mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Seem to be getting nowhere…"

Posted on: June 17, 2013 @ 10:03 AM
Michael Penner
Total Posts:  79
Joined  01-07-2013

First off, I’d like to thank everyone that’s tried to help me in regards to setting up my XF and my computer with Cubase. I just can’t figure it out. I’m a piano/guitar/bass player with absolutely no MIDI skills whatsoever.
I’ve spent countless hours reading all the pertinent material that came with my XF and Cubase and I just cannot seem to figure out how to make this all work and more yet understand it. I’m not sure if I should get a book relating to MIDI and the basics and start there, or if I should continue rereading all the material I stated above? I feel like a complete failure Trying to make this all work when others seem to be able to dive right in and enjoy the benefits of their DAW. I’m an old-school guy. Started out with a Tascam 8-track analog system years back and then a few years ago purchased a stand-alone digital recorder which kind of works the same way as my analog equipment did (Tascam Neo 2488), but I really like the idea of being able to cut/paste,etc. and see the benefits of a DAW as exciting by all the things you’re able to do with it, but like I said, I feel like an idiot when it comes to understanding it all. I don’t know if its the questions, or the answers, but I’m getting nowhere!!!
I’ve had a lot of time on my hands lately as I’m recovering from a surgery for the next several months and I thought to myself, what a great time to be able to learn how to use all this neat new stuff I have, only to become discouraged in my inability to understand and utilize it.
If anyone has a soloution to my dilemma, I’m all ears. I’ve got plenty of time to learn, I just have no idea where to start? And it looks like I need to start from the very begining?

Thank to everyone on this forum! This is one of the best forums I visit, as there isn’t all the BS, and trash talk like many of the others I’ve visited. There are very knowledgable individuals here that actually take the time and effort to help, and for that I’m very grateful!

Kind regards
Michael

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 17, 2013 @ 11:21 AM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011

I can certainly relate to your frustration, but can’t do a lot to offer you assistance as recording to a DAW is not something I have been able to devote a lot of time to yet.

However, This Thread, or perhaps more specifically the product referenced, might be a good investment.

Especially considering it is either $7 (W/Free ground shipping) or Free, depending on where you are located.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 17, 2013 @ 11:59 AM
MrMotif
Total Posts:  1122
Joined  10-02-2002

Michael,

You are not alone and you certainly don’t sound like, well… But help is at hand, both here on the forums and with a new instructional video on music production using XS/XF that is currently getting underway. The video will both cover internal recording processes and recording with DAWs.

Both internal and external recording involve/require some knowledge of MIDI. MIDI is not rocket science but neither is it entirely simple to grasp, especially if you come from a pre-MIDI era. But you will get it, and then you’ll have an incredibly powerful system at your disposal.

We’ll let the community know the timescale of the music production video in the next week as the schedule gets firmed up.

MM

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 17, 2013 @ 12:27 PM
Michael Penner
Joined  01-07-2013

Thank you, for your reply and your sense of my frustration!!!
In the beginning I was frustrated as my computer wasn’t up to spec, Windows XP 2.93GHz pentium 4 w/ 1gb ram. Hence, prohibiting me from using AI 6. So, Steinberg in all their kindness, gave me a copy of AI 5. All is up to spec as of now.
Somehow Yamaha had also heard my dilemma (I believe through their affiliation with Steinberg/support) and in their kindness as well, said they were shipping me a Cubase DVD tutorial… I believe it is the one that you had referenced in your link??? I’m hoping so, and also that it clears up much of the confusion I seem to be having. I still think a lot may be missing because of my lack of ANY MIDI experience??? If anyone knows where I could obtain the best information on the absolute basics of MIDI, books, DVD, etc. I would be extremely grateful. I’ve searched the net and the only real information i can find on MIDI is what it is and what it’s used for… I could kick myself for not learning this years ago when I really should have!!! I’ve always been so caught up with my old analog habits, and practicing/performing that MIDI never really was a need for me, but should have been!!!  Only now, am I seeing the true benefits of having this knowledge. And being an XF owner, I feel that I’m missing so much of what this wonderful instrument can truly do. I like the idea of having everything in front of me, cut/paste, etc. it just seems so cool that his technology even exists!!!  What’s miserable is that I don’t possess the knowledge to utilize it!!! DRATS!!!

Thanks again to everyone
Michael

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 17, 2013 @ 02:32 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
cmayhle - 17 June 2013 11:21 AM

However, This Thread, or perhaps more specifically the product referenced, might be a good investment.

Especially considering it is either $7 (W/Free ground shipping) or Free, depending on where you are located.

