mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "PLEASE HELP!!!!! I CANNOT FORMAT USB DRIVE FOR MOTIF ES"

Posted on: June 22, 2013 @ 09:22 AM
andonesia209
Total Posts:  25
Joined  04-14-2013

HELLO.......

IF ANYONE COULD PLEASE HELP ME WITH THIS SMALL ISSUE THAT HAS TURNED INTO A NIGHTMARE DUE TO HOW DID HE SAY IT A “MISSUNDERSTANDING” THAT HAS OCCURED!

I HAVE A (4GB YAMAHA MOTIF XF USB FLASH DRIVE) THAT IM TRYING TO FORMAT TO FAT16 SO THAT I CAN SAVE MY WORK ON MY MOTIF ES!!

I WENT TO GEEK SQUAD AND HAD THIS DONE PROFESSIONALLY BUT IM USED TO SAVING MY WORK ON MY COMPUTER THRU MY DAW AND THAT’S HOW MY MOTIF ES WAS SET UP. GIVEN THAT THE TRIAL VERSION OF CUBASE 6 HAS EXPIRED I NEED TO STILL BE ABLE TO SAVE MY WORK.

JOOP THOUGHT THAT I WAS GOING TO USE THIS USB DRIVE ON BOTH MY MOTIF ES AND MY MOTIF XF BUT I CLEARLY STATED WHAT BRAND NAME THAT THE USB DRIVE WAS AND THAT AS FAR AS MOTIF’S GO I ONLY OWN A ES.

ANYHOW I REFORMATTED A 3RD TIME BACK TO FAT32 AND NOW HE’S SAYING THAT THERE WAS A MISSUNDERSTANDING AND THAT NOT ONLY DO I NEED TO CONVERT IT BACK TO FAT16 BUT THAT I DO NOT NEED TO REFORMAT IT ONE MORE TIME IN THE MOTIF ES ONCES ITS CONVERTED BACK TO THE FAT16.....(EVEN THOUGH ITS STATED COUNTLESS TIMES BY HIM AND OTHERS THAT YOU ALWAYS NEED TO REFORMAT THE USB DRIVE A SECOND TIME IN THE MOTIFES)!?!?

IM TRYING TO REFORTMAT IT AGAIN FOR A 4TH TIME BACK THRU FAT16 THRU CMD BUT IT STATES THIS

I TYPE:FORMAT J:/FS:FAT16

“THE TYPE OF THE FILE SYSTEM IS FAT32
THE NEW FILE SYSTEM IS FAT16
FORMAT IS NOT AVAILABLE FOR FAT16 DRIVES”!?!!?!?

BTW I JUST NOTICE THAT WHEN I PLUG THIS USB DRIVE INTO THE MOTIF ES ITS NOW SAYING THAT THERE’S 99% MEMORY ON THE CARD BUT WHEN I PLUG IT INTO THE COMPUTER IT SAYS THAT 4KB IS ON THE FLASH DRIVE BUT THERE’S NOTHING ON THE FLASH DRIVE WHAT SO EVER HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE!?!?! THE USB FLASH DRIVE IS COMPLETELY BLANK!?!?!

CAN ANYBODY PLEASE JUST HELP ME WITHOUT ANY SARCASM, INSULTS OR BS..........

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 25, 2013 @ 05:18 AM
TheDukester
Total Posts:  3345
Joined  01-18-2003

“50 Views”? And no response?

Suggest next time you post up, don’t use the ‘caps’. It’s rough on the eyes, especially with all the ranting in the post.

What ‘I’ keep wondering is where are you ‘formating’ the Drive? In the workstation or in the computer?
Just a thought.......

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 25, 2013 @ 08:52 PM
andonesia209
Joined  04-14-2013

FIRST OFF AFTER 50 VIEWS I SHOULD OF GOTTEN A RESPONSE. POINT BLANK PERIOD!!!!!!!!!

2NDLY MY KEYBOARD IS BROKEN SO THAT’S WHY MY CAPS ARE ON BUT I DON’T SEE WHAT DIFFERENCE THAT MAKES IM STILL TYPING IN ENGLISH!! I THINK ITS AMAZING HOW EVERYONE TALKS ABOUT CAPS LIKE I DIDN’T KNOW I WAS TAKING A ENGLISH CLASS WHEN I CAME TO THIS WEBSITE. THIS WEBSITE IS ABOUT MOTIFS THE LAST TIME I CHECK....RIGHT?

