in the near future.

Bad_Mister: I really appreciate your reply, and I followed your directions step-by-step. Unfortunately, I am still unable to view any of the voices from either of the two 80s Pop/Rock Soundsets.

I have attached a picture of 4 screen captures: the first 3 pictures are in reference to the directions I followed in loading individual voices from the 80s Pop/Rock Soundset Volume 1. The 4th picture is of me following the exact same directions for the Vintage Keys library, but how I am able to both see and Load all of the voices from that particular library.

* Please note: that while attempting to Load the 80s Soundsets, I receive that same blank screen on the right when I press Enter on either of the three USER banks—1, 2, or 3.

In anxious anticipation,

Andy

Image Attachments
MOX8 Individual Voices.jpg
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 01, 2013 @ 03:07 PM
stoneb3
Joined  06-05-2011

Try loading an 80’s set as an all file, give it a distinct name, save it, then see if you can access the data of the newly saved file when the type is set to voice.

Stone

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 01, 2013 @ 04:22 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

The VintageKeys library is properly prepared - and I guess therefore loads properly.

I am not familiar with the 80’s Pop/Rock Soundset… sorry, can’t imagine what they might have done. Was it originally a .X4A file or did someone change the extension?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 01, 2013 @ 05:00 PM
Shawshank
Joined  06-17-2013

stoneb3: Just tried, and unfortunately I was unable to.

Bad_Mister: Both of the Soundsets did in fact arrive to me via e-mail as .X4A files:

♪ 80sPR_ONE.X4A

♪ 80sPR_TWO.X4A

Quick question . . . and to echo a mushrooming of other memebers: “Sorry if this has already been discussed somewhere else on here!”

Q: I can load both of the 80s Soundsets—separately—as an All FILE to my USER 3 bank. After loading Volume 1 to USER bank 3, I then relocated/saved some of the voices from that set to my USER 1 bank, and had success. I then, however, loaded the Volume 2 set to my USER 3 bank; and in doing so, that fistful of Volume 1 voices I had saved in various locations throughout my USER 1 bank, immediately disappeared and were replaced with the previous factory voices.

Is there anyway around this, i.e., loading 1 voice library to USER bank 3, moving some of those voices around to other USER banks (1 and/or 2), and then not having them go Casper when loading another voice library in USER bank 3?

Thanks,

Andy

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 01, 2013 @ 05:41 PM
stoneb3
Joined  06-05-2011

Bad files. Not behaving properly. Contact Playkeyz.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 01, 2013 @ 05:43 PM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011
Shawshank - 01 July 2013 05:00 PM

...I can load both of the 80s Soundsets—separately—as an All FILE to my USER 3 bank. After loading Volume 1 to USER bank 3, I then relocated/saved some of the voices from that set to my USER 1 bank, and had success. I then, however, loaded the Volume 2 set to my USER 3 bank; and in doing so, that fistful of Volume 1 voices I had saved in various locations throughout my USER 1 bank, immediately disappeared and were replaced with the previous factory voices.

Is there anyway around this, i.e., loading 1 voice library to USER bank 3, moving some of those voices around to other USER banks (1 and/or 2), and then not having them go Casper when loading another voice library in USER bank 3?

Thanks,

Shawshank

When you LOAD an “ALL FILE to my USER 3 bank”, you must keep in mind that you are not only LOADING to USER BANK 3, you are also LOADING all of the other BANKS with their place-holder VOICES, which are usually the Factory VOICES by default.

In order to truly LOAD only what is in USER BANK 3, you must select 1BankVoice as your FILE type when you do the LOAD...instead of ALL as the FILE type...as you are doing now. 

This allows you to select BANK 3 of the SOURCE file, and LOAD it alone to the DESTINATION BANK you choose on the machine (User BANK 3 if that is where you want it to go).  Otherwise, you will be overwriting all of the BANKS.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 01, 2013 @ 06:58 PM
Shawshank
Joined  06-17-2013

stoneb3: I just sent Rick at Playkeyz an e-mail.

cmayhle: Thank you so much for your insight—makes total sense.

Everyone:

When I set the FILE to 1BankVoice and then go through the steps of loading either of the two Soundsets via [SF1] . . . nothing happens. The display screen just briefly flashes and all I am left to do is EXIT out of everything.

I really hope to get this problem resolved soon. One of the key reasons why I purchased my new board, is because of the treasure trove of voice libraries available for purchase. I am currently in a ‘70s, ‘80s, & ‘90s cover band, and could really utilize a plethora of those great voices found in both of the 80s Pop/Rock Soundsets.

Fingers crossed,

Andy

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 01, 2013 @ 07:24 PM
stoneb3
Joined  06-05-2011

Good choice. The Motif’s are fine instruments and well suited for live play. Not to mention a first class support forum. Just a small bump in the road, please let us know of your results.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 02, 2013 @ 06:48 AM
Shawshank
Joined  06-17-2013

stoneb3: I 100% agree. Thus so far, I absolutely love my board and this forum has been top notch.

Quick update:

This morning I received this reply from Rick—great guy, by the way:

“Andy, these files worked for others. Would you give them a try.”

Rick

I then proceeded to load the other 80s Pop/Rock Soundset Volume 2 Rick sent me, and again . . . nothing. While I probably know more about Astrophysics than I do about crafting ‘80s voice libraries, for some reason, I just do not think it is my brand new board that is at fault.

My reply to Rick:

“Hey Rick, I really appreciate your reply. Unfortunately, the attached file does not work as well. I just don’t get it? The Vintage Keys library I recently purchased for my MOX8, loads up perfect; and what is funny, is if I load either of the 80s Soundsets as an All FILE . . . they both work!”

“Do you perhaps have any thoughts or suggestions? I truly am sorry for being such a kidney stone and again, I greatly appreciate all of your efforts and fine customer service. Looking forward to your reply.”

Rick’s immediate reply:

“Ah, I see.  Let me look into this and get back to you.”

Rick

[Jeopardy! theme song now playing]

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 05, 2013 @ 04:39 AM
Shawshank
Joined  06-17-2013

Hi all,

I just wanted to briefly update everyone, that working with Rick at Playkeyz via e-mail, we were able to get this issue completely taken care of. The problem was, both of Rick’s 80s Soundsets were limited to loading All FILES; and without an MOX on-hand—which he did not have—he was unable to re-save FILES as Voice FILES and/or other types.

The ultimate solution: John Melas’ Total Librarian. Wow . . . for a MOTIF or an MOX user, this software is seriously worth its weight in gold.

A very big THANK YOU to Rick, stoneb3, cmayhle, and Bad_Mister for all of your time and awesome insight pertaining to this matter.

Cheers,

Andy

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 05, 2013 @ 05:16 AM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

Glad you got this sorted. But it does not explain the issue. 

Fact remains, that you should be able to load individual Voices from either an ALL data file (.X4A), or from an ALL VOICE file (.X4V). How you were not able toils still a mystery to me… And I don’t like unresolved mysteries. Perhaps some shortcut was taken in the preparation or duplication of the data, but I can’t figure out what that might have been or how you wind up with an ALL data file without its individual bank folders occupied… As far as I know, that’s impossible using the MOX.

At any rate, once you have things loaded properly, please make your own ALL data file backup and lose he one the purchased.

[ Ignore ]  

Page 1 of 3