Are you sure about the free ground shipping? When I tried to order it and selected that option, the indication was that didn’t apply.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 17, 2013 @ 02:59 PM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011
5pinDIN - 17 June 2013 02:32 PM
cmayhle - 17 June 2013 11:21 AM

Are you sure about the free ground shipping? When I tried to order it and selected that option, the indication was that didn’t apply.

Hi 5pinDIN, I ordered this within about an hour after the announcement on Friday by MrMotif in the linked thread.  I was kind of surprised when the free shipping option popped up, as he had mentioned “plus shipping”...but I wasn’t going to complain. 

So...yes there was free shipping on Friday when I ordered, but at some point after that the option was apparently pulled!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 17, 2013 @ 04:46 PM
MrMotif
Joined  10-02-2002

Oh boy! we can’t get away with anything, can we? :)

There was an internal ‘miscommunication’ and although our mailer has always quoted the price of $7 plus shipping, shipping was inadvertently ‘removed’ on Friday and so anyone ordering it then before our error was spotted, was indeed given free shipping.

Since we have dropped the price by over half anyhow, we hope that people won’t be too upset at having to pay a couple of bucks for shipping but to those earlybirds who got the free shipping, well, that’s totally fair enough of course. Our bad.

If you live in Europe and Yamaha wants to send these out for free that’s fantastic but sadly, we are not Yamaha and don’t have their resources!

MM

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 17, 2013 @ 04:53 PM
MrMotif
Joined  10-02-2002

Michael,

Forgive the shameless plug (but as site owners we’re allowed!) but you might want to take a look at the MIDI scene in our series written with Alan Parsons: The Art & Science Of Sound Recording.

http://www.artandscienceofsound.com

If you just want this scene you can get it for 5 bucks as a download. Or, you might want to pick up the whole series / DVD etc.

The MIDI scene is quite detailed and actually shows Alan at his XS. I think it’ll give you a pretty good basic understanding, from which you can then grow, add to your knowledge etc.

There are books but most are extremely old and do not, imho, cover MIDI in how it appears today. Even in our MIDI scene we don’t cover detailed specifics about how to set everything up with your Motif and Cubase etc but it definitely will give you a solid understanding of what you’re doing, what MIDI is here to accomplish etc. And that, to be honest, is half the battle.

MM

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 17, 2013 @ 06:16 PM
Michael Penner
Joined  01-07-2013

Thank you for the info. How did everyone who utilizes these tools get their skills???
I mean, there is a tremendous amount of information involved (to me anyway) in setting parameters, etc. just on the Motif itself. Getting the Motif to communicate with the computer has been a project in itself!!!
Example: Phil (Bad Mister) had mentioned some quick set-up options that I didn’t realize were even available.
I know Phil, for instance, has been around the hardware/software scene for a while, and being affiliated with Yamaha helps in his knowledge of the instrument, giving him an advantage in every aspect, but to the average joe like me, is a DVD going to fill in a lot, not all of course, of the blanks??? I guess what I’m saying is not only am I frustrated (totally my fault) but I’m jealous!!! Maybe someone else, that’s been where I’m at recently, can chime in and update me on their journey and on how they made the transition???
I really do appreciate all of your help and please don’t think that I’m trying to be difficult in any fashion. I spend a lot of time here behind the scenes just reading and re-reading posts and trying to acquire as much info as I can. I so look forward to the day when I have the knowledge to actually post something of significance in order to reward someone like me, who is in the begining phase of their journey!!!

Regards
Michael

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 17, 2013 @ 06:27 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
MrMotif - 17 June 2013 04:46 PM

Oh boy! we can’t get away with anything, can we? :)

There was an internal ‘miscommunication’ and although our mailer has always quoted the price of $7 plus shipping, shipping was inadvertently ‘removed’ on Friday and so anyone ordering it then before our error was spotted, was indeed given free shipping.

Since we have dropped the price by over half anyhow, we hope that people won’t be too upset at having to pay a couple of bucks for shipping but to those earlybirds who got the free shipping, well, that’s totally fair enough of course. Our bad.

If you live in Europe and Yamaha wants to send these out for free that’s fantastic but sadly, we are not Yamaha and don’t have their resources!

MM

The order page currently indicates:
Free Ground Shipping
Free $0.00
UPS
Free Ground Shipping for U.S. orders over $199
(excluding cases)
Ground $13.76
3 Day Select $23.63
2nd Day Air $28.74
Next Day Air $64.88

I can certainly understand if free shipping isn’t available. However, the next least expensive shown is $13.76, so it’s kind of disingenuous to refer to it as “a couple of bucks”.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Sustain in Perf. Mode
Next Topic:

Problem with duplicate waveforms on FL1 ››