3RD. IM FORMATTING BOTH IN THE COMPUTER AND IN THE MOTIF ES. I’VE DONE EVERYTHING THAT I CAN THINK OF TO GET THIS TO WORK.
HOW HARD CAN IT BE ITS JUST A USB DRIVE+MOTIF!?!?!

TRIED FORMATTING IN THE MOTIF

TRIED FORMATTING IN THE COMPUTER

TRIED FORMATTING IN THE COMPUTER AND THE MOTIF

TRIED FORMATTING IN THE MOTIF THEN THE COMPUTER

TRIED FORMATTING IN FAT32( BECAUSE THIS WAS JOOPS ADVICE) SMH
HE CAUSED ME HOURS ACTUALLY DAYS OF INCONVENIENCE AND HE COULDN’T EVEN HELP ME WITH MY PROBLEM AFTER THE SO CALLED “MISUNDERSTANDING”

TRIED FORMATTING IN FAT

TRIED READING THE MANUEL

TRIED DOING RESEARCH ONLINE FOR COUNTLESS HOURS.....

I WILL BE GETTING CUBASE 7 VERY SHOTRY BUT IN THE MEAN TIME AS I’VE STATED I WOULD REALLY LIKE TO BE ABLE TO SAVE MY WORK ON THE USB DRIVE....

THIS WEBSITE WAS DESIGNED TO HELP PEOPLE WITH THERE YAMAHA PRODUCTS NOT DESIGNED TO CRITICIZE PEOPLE FOR THE WAY THEY TALK WITH SLANG OR IF THERE USING IMPROPER GRAMMAR. JUST SAYING.... GET STRAIGHT TO THE DAMN POINT WHEN IT COMES TO HELPING PEOPLE ESPECIALLY YOU PHIL! YOU HAVE THE POTENTIAL TO HELP SO MANY PEOPLE BUT YOU RATHER THEM NOT GET THE MOST OUT OF THERE EQUIPMENT EVIDENTIALLY. SMH

JUST LIKE WHEN I ASKED YOU IF THE PREVIOUS OWNER MAY OF ADJUSTED THE SETTINGS ON MY KEYBOARD AND I WANTED TO KNOW HOW TO SET IT BACK TO THE DEFAULT SETTINGS ON MY KEYBOARD OR IF MY MOTIF WAS ACTUALLY DAMAGED AND YOU WANTED TO BE A SMART AZZ AND SAY “ WELL THE PREVIOUS OWNER ISN’T HERE TO BLAME SO WHY DON’T YOU JUST TRY TO PLACE THE BLAME ON SOMEBODY” COME DUDE. REALLY? SMH

WHEN LOYAL CUSTOMER’S SPEND THOUSAND’S OF DOLLARS ON EQUIPMENT THEY DESERVE GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE WITHOUT ALL THE BULL ZHIT BESIDES IF WE WEREN’T BUYING YAMAHA PRODUCTS YOU GUYS WOULDN’T EVEN HAVE A DAMN JOB!!!!! POINT BLANK PERIOD!

IM SURE I WILL NEVER GET HELP AS ALWAYS....JUST LIKE MOST PEOPLE.....AND IF I DO IT WILL TAKES DAYS MAYBE WEEKS......

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 26, 2013 @ 05:32 AM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005

Slow down, I just saw your post now.

Yes, for the ES the USB media must be formatted FAT16.

For now forget about the PC, let’s focus on the Motif.

With the ES turned on, insert the USB drive.

On the ES, press File -> Config -> Format

See p.265 of the Reference Manual.

Exactly what happens when you do this?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 26, 2013 @ 07:02 AM
TheDukester
Joined  01-18-2003

andonesia209.....In general, ‘Caps’ are offensive. just about anywhere you go on the Internet and post or even have an exchange in conversation, it is peceived as ‘yelling’. It’s ‘your’ keyboard. FIX IT or get another one. I would bet that many of those people who viewed your post were turned off by the caps. “I” myself have looked at this post and wasn’t offended as much as ‘blinded’ by trying to figure out what your issue was. I then offered a suggestion as to why you hadn’t gotten a response, then posed a question. ‘Meatball’ came in and asked a few questions and offered a solution, so a case can be made I broke the ‘ice’ on this issue.

Yes! This site was designed to help people with their workstations. And has served ‘me’ for over 10 years, evidenced by the fact that I still chime in. Participants ‘want’ to help. No one here ‘has to help’. No one here is ‘paid’ to help. Everyone here chimes in to ‘help others’ as ‘they’ were at one time were helped. Not everyone once they have been helped is compelled or as repayment required to help others.

