mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "using a tv sound bar for on stage monitoring foldback"

Posted on: June 19, 2013 @ 03:28 AM
Col
Total Posts:  4
Joined  05-28-2013

Hi All

I use a Motif XS6 and Roland Fantom G6 in a covers band. I also play guitar (Rickenbacker 330 into V-amp straight into main PA). I currently use a 100W powered wedge monitor which takes a mix from the main desk.

I find that it is very directional, making it awkward when I play guitar. It is also relatively large, and takes up too much space, particularly in some of the smaller venues. It is also another heavy lump to cart around and I am always keen to try and reduce effort!

I was thinking of trying a tv sound bar, which could be mounted on my double x stand, just above the back of the keyboard on the bottom “tier”.

Before I go out and experiment I thought I would ask if anyone else has tried this or got any other suggestions? Any info would be appreciated.

I have tried in-ear monitoring and really didn’t like it, so not keen to go that route.

Thanks

Col

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 20, 2013 @ 10:35 AM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011
Col - 19 June 2013 03:28 AM

...Before I go out and experiment I thought I would ask if anyone else has tried this or got any other suggestions? ....

Well Col, I don’t have any experience with a TV sound bar as near field monitor, but I have gone through the same process that you are going through (exhaustively) and can let you know how I solved the problem.

I simply did not have the room to position typical floor wedge monitors to produce satisfactory sound for my (2) keyboard stand-behind rig.

On the 3rd page of This Thread I provide a description and photos of my personal near field monitor solution.  In use over the ensuing year since I posted this information, my satisfaction with this particular setup has only been reinforced time after time.

You obviously would have to customize something like this arrangement for your own rig.  However, the monitors used here could be adapted much like you are envisioning your TV bar and would result in a much higher level of monitoring quality...not to mention all of the signal routing and mixing capability built-in.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 22, 2013 @ 05:51 AM
Col
Total Posts:  4
Joined  05-28-2013

cmayhle

Thanks for the response. I had a look at your other thread and like what you did with the speaker mounts, although I’m not sure I would want to do that to my motif. I love your home made lamp too.

What kind of music do play in your band and what size venues do you play?

I play in a covers band, venues range from small pubs up to largish halls, but on stage levels are generally fairly consistent.

Cheers

Col

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 22, 2013 @ 09:39 AM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011

Hi Col, the band is a six-piece and we do a wide range of music in both small and large venues.

The great thing about a near field monitor setup is that the stage sound is quite consistent for me.

I send a stereo feed via snake to the FOH mixer, and get a monitor mix of vocals and/or other instruments back from the board.  Because my keyboards are routed to a small personal mixer, they get split and sent separately to the FOH board and to my monitors.  The vocal monitor feed coming back from the main board (sans keyboards) goes directly into a separate channel of my monitor units, so I am not re-amplifying my keyboards.  And because my keyboard sounds are on separate monitor channels from the vocal/band fold-back, I have complete control over the balance of the two right at my fingertips.  It really works great.  I also happen to use a small personal sub-woofer to get the real essence of the incredible Motif sound range, but that is not a requirement.

I can understand being hesitant about retrofitting your keyboard the way I have done, but keep in mind this type of monitor is mountable on a typical mike stand.  They only weigh a little over 7 pounds.

The main thing is to get the sound off the floor and up closer to your ears (which you have obviously come to realize by way of your TV sound bar concept).  Then the sound doesn’t get lost bouncing off the underside of your keyboards or hitting you around mid-thigh in a tight stage setup.  Your overall monitor level can be reduced, by virtue of the proximity to your ears, and that helps the whole band control the stage sound and volume.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 31, 2013 @ 06:25 PM
markadeleon
Total Posts:  62
Joined  09-14-2012

hope not to late but this is what I use on our cramped altar at church.

I have this on a mic stand at should level while sitting right in front of me. 

No more floor wedge and dropping my head to move my ear closer to hear the sound.  it is right in front of me and I can control volume right there.

I am sure I can foot pedal it somehow to control volume from the floor, but this unit is awesome.

[ Ignore ]