On the ‘Phil’ issue ‘you’ have,and it is ‘YOUR’ issue, for future reference, take your head out of your ass! He is the most qualified to respond here and I would dare say that just about everyone here has been helped by him at some point over some issue. Perhaps his response was based on the framing of your inquiry. The Blame Game works that way. Sounds to ‘me’ a simple ‘Factory Restore’ would have solved your problem, but I digress. But in the end you are not ‘owed’ anything. Keyfax set this us as a ‘courtesy’ to consumers of Yamaha Motif customers. The support is ‘free’. There is ‘some’ expectation of respect and consideration on ‘our’ part. Suggest you consider that.

There are protocals and unwritten rules of courtesies here and everywhere else for Internet communications. Suggest you consider them.
Just a thought....End of Rant!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 26, 2013 @ 09:09 AM
richie1027
Total Posts:  686
Joined  10-14-2008

For $4.00 I’d get a new USB to try.  I didn’t see that option in the post but I didn’t read the entire post

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 26, 2013 @ 01:05 PM
andonesia209
Joined  04-14-2013

FINALLY TO MEATBALL THE PERSON THAT ACTUALLY MATTERS.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION AND YOUR TIME TO ACTUALLY TRY TO PROVIDE ME WITH SOME HELP. I HAVE DONE WHAT YOU HAVE SUGGESTED COUNTLESS TIMES BEFORE AND WHEN I DO IT SAYS
“NOW WORKING”
WHEN THE FORMAT SCREEN POPS UP AFTER THIS HAPPENS THIS IS WHAT IT SHOWS.

FILE
FORMAT USB SLOT 1
TYPE=ALL
VOLUME LABEL [ ]
FREE 3.7GB/ 3.7GB

IF I TRY TYPING IN A VOLUME LABEL IT SAYS
!"UNKNOWN ERROR.  ( -1 ) !?!?

IF I PUSH “NEW” TO TRY TO MAKE A NEW FOLDER IT SAYS
“DISK OR CARD NOT READY.”

SO I PUT THE USB DRIVE IN THE COMPUTER MAKE A FOLDER CALLED “INSTRUMENTALS” AND WHEN I PUT IT BACK INTO THE MOTIF IT DOESNT EVEN SEE THE FOLDER....ALTHOUGH THIS HAS NOT ALWAYS BEEN THE CASE

WHEN I TRY TO SAVE SOMTHING ITS NOT EVEN LETTING ME NAME IT AND I HAVE THE TYPE ON “ALL” SO IT WILL SAVE EVERYTHING....STILL NO LUCK. AND AGAIN ON THIS PART OF MY PROBLEM THIS HAS NOT ALWAYS BEEN THE CASE.....

I’VE ALREADY WENT TO PATTERN>JOB>PATTERN>PATTERN NAME AND NAME IT BUT THIS ALSO DOES’NT HELP ANY.....!?!?

IF I COULD GET THIS DAMN USB DRIVE TO WORK FOR THE TIME BEING IT WOULD BE GREATLY APPERCIATED BUT I JUST CAN’T WAIT TO GET CUBASE 7....SO MUCH EASYIER.......*SIGNS*

P.S. AGAIN KEEP IN MY I HAVE A YAMAHA XF USB DRIVE THAT IM TRYING TO USE TO SAVE DATA ON WITH MY MOTIF ES!

THANKS IN ADVANCE TO MEATBALL AND EVERYONE ELSE WHO IS ACTUALLY GOING TO HELP. HAVE A GREAT DAY EVERYONE.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 26, 2013 @ 01:38 PM
TheDukester
Joined  01-18-2003

andonesia209 .....No one would know just how stupid and presumptuos you are if you didn’t try and attack ‘me’.

‘Kid’? Thanks for the compliment. At my age, people don’t refer to me as ‘kid’ too often.

I actually felt bad for you having had 50 people look at your post and no response. I ‘suggested’ you lose the ‘caps’ because in spite of you ‘Wiki-search’, in Internet Etiquette is ‘is’ shouting.

Well....that’s more than enough time wasted on ‘you’. Good luck with your formating.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 26, 2013 @ 01:59 PM
meatballfulton
Joined  01-25-2005
andonesia209 - 26 June 2013 01:05 PM

WHEN THE FORMAT SCREEN POPS UP AFTER THIS HAPPENS THIS IS WHAT IT SHOWS.

FILE
FORMAT USB SLOT 1
TYPE=ALL
VOLUME LABEL [ ]
FREE 3.7GB/ 3.7GB

IF I TRY TYPING IN A VOLUME LABEL IT SAYS
!"UNKNOWN ERROR.  ( -1 ) !?!?

IF I PUSH “NEW” TO TRY TO MAKE A NEW FOLDER IT SAYS
“DISK OR CARD NOT READY.”

From p.268 of the Reference Manual:

Formatting a SmartMedia/USB storage device

1 Insert USB storage device to the USB TO DEVICE connector. If necessary, insert the proper media into the slot of the USB storage device.
2 Press the [FILE] mode to enter the File mode.
3 Press the [F1] CONFIG button, then [SF3] FORMAT button to call up the Format display.
4 Select the media to be formatted. Move the cursor to the Format value location and select “USB.” When selecting “USB,” specify the slot number at the right top of the display as necessary and select the partition to be formatted at the Type value location in the second line of the display.
5 Set the Volume Label. Move the cursor to the “Volume Label” and input a Volume Label.
6 Press the [ENTER] button. (The display prompts you for confirmation.)
7 Press the [INC/YES] button to execute the Format. After formatting has been completed, a “Completed” message appears and operation returns to the original display.

OK, if you do the above (skip #5 for now) do you get the Completed message?

Until this is working nothing else matters...no amount of messing around on your PC will help, OK?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 26, 2013 @ 02:02 PM
richie1027
Total Posts:  686
Joined  10-14-2008

You da man meatball!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 26, 2013 @ 03:01 PM
andonesia209
Joined  04-14-2013

SOUNDS A LITTLE SEXIST DON’T YOU THINK? WHAT IF HE WAS A GIRL? LOL

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 26, 2013 @ 03:40 PM
andonesia209
Joined  04-14-2013

THANK YOU SO MUCH MEATBALL......but as always I don’t get past step 4.....
I do EVERYTHING that it says in step 4 but regardless if I skip step 5 or not when I do step 6 and then 7 I still get the same
“Unknown error ( -1 )” message!?!?!
With the cursor on slot 1 that’s the only option that there is and same with type=All.....

This error message pops up every time I do step 6 and 7 regardless of where the cursor is placed....

I have even had Geek Squad to format this usb drive to FAT16 just to make sure it was done correctly but nothing I do makes a difference....really starting to feel hopeless....I can’t wait till I get Cubase 7....

Any other idea’s/suggestion’s.....meatball.....anybody!?!?

P.S. I was just about to send this message but I started playing with the motif.....It wouldn’t let me make a “new” folder before but now its letting me make new folders, it is even letting me save my work however when I try to load it back up its saying “illgal file name” and when I plug it into the computer nothing shows up at all accept the “instrumental” folder I put on there a while ago.....but when I plug it back into motif that doesn’t show up ....So only what I create on the motif can be pulled up on the motif(but I can’t load my work after I save it) and only what I create on the computer can be pulled up on the computer...that can’t be right....What the hell is going on here?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 27, 2013 @ 04:02 PM
meatballfulton
Joined  01-25-2005

All menus on the Motif are context sensitive. That means in the File menu you can only see files that the Motif understands. For example, since the Motif cannot open a Microsoft Word .doc file or an .mp3 file you will never see those in the File menu even if they are on the drive.Being able to see the folder you created on the PC sometimes but not other times is because some contexts are not able to view that folder while others are.

As far as the 4KB that Windows cannot see on the USB device, that is housekeeping files that Windows leaves behind after formatting the device.  You do not want to format the drive using Windows, you want the Motif to format it because as you can see when formatted by the PC the Motif can’t read it properly! Trust me, if you can get the Motif to fomrat the drive your PC will read it just fine.

From what you write you have a 4GB thumb drive.

I located the following Yamaha FAQ:

Last Update: 11/17/2011

The Motif ES series will not recognize flash drives larger than 2Gigabytes. Compatible flash drives must formatted to FAT-16 and not have preloaded software on them such as U3.  There is no update to address the size limitation.

BTW this is not a Yamaha or Motif only issue, it is a Microsoft DOS formatting issue!

From this Microsoft FAQ:

Microsoft MS-DOS versions 4.0 and later allow FDISK to partition hard disks up to 4 gigabytes (GB) in size. However, the MS-DOS file allocation table (FAT) file system can support only 2 GB per partition. Because of this fact, a hard disk between 2 and 4 GB in size must be broken down into multiple partitions, each of which does not exceed 2 GB.

So get a 2GB thumb drive and all will be well. You might have to order online as most stores no longer stock a drive that small.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Dubstep MIDIkit for ES
Next Topic:

Original ES software ››